SC Remastered crashes, OG can't find disc

Hi. I tried submitting a ticket, but ironically I got an error saying I couldn’t. Here goes nothing, I’ll try to make myself as clear as possible in this forum instead.

TL;DR: Original Starcraft can’t read “a required file” from disc despite having worked for years. It stopped working after trying a Remastered install.

-Remastered crashes
-Spawn won’t do MP
-Original SC/BW won’t launch.

Hi.

I played the Starcraft 1 campaign from disc just last week without problem. I then tried to enter the Multiplayer section only to there be asked to update. Manually or automatically, I downloaded the Remastered version.

Finishing the download, I pressed Play but the game crashed every time. Since I suspected this could be a Nvidia graphics card error, I didn’t want to mess around with drivers and updates because similar issues have occurred before, in GTA V, where I have spent over 20 hours in bug and crash support chats. I have a slightly older driver, but it now works in all games including GTA V. I do not wish to go into graphics card updates again as that will mess up my entire computer.

I uninstalled the Remastered version and tried to launch SC again. There, they said I only had the Spawn version installed (but it’s the full). I uninstalled + reinstalled SC+BW original versions from a 2007 purchased Medallion disc again, which has worked on every single computer I have ever owned. Installing Retail works, as does installing Brood War on top, but when trying to launch either SC or SC+BW, it always gives the following message:

“Starcraft is unable to read a required file. Your Starcraft CD may not be in the CDROM drive. Please ensure that the Starcraft disc is in the CDROM drive and press OK. To leave the program, press Exit. [OK] [Exit]”

If I install the Spawn version, it launches just fine, only I (obviously) can’t start the campaign, and the Multiplayer section only tosses me into the installation process of Remastered, which won’t launch once installed. This is disturbing not only because I can’t get any further in the Multiplayer section - I can also not continue the SP campaign I was playing before. The savefiles are backed up elsewhere, though.

Playing remastered would be nice, but for now let’s just focus on installing the original game to let me play the campaign through. Unless, fixing the Remastered issue is baby simple and doesn’t require Nvidia fiddling. Either way, I must be able to install OG SC+BW from disc at my leisure.

Thanks in advance.

In this case, the disc install is very likely causing the issue. The first step here would be to uninstall SC completely then redownload the game from the game download section on your account.

Once the download is complete try running the game again. Taking a look there doesn’t appear to be any Crash Reports submitted to us currently from your crashes, did you submit them to us or note the IDs of the crash? With the IDs once submitted we can investigate what is causing the crash at least.

Also can you please upload your system files to pastebin.com and reply with the links to the files using the preformatted text option to encapsulate the links.