[BUG?] Exited game but HC char was still “in game”, was unable to reenter, and char died…restore?

On Sunday I was farming hell pit with my barb and I saved and exited during one of the runes.

Everything seemed fine, i had my full char rooster, including my barb alive.

However, shortly after I tried to make a new game with barb and i received a msg that i cannot make a new game because my barb “was still in game”. This was absurd since i manually left the game back to lobby, had no crash or whatsoever.

What is worse, even though my barb was “still in game”, i incurred this between-game cooldown and had to wait 1 minute before i could once again try to enter.

However, even after 1 minute i received message that my barb “was still in game”.

I restarted diablo 2, logged again and this time my barb was Dead…

When I left the game my barb (74 lv) was full HP (2,6k hp, max resist, 20% absorb, DR etc), he was fully geared - including GRIEF - and had geared merc alive. The next pack was far away, on the edge of the screen.

It is obvious for me that for some reason, even though i manually left the game back to lobby, my barb got stuck in game and was being slowly eaten by mobs for 1-3 minutes, while the same time the game prohibited me from entering and at the same time keeping my barb in game.

This is so frustrating and soul crushing that wants me to uninstall diablo 2.

I understand that some lag/stuff can happen and kill your hc charater. Thats part of the game.

But the situation when i “leave” the game but the server ignores me and makes me “watch” my barb die is just unacceptable.

I sincerely hope that my char will be restored but i doubt it (i ve never seen a HC restored in my life).

At least fix this bug for future players. Because after such stuff i just cannot force myself to continue playing my other chars (besides barb i got other fully geared high level chars) and invest my time, only to waste it by this kind of unfair bugs.

Nesh#2710

Char: KharnReborn (europe)

It would be so unfair, if you did not restore him - it was clearly mishandle on your (Blizzard) part, as char should not be active (in game) after i saved and exit…

Kind regards

Hey Nash,

Sorry to hear that you lost your Barbarian, I can only imagine how frustrating this situation has been. We haven’t had any similar report in the past, and the situation that you’re describing would happen if you lost connection to the game, and didn’t / couldn’t log out properly.

That being said, I’m afraid that there’s simply no tool that would allow you (or us) to restore any lost data in game (be it items, or characters).

If you do believe that you did indeed log out properly in town, please do submit a bug report with as many information you can remember (character name, class, level, date, time, etc.) so that our developers may look into this issue for you.

Good luck with your next character, wishing you all the best. :pray:

Same thing happed to me this day at pindle…

Killed pindle → exited game manually too lobby → could not make new game since char ‘‘was stuck in game’’ → restarted diablo → still stuck in game → bum dead…

I am beyond mad that stuff like this can happen…
New to hardcore and just put everything i had into this one char only to see this happen…

Great experience

Hey, i just lost my char for same issue.
Never ever will be blizzard customer.
Ruined bugged game company!