NVIDIA Cards / Fire effects lead to crash

So WTF… My post got removed two times in a row, because it is assumed as “spam” when I do an edit?!

So, a third attempt… Hi! :slight_smile:

I am continuously experiencing issues with CoDs because the nvlddmkm.sys driver hangs up and gets reset. That is being logged in the “System” category of the OS eventlog, followed by an “Info” entry from the Windows kernel throwing an exception 0x887A0006 (= DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) in the “Application” category.

I can say nearly for a 100% that this only occurs when the game displays (a lot of) fire effects. It seems to ghet even worse when the loot overlay is triggered visible.
Foremost this happens when killing Shenk and it is raining fire afterwards. Then I can reliably reproduce the following when standing still with the fire effects visible on screen:

massive FPS drop while the fire effects go crazier and crazier
→ game freezing for several seconds
→ all other video-related applications freeze as well (e.g. a video in the browser)
→ crash to desktop with the aboved mentioned errors in the OS eventlog

Two other locations are Travincal (council) and Bhaal (council wave) when they are spawning a lot of hydras simultaneously. Also it does not happen here that much, it still does from time to time.

System:
Ryzen 7 3700X (no OC)
Asus RTX 3070 “ROG OC” @ WQHD
Windows 10 20H1, up to date patches
Game runs at max details
VSync is on + frame limit set to 75 (maximum of my monitor)

• I can run every other game just fine! (e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 @ max details + full raytracing @ WQHD)
  • I can run a Furmark GPU stresstest withuot any issues
  • CPU and GPU temps are ok all the time (<60° C), can’t even hear the fans
  • did a clean reinstall of the latest NVIDIA drivers
  • did a repair of the game files
  • system health is perfectly fine (chkdsk, sfc, dism etc.)

So, is anyone having the same issues? I doubt it is a proplem with my rig…

5 Likes

Heya Moon,

Sorry to hear that you’ve been crashing. Based on your description it seems that your drivers are getting into a bad state and being restarted (which would be why other video-related apps are also going down).

Have you tried clean installing your drivers:

• Choose custom installation
  • Choose install without GeForce experience
  • Untick the 3D driver components (if listed)
  • Click clean install
  • Continue and complete the installation as per normal

Similarly, as your account appears to be factory overclocked from it’s description, let’s test debug mode:

• Right-click your Desktop
  • Click Nvidia Control panel
  • Click help
  • Select Debug mode

Note you must clean install the driver to remove this for most GPU’s

If the issue persists, please upload your system files to pastebin and reply with the links to the files using the preformatted text option to encapsulate the links.

Hey,

as noted above I already did a clean reinstall of the latest drivers but it did not solve the issue.

I tested the debug mode, but that does not change anything either.

msinfo32 (error reporting full of D2R.exe):
https://pastebin.com/8gpYYd0f

dxdiag:
https://pastebin.com/u1T4Ay75

In this thread (D2R crash after killing Shenk - #30 by Alex-2317) it was already mentioned by blue “Yryadorne” that there seems to be a bug with Shenk (“known issue with the game itself”). Can we expect a fix for this?

Hey, I have the same problem.

I mainly run Chaos Sanctuary with my paladin, so I have to get through the River of Flame.
As soon as I get to like the half of it, the game crashes and takes the graphics card driver with it (Youtube on 2nd screen goes green and I have to reload the site).
I played the whole friday without any problems, then after I quit, the small patch got installed through the BattleNet-App.
The problems startet today, as I wasn’t playing the whole weekend.

Specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
RAM: 32 GB 2133 RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super, driver-ver: 496.49

Edit: I opened up the Task-Manager to check whats happening during a crash:
The graphics card is around like 60-70% during play. A short time before the game crashes, the load spikes at 100% for like 3-4 secs, then the driver crashes.

User Gamma found a workaround, see here: D2R crash after killing Shenk - #43 by Gamma-2190

Same crash, 6900XT 5900X w10 ultimate

Just out of curiosity (but likely this would be the latest driver issue) - is everythig fine when you press legacy graphics with G?

yes typical for a Console import , runs on windows system a bit stress full . press “G” after killing shenk. or go away from the animation. dont install old grafic driver. and dont upload you System informations if a Community Manager asking , and he isnt giving any bckup to you. Er will sich nur wichtig tun , der hat da keine ahnung von den zahlen und daten was da steht. Antialiasing must be off

While this is true of course, there is the point that the games chrashes all the time with the latest drivers. With the “old” drivers from 08/21 it works “fine” for the moment. But of course the problem must see a fix soon…

Im having the exact same problem in the exact same areas…
5900x
asus tuf 3080
dominator 3600
asus crosshair hero viii

same problem -.- !! Gforce rtx 2060 6 Gb . 64 Gb Ram , Intel 11 gen

Same problem… And older gfx card… 950 GTX… Game runs perfectly in every other area… But as soon as i get into river of flame, i freezes for 15 seconds, crashes some times… But many times it survive… And as i proceed through the area, there is several lag stops along the way. Im guessing it freezes and crash when it starts loading in a new section of the area…

Cant turn down fire effects to see if that helps in the option.

Latest drivers… tried several…

It seems that the problem is the area coding or the game.

Please get it patched and fixed… The game is 22 years old… Shouldn’t have any problems with the game.

Still an issue and been an issue since the D2R was released! Recently, I now crash when killing the council and they spawn a million hydras on top of each other. Nvidia 3060

Do we know for sure the problem lies in the game itself or is an nvidia driver bug?

Same problem I5 - (Latest drivers) RTX 4070 TI ( Last Driver 528.24 WHQL) Windows 11 22h2 (last update) - D2R crash after the killing Shenk (
Tested on another RX580 card (the latest Adrenalin 22.11.2 Recommended (WHQL) driver) had no problems (only a strong FPS drop after killing Shenk)

Same problem here too :confused:

Same issue. Game crashes in River of Flame. Scanning game files seemed to fix it at first, but now it’s crashing again.

Drivers are up to date.