0.5 / 1 sec freezes in Diablo 3 S21

Hello,
I’m having issues with diablo and only in this game as far as i know. It does not seem to happen in any other games i play.
The gameplay legit just freezes for 0.5 sec and then the gameplay continues as normal for a while (I can move my cursor during this, so its not some sort of lockup)
There is no logic behind it in my mind, it can happen every other rift or just stay fine for an entire day / Grift session.
For example, i played the entire launch from 5 pm to 9 am without having a single stutter and today (Saturday) has been by far the worst experience.

I ended up doing a test stream just to get a clip of it.
Full 40~ min vod: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/670364880
Clip of the freeze: https://www.twitch.tv/melindaz/clip/ArtsyKawaiiShieldKeepo

As you can see in the clip it happens back to back in a really short amount of time, and i streamed for atleast 30 min before this happen and both fps and the gameplay was really smooth up to this point.

I have done quite abit of research and tried several things to hopefully get this fixed but im out of luck. At this point im literally pulling my hair out!
I really wanna enjoy S21, but this is a huge turn off for me - and it prevents me from playing Hardcore.

Specs:
Windows 10, 1909
9900ks 5.2 ghz
2080ti MSI trio
G.skill 3200 mhz 32GB ram
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
500/500 - on wired internet ofc.

I’d really appreciate it if you have had a similar issue and managed to fix it. Let me know!

This is what a clanmember of mine did:

Hey,
Already tried this and didnt work unfortunately.

I have similar problems. But might not be exact as yours. I have ping issues, and I checked my internet and it’s fine. Sometimes the ping shoots through the roof and I get around 700-900 ping. It only happens when I play Diablo 3. Haven’t tried other games though.

For me the solution was to hit the option in graphics menue which lowers special effects. Guess it had something to do with the new stuff happening. Mostly the freeze occured when these green meteors started. If you hadn’t tried this option maybe you should. Best regards

I didnt wanna jinx myself, but i have played for several days now after testing this and havent had a single freeze since sunday evening.
I found some guy which had the exact same issue and he fixed it by changing the hardwareclass to 2 in d3prefs.txt. I usually default to 4 and have only tried that and 1, which made no difference.
Also added a command to the command line argument in battle.net launcher:
“-usepageflip” (without the quotations), not sure if its the hardwareclass or the command that fixed it.

If anyone can confirm that this command actually do anything and/or what it does it would be great.

It also seems like the game has some major memory leak issues. Did like 15 bounty runs and some rifts and the game was using closer to 10GB of my ram, not like it matters in my case - but i could clearly notice the game ran much worse.
A quick restart fixes it, so its an easy fix for me.

I deleted the d3prefs.txt and then added “-usepageflip” in the "Additional command line arguments.
Launched game and did not have the issue with freezing again. I do see your point about the memory leak. I hope Blizzard fixes that. Also hope they do something about the freezing so we don’t have to work around it.

I am running an i9 9900K with a RTX 2070 and 32GB RAM. All my drives are SSDs. So, there really should not be freezing. lol

Hello,

If you experience freezes or lockups in Diablo 3, please try the following steps:

Also be aware that Blizzard’s own developers have acknowledged an issue between Diablo III’s sound system and Windows 10 version 2004…

You can check the version of Windows you’re on by typing WINVER into the search bar. If it’s 2004, it’s likely to be whatever the devs are trying to fix.