Auction house removing was a mistake

Hello, do you also think that removing auction house was a mistake? (the gold one, not real money AH)
I think that possibility of buing items from someone else for gold was a much better way to get items in comparison to “drop everything within 1 day” (not a best in slot but to complete build).

2 Likes

No.

4 Likes

When the auction house existed the game was so very, very different from what it is now.
From a hardcore point of view it could be convenient if you could just farm a lot of gold and then be able to equip new heroes in no time.

1 Like

Yes, Loved the real money ah what a shame

1 Like

giving people the opportunity to wine about ah removal is the only misstake they made

2 Likes

Not really. Of course back then, farming patterns were different. Nowdays, after a few days into a season you begin to swim in legendary items so there is no point. From where i stand, an auction house would be no different than an npc selling all the items you want. Both boring and counter-productive but that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

Since once I made a sell on item - made about 20 billion on game… taking out AH is good!

Well I like the way they do it on PoE, it’s a shame Blizz can’t do the same… so yeah, in that retrospect, it’s a loss…

1 Like

I think the AH drove the game in a way they didn’t expect. But Blizzard leaving Diablo without any kind of trade was… A disappointment. Don’t get me wrong I still play some Diablo 3, mostly seasons beginning and doing the Journey Season. But would have been good if the process of building a char could take a week at least or so, and have the option to trade items. Now on day one of the season we’re running 100s in 2 mins, then the rest of the season is repeating the same because the main core of the character is already done. Why are rare items irrelevant? Set or unique only.

Anyway, Sights on Diablo 4, let’s see what happens…

The removal of the Auction House, in all its forms, was the best thing that happened to Diablo III.

It’s very existence nearly destroyed the entire franchise!

3 Likes

PoE may have trade, but the items of worth are not for casuals ever to buy or think about how many leagues you will collect currency until finally you could afford one head hunter. Items for xx exhalts and if you are lucky maybe you get ten in 3months. I like PoE but Trade only makes bad sad drop rates ingame.
D3 with AH was an idea that showed after some time, the ones using them had no intend to play the game, because sniping and reselling items gave much more gold than playing the game 24 hours a day. Good we have no longer AH.

Trade is for fast progression of chharacter, so you would not have to play long times. And with D3 and today´s drop rates trading is no longer needed.
Or remeber the one who bought an echoing fury for 2400$, while we had a cap of 2mrd gold.

It originally sold for whatever the RMAH transaction limit was at the time, which I think was 250 Euros. The person who bought it at the price then traded it via a third party website for the equivalent of around $9700 (at the exchange rate at the time)…

…and this is why, when open trading in-game is possible, it doesn’t matter what the in-game currency is, rare / desired items will be traded off-site / out of game for cold, hard cash.

1 Like

I kinda get your point. I would love to have some kind of opportunity to trade worthless legos (to me), and in return get something that can make me trade for a lego or setpiece that I currently don’t have. Like a simplified POE-trade mechanic or something.

Auction House - Early Diablo 3
Microtransaction Level: Introductory

Auction House - Diablo 4 Open World
Microtransaction Level: Tyrael-level skyfall

Um… For me 50/50. It was different the way the farming work back then but for those who didn’t have time to farm day in day out to get anything decent, you could get them from AH and in some way I got excited by selling or buying. I even had to set timer on my phone to keep an eye on it to bid in the last minute. I was sad to see it go and stopped playing D3 for 3 years but now I am back from time to time especially after each new patch.

Nowadays the farming system work in a way but of course there is still a flaw and too much random as usual but Kadala and the Cube narrow it down and help you get what you need but you need to get a lot of crafting/bounties and countless hours of farming or speed GR. It is just a regular chore in the evening.

So in some way the game became boring and I personally feel like a robot playing the game without any thinking involved, press the same buttons and running around which probably why we have so much bots in bounties.

The game has no creativity and everyone using the same gear and same skill set. Everything is just predictable which is why I suggested in my post to open up the current useless items that nobody care, either get rid of them from the list to improve the random chance or make them more useful. Thank god that they listen. I requested quite a few items in my list but at least some of them seem to be happening especially with Wiz and WD items in this new patch.

Pet picking up mats is still not happening yet and hopefully they will change some other items for DH in the future patch. Can’t think of anything much for Bab, Crus, Monk and Necro. Add some damage bonus or reduce damage reduction in some of the items. Make them more useful and also can use them in LoD/LoN build. They put a lot of efforts in this new patch and I do respect that.

There is another post here about Angel set which I thought cool idea. We have Skycutter sword and make something about it rather than angel show up and do nothing and nobody even wear it on the follower. Speaking of follower, why not make all 3 followers follow you around if you play solo. I like those idea that people suggested. There is always room to improve as long as the idea is realistic.

Now I have moved on from D3 to SC2 and I find it much more fun and interesting because I get to use my brain and decision making in the game play. I don’t see any bot in SC2 and every coop game I play, they are all real players from all around the world. Or some night I just enjoy my OLED TV with a few movies on cinema surround system which is much more relaxing than playing game.

Anyone who knows me understands why I have very little time to play games. I actually tried the Auction House once in the first few weeks of playing, and it nearly destroyed my experience. It literally sucked the fun out of the game and almost made actually playing the game pointless.

I cracked open a bottle of Champaign when the Auction House was removed. Ok, not really, but you get the idea.

What you call “too much” randomness, I would go so far as to call “not enough randomness”, especially regarding Kadala! When I spend my Bloodshard there, I often end up with as many as 5 or 6 variations of the same item…!

I can also say that of all the Primal items I have found, only one of any real value ever came from Kadala, even after spending a career total of more than 1,7000,000 Bloodshards.

Removing items from the pool that is considered when RNG is applied will serve no purpose other than to make the game even more predictable than you claim it to be.

I would actually prefer that more items be considered in-game when the internal code creates a drop. Adding more items will lessen the chances of the same item being dropped too often.

And it will never happen. At least, it won’t until materials drop with the same quantities and regularity as gold. And besides, didn’t you say earlier that you feel like a robot doing this without thinking? The very fact that you desire even more in-game automation says otherwise.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If all you do is run around an kill monsters, while a pet or something else picks up gold, gems, shards, materials, etc for you, then what else is left in the game to do?

This demonstrates why having the Auction Houses was a bad decision, i.e. it was more effective to play the AH for your gear than to kill monsters for it.

4 Likes

I don’t think you understand what I am on about and I am not sure I can’t be bother to explain to someone who has complete different idea from the start. Bottom line is not about RND and we do have layers and layers or random but if you read it carefully again I did say that Kadala and the cube narrow it down if you can afford it.

The point is we have too much useless junks that nobody care or wear. As soon as you get the item, you don’t even bother to pick up or look and straight away turn into Soul which mean the item has no use in the game and or any value to it. There is no excitement to it even for primal. I do actually get more excited to get items from my bid on AH than from primal because only 1 in 10 primal I get is useful for other build or one of my follower.

Now thankfully Blizzard seem to make these useless items become more useful or powerful. We now have more choice of gears and skills to explore. The point is let the player to be more creative rather than everyone using the same skill or even the same rune. Let the LoD/N build more viable like set items and at the moment only some of the build are actually good enough.

About the pets, many people has requested about this to improve QoL. My idea was to tailor to your need. If I need more crystal or dust, only pick them up. If you need gems, pick them up without interrupting your game play but of course everyone has their own idea and I have read at least 6 or 7 posts about this.

I know too much automation is never a good idea but my request is actually more fun and you still have enough to click around in the game. Pets now have a purpose rather than just look. As I said before this game is a chore. You do speed GR or bounties to get these materials to get the thing you want because 90% of the time you rarely find anything useful to your class.

So removing AH, yes good for people who love farming for hours and hours. You said AH destroy the fun of the gameplay since everything is just hand it to you. From that view point, it is true as well but believe me I have spent 3941 hours since it came out for about 5 years. Meteorblade can do the maths to see those hours add up or am I making this up. I have actually added all the hours on my chars and I deleted 2 of them (1 female Bab and 1 female Monk) before and if I have to add them up as well, I am pretty sure that over 4000 hours. You can take a look at my profile to see for yourself.

I have all 14 chars fully equipped as well as all 3 of my followers with all legendary or primal. Plus I never play any season and still have enough space in my stash with full of primal and useful items. I have every set apart from Invoker and Charge set for Bab. I don’t understand why some people keep on requesting more stash space. I have various different setting as well as LoD/N, different rune and gears combination for all sort of situation and tested all at least GR100. Some took less than 3-5 minutes and some took like 10 minutes. There is nothing I haven’t tried apart from season, HC and very high GR since can’t be bother to spend over 10 minutes for just 1 rift for extra stat on the gem. Even with all this hours, I am only on 2454 paragon.

Now because of this chore, we have encourage more bots in the game. Remove AH is good but also create another problem. That’s why I sit in the middle of this topic 50/50. Each has pros and cons depend on how you look at it.

Anyway, I am out of the game and only play causally for the sake of my OCD to get new items and change new setting in my wardrobe. I sort of regretted that I spent over 4000 hours in this game which is far more than any other game I have ever played. I want those time back but too late now.

So guys, spend your life with something more meaningful and your love one or family, not with some game. I took 3 years break from my PC and had the best time of my life. Now I am back only because of lockdown and updating my old gears. Don’t waste your life. It is not worth it. That’s all I am saying.

I think it is you that doesn’t get the point.

I do agree that legendary items do indeed drop far too regularly, which actually moots the whole idea of being “Legendary”.

The introduction of Primal items returned some of the excitement of what legendary drops once was. Every time I hear the ding of a legendary drop, I stop for a fraction of a second to look for the red marker effect of a Primal, and feel disappointed when I do not see it.

If the primal turns out to be an item that I cannot use, I would in most cases salvage it, and only sometimes hold onto it until end of season for testing on one of my non-season heroes.

Long story short, primal drops today are what legendary drops where in the earliest days of Diablo III. Truly Legendary when you get them and can use them.

1 Like

I agree and I don’t. The RMAH was questionable but I understand why it was done. Any game with trading is going to end up with people spending real money. That is problematic and the RMAH was an effort to control that.

I feel like trading is really what is missed and absolutely should be a part of Diablo 4. The challenge is allow us to make meaningful trades that help us progress our character but not let that system require an outside trading platform.