Diablo IV - Spectre of the past & Vision of the Future

I have tried hard to come up with the “perfect pitch” to sell my vision and seem to have failed every single time. I have written and rewritten this text ever since the initial announcement roughly ten times so far. In fact I have come to the conclusion that it is rather me (and maybe an upcoming midlife crisis) rather than the game itself, I have wishes for. Maybe it is just the feeling, the time (end of school, during university, start of work) that I hope to be recreated by the game rather that the game experience itself. I hope you can empathize and still read through the long text. I have tried to summarize what I liked best in Diablo II and what I would wish for the new game to come up with.

1.) Community: I want a strong Community. The sense of togetherness and companionship is very important. The chance encounters in Bloody foothills, the crys for help for an Uber Diablo Game, the trading: all that led to a community that survived the game.
2.) Community II: I still know most of the people of AUT-1 Channel in Diablo II in person. Shiny avatars and default channels created a community that brought clans to life, motivated to create a unique look and lead to interesting conversations with strangers which enabled beautiful friendships. The pure text Chat lacks the style of the lobby, the channels are created on random.
3.) Competitive Gameplay: I really enjoy watching Mythic Dungeons during BlizzCon. Ever since I stopped playing World of WarCraft, I wished for something competitive for the Diablo franchise. Something that also showcases this game and gives the players a chance to compete. This could also benefit monetarisation and long-term motivation. Suggestion: The same environment and encounters (like a challenge rift) which you can best with your group and your own character an itemization.
4.) Hardcore vs. Softcore: In Diablo II the red letters of your Characters Avatar announced a Hardcore Character and the Titles differed. Not really a difference, but enough motivation for many players to push their own limits, go Hardcore and never look back. Bring that back.
5.) Items – Trading: while I am happy, that some items might be dealt repeatedly, the trading should be free for all items, as this was a key component for a strong community. Everyone wanted that Jah-Ith-Ber, but it was typically achieved by trading, by friends or by your supporting guild. I got my first Harle from a guild mate, my first Schaefers Hammer from my now best friend.
6.) Items - Value: I want to feel the joy over every item. What a rush to cube a decent Blood Ring! Blue weapons with the “Cruel” affix were something valuable, yellow items better than most uniques and don’t even get me started on rune words and socketed ethereal items. I think most of my characters wore Tal-Eth at some point. Meaning? Monty Phython sang “ever sperm is sacred” – I want to chant “every item is useful”.
7.) Items – drop rates: I want to work for my loot. I did 1.000 Mephisto runs with a dual wielding IST IST 1400 MF+ Ali Barba Barb just to compare the efficiency to a 450mf Sorc (again 1.000 runs) – all before 1.10 . Today I have a family, a job and a lot less time but I would still squeeze in some runs if the gain was worth it. Sometimes less is more, especially if you remove trading restrictions and are able to trade if you find something that you do not need.
8.) Items – Effect: Items should support you, never force you a specific playstyle or be necessary to prevail. Almost every build had its purpose in Diablo II: a healing holy bolt Paladin? Done! An Enchanting Sorc for levelling: thank you very much. A PvP Hunting Necro with Bone Spirit? Nice. A BO Barb? Essential for Hell Runs. A Smiter? Best choice versus the clone! Blizzard Sorc? Bring it on Baals Minions!
9.) Items – Skill influence: Rather than Weapon Damage having an impact on the damage of Spells as well, find a way to separate those. From the roleplaying aspect I never gathered why a Sorcerer would wield a two-handed sword he can barely lift rather than an orb and a wand or a staff (Just because of the DPS)
10.) Season journey: While I really like the idea of a seasonal theme, the rewards should support rather than forcing a specific playstyle.
11.) Monetarisation: Some are still upset about the auction house. Some will for sure be upset concerning cosmetics, but in the end a continuous stream of income will make ensure, that the support for Diablo IV is guaranteed. So set a maximum bid (make it ten bucks), bring back the action house to get a ten percent cut and introduce cosmetics.
12.) Endgame: While Items and Skills hit a cap at a certain point, Paragon Points do not. For a Character with Paragon Level 8xxx+ GR 110 is a walk in the park. While I generally appreciate the feeling of power, this is something that devaluates the content: Endgame should be challenging by itself, not by an increase of Monster HP to a value that is only beatable if you farm for two months’ worth time
13.) While Diablo II excelled at this, Diablo III first went overboard with the auction house and then threw tons of items at the player. Strictly speaking Diablo III is itemwise “every man/women for him/herself”. So unless you want to rush GR to the top, the other players do not matter. At all!

About the Author: I played the series since Diablo I was available (in Austria 1997). My first LAN sessions are linked to this game, Diablo II was the first game I ever played online. I have always played “Hardcore” and was able to secure Rank #3 in Europe’s HCL in Season 1, in Season 2 I ranked first for some time (until I quit after I finished my studies). In Diablo III I played most seasons and finished the season journey mostly at the first weekend. The friendships I gathered playing the Diablo Series have lasted half my life now, I even met my best friend playing Diablo II.

1 Like