Dune Dervish - Insta-kills me all the time

I hope someone can help me here. I am a dedicated DH player with Paragon 2500+ and very experienced with the DH Impale build. I often run high GRs (100 - 130) with some friends online. I hardly ever die, and often throw myself right into the middle of huge mobs and I dont die. But, as soon as there is a Dune Dervish on screen, i have to retreat because experience has taught me that they always one shot me as soon as they “spin”. I have noticed over the past few months that even if they are nowhere near me, they somehow kill me and the death message says “Amaranth was slain” - it doesnt tell me what exactly killed me, just that I was slain. It never says that a DD killed me. But i have seen it so many times and the only common thing is the DD on screen. There are also times where I did not notice the DD until it was too late and it killed me.

It is my strong opinion that the Dune Dervish is somehow bugged to insta-kill me because i can survive almost any other mob type but a single DD comes along and kills me easily.

This is very frustrating because often before I run some GRs with my friends, i will search for 10 XP pools and stack them so that I can push my paragons higher faster because I know that I dont die (often) in GRs (expect for the DD).

Does anyone know why this is a problem or is it just me? Have a look at my build if you want and you will see i have quite a lot of primals and mid-high level augments - there really is no reason i should be so squishy against a Dune Dervish.

I look forward to your comments.

This is not a bug.

When a dune dervish is spinning, they are shielded (so take no damage) and also reflect projectiles back to players. As a well geared Impale DH, you’re throwing daggers capable of doing trillions of damage. When these are reflected back at your hero, usually with a health pool of under a million, even with shields / mitigation up, your own daggers one-shot you.

The reason the death text says “Heroname was slain” rather than “Heroname was slain by cause” is because the game was only coded to give death messages when the hero was killed by a mob or the environment. When you kill yourself, it doesn’t know what the cause was, so it cannot say.

This can also happen in parties, i.e. other players’ projectiles can be thrown back against your hero, and your projectiles can be thrown back against them. Another hero with this sort of issue is the H90/Frenzy Barbarian, as they use a belt which grants all runes to Frenzy, which includes Sidearm, that causes throwing axes to be cast whilst attacking.

Worst version of these to come across is if they have missile dampening. That way, you could have huge numbers of projectiles going into the pack and, when the big elite dies, the dampening drops, and huge numbers of projectiles come back to the party.

The short version of this is… if you’re playing an Impale DH, you skip dervishes unless you have a shield pylon active, or you will 100% kill yourself.

Thanks. This is what I have figured out for myself… to just to try avoid the dervishes as much as I can. But there are times when my group stops to fight an elite pack and there is also a mob which includes dervishes. Then I cant do much except retreat as far away as possible until the kill the dervish. It kinda ruins the gameplay because i can survive everything else - but this one little monster type is my kryptonite.

Sand Dwellers have the same mechanic when their whirling sand shields are up.
It is possible to attack these monster types, or attack elite packs where these types are present, but one have to position oneself carefully and sometimes stop firing. Of course they’re a pain in the behind.

1 Like

Yes, I do agree with these 2 guys. They do have some reflex attack to the attacker. So when they are spinning or sand shield up, don’t shoot, wait in the safe place and then when it clear, start shooting as fast as possible.

However, recently I notice that there is some kind of bug going on and I can die instantly without anything hit me. There is nothing around me, no arrows or anything, I am in a safe place and just die for no reason. On the message KKWIN was slain. Yeah but by what? Didn’t say anything. WTF? It is just random usually after or during elite or boss fight. Not just me and also my mate experience the same thing with his DH.

I agree…this happens to me to sometimes. It is very frustrating especially when you stack 7 - 10 XP pools before doing a bunch of runs - and then die unexpectedly (read : unfairly) due to no fault of your own and lose the XP pool stacks.

For an impale build, use vault with rattling roll - when you roll through them, they become stunned, stop spinning, and then you can impale them with ease?

1 Like

I explained to you in great detail in this thread why you will die to these mobs as an Impale DH. In that thread I showed the maths behind why your DH would need over 1 billion HP per reflected dagger in order to survive. Now factor in that you’re throwing three knives per cast, and you’re doing a few attacks per second.

If you keep dying to them, it’s not only expected but entirely your own fault.

Skip them.

its because of your fault that you lose the exp pools. they return your missiles when they spin around like already explained to you. so dont blame the game blame yourself