Game freezing and lagging

I have seen this issue in other threads but they all seem to be from a few years ago. I notice that since 2.6.7 was released, my game will often stop showing animations and actions for a few seconds and then catch up after those few seconds of freezing has finished. This happens about every few minutes or so and can be very frustrating because I’m playing a hardcore character and I don’t want to die while the game has frozen.

Any help or recommendations would be great. I’m not very tech savy so I have no idea where to start with fixing this issue.

3 Likes

Heya! Let’s start with going over this general article as it has couple of nice callouts with regards performance issues. Just follow the steps from 1 to 5, that might help in your case.

I have no other apps running, I have updated my NVIDIA Geforce 980 to the most current Driver, I have switched my power management to High, and I’m still getting the freeze/Buffer every couple of minutes.

What else do you think could be the issue?

1 Like

Similar here. No issues and game is perfectly running while soloing. Huge lags and disconnects when grifting with others. Barely playable. The lags last like one minute, then a few seconds normal and then 1 min lag again. Going back to solo, no issues. Earlier I read somewhere, that this could have something to do with other players huge area damage, slowing it down for all the others.

2 Likes

Greetings everyone,

If the steps already given already on this thread are not working, just make sure to reply back to us with your system files sent via Pastebin.
With those files we can see if there anything else affecting your game. :slight_smile:

Nevermind. Keep your useless hints and stop searching like it’s your customers fault. People are reporting major server issues and just take that serious. Honestly sort your servers. Still not stable after 7 years and you guys talk about learning from past failures? You really wanna release D4? If servers won’t be fixed this gonna be worse than 2012, remember? One game crashing lag spike per day.

8 Likes

Since S21 started, im getting game freezes, usually during rift or GR runs, usually at least once, if not multiple times in each run, and naturally i tend to die each time.

these freezes i get are about 4~6 seconds, and its not a lag spike or FPS drop, its like the game stops communicating with the server and just hangs. the Mouse still moves around fine, music player on the PC continues to play and when it un-freezes, it all catches up, i see my char (DH) continue shooting and casting mobs move all over the screen in quick-time, and then splat…

i also notice that when im in a party with others, that the minimap between me and the other party members (when they have moved ahead by a few screens) is black, as if its unexplored, usually the minimap shows the explored areas by other team members. so there seems to be missing data for those few seconds…

i have tried all the tips i can find, plus others from other games where people are experiencing similar issues… prior to S21 i have never had this issue…

o yeah, i have tried D3 on both my laptop and my PC and both have this same freezing issue… graphis settings are all set to the minimum, and i am running a Nvidia Titan and have 65gb ram, etc… so i dont think its the hardware that is causing this.

please please help advise what i can try next.

6 Likes

I think I have this but mine a windows popped up that said ‘‘application stopped responding and asks if I want to end it now or wait’’ if I wait few seconds its back to normal and my character shoots and unfreezes like yours

1 Like

I just experienced the same things too. DH 30 seconds before killing the last boss of the 5th bounty, game starts lagging, and then I get disconnected, loosing all my progress and getting no bounty reward. My internet worked fine. I checked right away, so this is an in-game issue. It also said something about expired game-license or alike.

1 Like

Yeah, since a day or 2, i have started to get this same windows popup msg as well. but not always…

I find these freezes happen a lot less when im playing solo (but they sill happen maybe every 2 or 3 GR runs…

Using the Australian server (i live in Bali, Indonesia) seems to have also helped reduce the amount of times this happens.

sadly though it is still happening >.<

Yea been happening to me as well. Cursor moves, but everything is frozen even though the game continues to progress. Then it catches up but for me, it doesn’t always or im stuck in this limbo for a while. It’s super frustrating trying to play at all. I’ve already sent a support ticket and nothing they’ve said has worked. I still think it’s from a windows 10 update and the new season in combination. Who know though. Hope for a fix sometime soon though

1 Like

I have had this issue since s20 but ONLY on EU servers I can no longer play group public or otherwise without dc usually when I am teleporting somewhere. It sucks especially solo bounties no fun at all!!!

Oh and of course Blizzard does not accept responsibility. Solution is simple: update your technology & software; use nodes be ahead of the curve, redo changes you made to aspects of S20 patch that caused this problem. You have already lost a lot of players & they do not have confidence in your ability to provide a stable D4 game so I STRONGLY recommend that you fix D3 a long time prior to releasing D4!!!

Peace & Love!

any help would be greatly appreciated. i really want to play, but its extremely difficult to run GR115~120 when the game freezes on me sometimes up to 6 or more times per run. I rarely get through them without a death at this point.

There’s a thread on the US Technical Support forum with confirmation from Blizzard that frequent freezes of the game are a result of the interaction between the game’s sound system and Windows 10’s latest update (2004)…

1 Like

Update from US Tech Support…

Same here. This season brought out a new type of lag for me - total freeze for 30 secs or even more. At first it was happening in 4-men pushing, so I thought it was due to the good old area damage + sparks + something else recipe. But then it happened to me in solo, had to reset, it wouldn’t even go away. This morning I can’t even connect to the servers. Again, this is a new thing: it puts me in queue even before verification - in the client itself. And I do have internet, obviously, if I am posting this. I haven’t changed anything since last night. Now something is broken. If servers are down for maintenance, why not give us a heads up as usual?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Error code 317002

Myeah…game froze entirely with the dmg numbers frozen on screen, cannot revive, nothing…except exit game :))) Too bad i-m lazy to post a screen…funny as shit :slight_smile:

Heres the “fix”

BIG SHOUT OUT TO BLIZZ … .THIS SHOULD BE YOUR PROBLEM TO FIX. ITS NOT A MICROSOFT PROBLEM . AS THE ISSUES ONLY HAPPEN IN BLIZZARD GAMES.

I have detailed the “Work Around” or Solution below. I hope this helps in permanently fixing this issue

Step 1: Download Heros of the Storm
Step 2: Go to where its installed: “Example”
D:\Program Files (x86)\Heroes of the Storm\Support64
Step 3: Copy fmodex64_4_44_23.dll to a different directory
Step 4: Rename the file to fmodex64.dll
Step 5: Go to the x64 Folder of D3 " Example"
D:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64
Step 6: BattleNet / Settings / Game Install Update / Select Never Automatically Apply Updates
Step 7 : Close Battnet
Step 8 : Replace the fmodex64.dll file in the D:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64 with the one you have just made
Step 9: Launch BNET press PLAY
( Warning )
Sometimes it says UPDATE and you are force to update for then you just close BNET , replace the file and try again.
What happens is you remove ALL GAME SOUND. However this fixes all the 10seconds freezes caused When Running Any Windows OS Patch past 1909

3 Likes

Updating the thread for those who dont want to read a wall of code