If I've spent lots of money re-enchanting armour, will it make greater rifts harder?

Tried my first greater rift with my demon hunter and gave up after almost dying repeatedly and it taking ages. People were telling me greater rift difficulty is based on your equipment.

I enchanted much of my equipment (mostly rare items) to give bonus experience per monster kill where it had other properties. Sometimes it took a lot of attempts and hundreds of thousands of gold before I got the exp per monster kill property on them.

Will this make greater rifts harder with that equipment? Does the game make greater rift difficulty based on value of items and include the amount of gold and other resources spent on enchanting them multiple times?

Thought if it is that, then switching to items i haven’t tried to change effects of by multiple enchant attempts might make them easier

You don’t say what level that Greater Rift was – Greater Rift level is independant of the game difficulty level.

The fact that you are dying repeatedly is a good sign that you were attempting a GR that was too difficult for your hero.

I have a feeling that you are trying to go too fast… your DH will need better equipment before attempting Greater Rifts. Currently, most of your equipment is composed of various rare items with an item level below 70. You have not selected your level 70 passive yet. You have no legendary power extracted in the cube (did you get the cube yet ?). There is no gem in your bow. If you had more game experience… you might be able to tackle a level 13 Greater Rift with the skills you have currently selected and the equipment you are wearing… but it would be rough and a tight squeeze.

What difficulty level do you currently play when you do bounties or Nephalem Rifts ? Do you die often at that difficulty level?

If I’ve spent lots of money re-enchanting armour, will it make greater rifts harder?

No. Greater Rift difficulty does not change as a result of enchanting or repeatedly enchanting your equipment. Greater Rift difficulty depends on the Tier level you chose when creating the Greater Rift. By default, your first Greater Rift is set to level 13… as so (click on the screenshot to open it):

You can change the difficulty level by clicking on the down arrow to the right of the difficulty level (that will make pull-down box appear) and by dragging the slider or clicking on the up or down arrows:

3 Likes

No i never die on nephalem rifts. I’ve been doing them on first normal and then hard, and, with the templar as a follower and some decent equipment on him they’re pretty easy. Thanks for the explanation on the Greater Rift difficulty level. I didn’t notice any arrow but i was eager to start so might have missed it.

1 Like

If you’re playing on Hard at the moment, you are definitely not ready for Greater Rifts. Better wait till you are comfortable at Torment 1. That will give you a chance to get better equipment and learn more about playing the DH. (The DH is not as tanky as the Crusader… or the Barb… so he will die more easily).

I see you have created a seasonal DH… is it your intention to play the DH in Season ? I would say that that is a very good idea, particularly if you follow the Journey. Not only will you get some free cosmetics and a free set, the Journey also acts as some sort of a tutorial on the Adventure mode. There is much to learn.

My pleasure.

Good luck in your games !

3 Likes

You need set items and legendary items.

PS. If you can play ordinary rifts on Master difficulty (T1 may be too hard?) you should eventually get better loot that will get you going.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice Jazz. I was getting discouraged because some people in chat were saying I must have a bad build. Though i suppose even that would be fixable

1 Like

Well you actually don’t have a build right now :+1:
A build usually refers to having the bonuses from a set (and often a bonus from other pieces of sets or gear). Of course there are also “no set” builds like the ones with the Legacy of Dreams gem.
It takes a while to get the all stuff but iit’s part of the fun of the game. Once you have maybe a few of the pieces of a set you will notice a great improvement in power.

While “farming” for the stuff you can also find stuff that alone will make you stronger. Like a Quiver that boosts some of your skills and can be used untill you find the “right” stuff for one of the builds.

Note that some things can drop anywhere in the game, some depends on bounty caches and some are crafted at the Blacksmith (often you need the “recipe” for the stuff from a bounty cache).

4 Likes

Greater rifts have very, and i mean VERY wide differences even at the same level.

You can have a GR with few, if any pylons, very poor map, elites with challenging affixes, trash with little progress value, but which deliver high damage, and it might be a GR with 7 floors of garbage.

Alternatively, you might be lucky and get a GR with a lot of advantages, almost the opposite of what was just described.

1 Like

Only if you are behind in progress, or you miss a place on the map where a pylon has appeared. Otherwise there is no GR without pylons, as long as you are on time.

1 Like

@Boubou Sorry for late reply. No, I’m not likely to play that seasonal character. Wouldn’t have time to start from scratch again (already have four characters, two in 60s and two 70s now). I only made it because I was having trouble logging in and some people were saying in chat that they made a seasonal character and then could log their non-seasonal characters in. Likely just coincidence for them, but tried it anyway. I’ve already done quite a lot of adventure. My demonhunter character I’ve only done bounties/adventure and then nephalem rifts with