Impale struggle at GR100

Hello folks,
I have a problem to push GR 100 with Demon Hunter’s impale build. I am only able to push GR 90. When I upgraded my ancient items with low level augments I barely finished GR 95. I tried GR 95 many times and I was finally able to finish it during 15 minutes, but it was very tough.

I don’t have any toughness issues, even at GR120 4-man groups, I don’t die at those rifts, but I don’t do any damage.

I tried to push GR 100. I tried at least 60 times, but I can’t push it, no matter what. The real problem is VERY LOW damage. Even with cold convention elements rotation I don’t do any damage. I have even problems to kill Guardians. Last time I fought against Guardian almost 5 minutes!! at GR 95! I also tried to switch from Pain Enhancer to Bane of Powerful (level 116) and Bane of Stricken (level 121). I know that those levels are very low for GR 100, but I don’t see any difference between legendary gems. Even with Bane of Stricken I simply don’t do any damage to Guardian.

Everyone say that Impale is Guardian killer, but I suppose it’s not true. It seems that Impale is very weak set.

My impale build is here. Could you please check it out and tell me where are bottlenecks in my build? I know that I miss 15% Impale damage in my helm and 20% cold damage in my amulet. What other bottlenecks I have? Why I do not do any damage to enemies above GR 95?

D3 planner https://d3planner.com/891810366

PS: I hope Blizzard will buff Impale set at LEAST like this:
(2) Set:
While equipped with a melee weapon, your damage is increased by 20000%.
(4) Set:
Shadow Power gains the effect of every rune and lasts forever.
(6) Set:
Impale deals an additional 300,000% weapon damage to the first enemy hit.

I’m pretty sure, if Blizzard buff Impale set like this, I will be able to push GR 100 between 12-14 minutes.

The set is not weak. I did this almost 200 paragon ago…

Take a quick look at my Impale DH that did that clearance…
https://www.d3planner.com/257724838
Her setup is extremely similar to yours except that I’m using the lightning Ricochet variant rather than the cold Overpenetration variant, purely down to the quiver I’ve got.

That’s one thing you’ll notice, my quiver has Elemental, AS, CHC and Impale bonus. Your quiver doesn’t have any Impale bonus. As you noticed already, your helm has CHC but no Impale bonus. So, just from Quiver and Helm, that’s up to 30% Impale bonus you’re missing.

I’m also using different legendary gems to you (and at a lower rank than yours are). You have Trapped, Pain Enhancer and Gogok. I’m using Trapped, Pain Enhancer and Powerful. I can still maintain 100% up-time on Vengeance without Gogok which means Powerful is providing a 35% damage boost against elites compared to your setup.

If we look at your existing DH’s damage breakdown for Impale…
Damage: 30,658,914,404
First Target Bonus: 3,065,891,440,356
Total Damage: 91,976,743,211
DPS: 229,941,858,027
Breakpoint: 24 frames

If I tweak her gear, so your helm and quiver gain 15% Impale each, and switch to Powerful rather than Gogok, like so… https://www.d3planner.com/490913197 …that changes her damage to be…
Damage: 38,656,892,074
First Target Bonus: 3,865,689,207,406
Total Damage: 115,970,676,222
DPS: 257,712,613,827
Breakpoint: 27 frames

That’s an increase of (38,656,892,074 - 30,658,914,404) = 7,997,977,670

( 7,997,977,670 / 30,658,914,404 ) * 100 = 26.087%

You should absolutely be able to push way past GR100 on your current DH, higher if you find suitable helm / quiver, and change gem.

Thanks for your reply and guide. But there is two things that I disagree with you.

1. Diablo 3 icy-veins and other guides stuff tell, that Demon Hunter ALWAYS needs Gogok. It doesn’t only increase cooldown, but also attack speed and dodge chance. You’re the first one, that doesn’t use Gogok. If I see leaderboards, people use it. Why do you sacrifice DPS over flat damage?
  2. My build is not able to push GR 100. GR 95 is maximum level I can finish during 15 minutes.

EU, non-seasonal, DH solo, rank 36, GR129, 14:42…
Trapped, Powerful, Gogok

Don’t assume that everyone takes exactly the same gems. Remember that at these levels Powerful is lasting 2.5 minutes after killing an elite and gives 35% damage versus elites / guardian, with 15% less damage from them. A 35% damage modifier can potentially outweigh 15% AS from Gogok.

If you’re running group content where you can get gems into the 120+ range, it should be fairly trivial for you to get a Powerful levelled up and try it.

Your build is definitely capable of more than GR95 but without seeing you play it, I can’t tell what you might be able to do better, because the problem doesn’t seem to be your build / gear.

I tried to do what you suggest me, but in the end its even worse. When I remove Gogok legendary gem I am able to push ONLY GR 80. With Bane of Powerful at level 121, Bane of Stricken at level 121 and Bane of Trapped at level 127 my damage is SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASED… A LOT! I also tried Pain Enhanced at level 122, but it doesn’t help. Damage is still too low for GR 95 and higher.

I am not able to one shot elites at GR 85. Yellow elites takes about 2 - 3 minutes to kill at GR 90. So your suggestion is simply wrong. I had to switch my gem back to Gogok then I am able to push GR 90 ONLY. GR 95 is not reachable at 2.6.7 patch. It seems Blizzard nerfed Impale set even more.

I still not don’t know where is the problem. But when I am very close to the elites I try to damage them, I only see 100 - 1000 milions damage, I almost never see B damage at all. Some people even get T damage, I have never seen T damage with very weak Impale set. It seems that Impale set is not capable of doing T damage at all.

I check out that other people with absolutely garbage Impale gear have much much less sheet damage, but their damage is extremely higher than mine. I dunno understand why.

Quite simply, with your gear, you are doing something fundamentally wrong if it’s taking you 2-3 minutes to kill elites at GR90.

If taking advice from someone doing content 20+ GRs higher than you’re stuck at is a problem, that’s fine. Good luck.

Remember when I suggested you get 15% Impale damage on your quiver, boots and helm earlier in the thread? That damage doesn’t show up in your sheet damage, but it’s a huge difference to your actual damage. Likewise elemental damage on bracers / amulet don’t show on your sheet damage, but they also make a huge difference to actual damage. So, elemental and impale bonuses would account for 105% extra actual damage and make absolutely zero difference to your sheet damage figure.

The set’s capable of it just fine. The problem’s clearly not the set.

[ EDIT ]
Just as proof, ran this GR115 for some screenshots…

Ok, I’m convinced. I get it that I have to do something bad, but I don’t know what it is. When I’m very close to elites, I activate Vengeance spell and attack them. I see only hundreds of M damage and very rarely thousands of M damage. I am not able to kill elites under 60 seconds at GR 90. When I attack Guardians sometimes I am not able to kill them before 15 minutes timer.

If I have good rift with a lot of elites and ocassionally I have plenty of time, it took me 3 - 5 minutes to kill Guardian with Impale set with my build at GR 90.

Without seeing your gameplay, I’m not sure what you’re doing wrong either but the “I activate Vengeance” worries me. You should have 100% up-time on that, i.e. it should never be inactive.