New Necro and DH set suggestion

Well, everyone including myself actually find the new DH set actually doing better than expected. When PTR came out I thought 10k primary skill damage? Sound very little compare to 20k damage like Leap quake or Heaven fury or Sprite barrage. I understand why it works so effective since Strafe shoot automatically to all targets in the area. If you combine with Rocket Storm rune and passive skill, even better.

Also unlike Bab, it is range and doesn’t need to be close to target to kill them which mean you don’t need high resistant or life and can get away with it. Speed is also incredible compare to Bab WW and Tempest Rush. IF they want to balance it out maybe bring down the Hungering Arrow to 500% instead of 600%. There are so many combination you can put it in, duel guns, single gun with echo fury and I have 8 different set up in this one. I used to play Strafe before RoS and remind me of my old days.

Now Necro, nobody seem to play the new set and everyone think it is crap. I search on the YouTube and there isn’t anything much about the new Necro set and their suggestion suck as well. So I decided to experiment myself and found the way that work perfectly. So here it is to share my set up. The biggest problem is mobs are everywhere. You need a way to group them like in Wiz with twister or black hole. Spear isn’t shoot off like Multi-shot or Strafe either. Very ineffective design.

You need either Trag Oul Fang or Scythe of the Cycle. Off hand doesn’t matter whichever you got the best stat.

But you MUST use BRIGGS’ WRATH ring. Basically when you put curse on the mob, it will group them and then you shoot your spear. They will die with one hit combine with Frailty Curse - Volatile Death. Sometime even give you ground shake effect which is cool. This is the only way to group the mob in Necro as far as I know.

As for the Spear rune, you can choose any of these 3 (Blighted Marrow, Shatter and Crystallization). Shatter is effective, all the mob in single area get blown up or Blighted arrow is also good since damage get increase by the number of mob it passes.

On top of that of course typical KRYSBIN’S SENTENCE, DAYNTEE’S BINDING and ANCIENT PARTHAN DEFENDERS for the extra damage and toughness.

The rest of the skills and cube is in the photo below. Try it and see what you think. I have tested on GR100 and seem to be fairly easy under 5-6 minutes with base gear. Now that I have some ancient and I assume that I can do better than GR100. Also fairly fast enough for T16 farming.

In my set up, I don’t have any generator but I never needed one but in high GR when you have no corpse to consume to kill the boss, you will struggle in which case put Cursed Scythe to generate some essence back and replace with Blood Rush. This is actually really fun to play since you don’t need to rely on heavy cool down like Land of the Dead. Poison Scythe is tanky like people say but slow as hell. I don’t like the play style. To be honest, Necro is not my main class and regretted buying it but this new set actually make me interested again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D9vjjzpHKxwnh2rA6

Actually i have a feeling that a set they will probably buff in the future season is Inarius. In this season (21) we 've seen the emerge of 2 melee necromancers, one being the posion scythe and the second being the corpse explosion, and both these playstyles can be greatly supported by Inarius set. It only need some damage tweeks and buffs and it can probably be a top set in the upcoming patches. I think that is deserved, cause right now, necro sets are probably the worst. That can be said for other classes too, i think some old forgotten sets can become viable as very good builds, but since you put necro in the title i am gonna talk a bit about him.

I have two problems with the new set. One is the damage that can obviously change in the future, it’s just a number. And the second is the resource management. You have two ways of generating resource. One is coprse devour which is a thing if you try to make a speed build for 90,95 GRs or so and the other is having a generator on your skillset. Nothing wrong with devour, however, as the difficulty increases, enemies will not start hitting the floor with one attack and therefore there is no consistent way of keeping your essence up. Especially for the rift guardian. Unless of course you decide to use land of the dead again, which i don’t think anyone wants to do, and even the devs probably don’t aim to make another LoTD build. The second method with the generator, again, nothing wrong, but it feels somewhat clunky and disrupting to the gameplay of the caster. Also because of the necessity and value of COE and Krysbin it’s very unlikely that we are going to see a Necro utilizing the focus and restrain rings. For me the only logical thing would be to remove the resource cost of the spell to make it more spammable. That can be done by changing the maltorius petrified spike, for example, allowing to negate the essence cost of bone spear. The build can also use Aquila Cuirass in the cube then. I love the playstyle of the set, but this needs to be stronger, it’s new, it’s fresh and it’s interesting so it’s only reasonable to make it strong. Right now i am using the poison rune and i also put Zei’s stone in one of my slots and pretend i am a D2 Necromancer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Next season, i really hope they focus on some sets instead of a seasonal theme like the current. Even If it’s only one set of every class. That’s 7 sets in total. It’s not a very hard task. I want something that stays in the game, not a buggy “intended” theme that takes 10 patches and hotfixes to work.

Sorry for the long reply.

I do agree your point there Yuko. There are some flaw in that Necro set design. So either they put the resource cost down or remove it completely like you said which I think they probably won’t do it (high damage must cost something, shouldn’t be free) but reduction on cost might be possible.

One thing I agree is Necro are very crap at the moment. Yes they made it strongest to attract people to buy the pack and now they are slow for bounties run and drop like fly in high GR apart from the zNec (support) and poison scythe. They are terrible at solo run and always need support from other class to survive. LotD is nice but the cost of cool down is nightmare for very little window. I run into a couple of poison scythe build in bounties and we done all our act plus 1-2 in the new act and the guy only manage to do 4 quests out of 5 in his own act.

I hated Necro after the Rat run since I lost out my usual mates which is why I only created 1 necro with 10 settings for all the sets and LoD. They should re-balance with the other sets which is the main problem with set. That why in my other post for the suggestion to improve the game is encourage people to use LoD/N build and let them be creative with their own build.

All items to be equally strong or useful and everyone can build whatever they want and it will be unique and interesting. Set items are specific to the certain play style and huge balance issue. It is a nightmare for the developer to keep adjusting every patch and also limit our creativity and imagination. It is like saying either Blizzard way or high way. We are the customer and we pay the game. All we want is provide the map, world, skills and gears, let use create how we want. So it is win win for both sides. I think this is the way they should go in D4 if they cannot do much in D3. Anyway, I am not the boss here and let them decide how they want us to play.

Well that explains how the set is more powerful than UE hungering arrow. Dont enjoy DHs and didnt wanna make one just to try it, but couldnt figure that one out ^

I used to play Rat mages on console, the actual Rathma set not the LoD version , back in the day somewhere around season 12 or 13 , can’t remember. Necro was that hero that got me into the game and made me try to runderstand mechanics, what stats and affixes mean , how to play , how to push and so on. So i am kinda biased in favour of necro cause he was like my maiden voyage through the game. Still today i like him but i can’t argue that he needs some more work done on him. Even though everything lives under the shadow of GoD demon hunter right now, it is still a good necro season for me. We got 1 new set, in addition to 2 very powerful builds, that have always been there but now they are actually top. I 'd like to see the new set gets buffed cuase it is the only thing that feels like a caster without the need for coprses. Maybe a new off-hand item just for that set? Something that buffs bone spear damage? Just an idea, but i have my hopes high that they will do something in the next season. It doesn’t have to be the best in the entire game necessarily, just around 10-15 rifts higher than it is now.