Raekor's + Gavel of Judgment + bracers of first men

I am using the above combination on my seasonal barbarian because that is all I have. My heavy duty attack is Hammer of the Ancients, and I go from place to place with Furious Charge.

I have found that while my damage is quite good (eg I can do GR21 easily) I am very weak defensively, I see my health globe dropping quite significantly.

What is the way to improve the build defensively? I do not know how to link my character here.

The easier variant is with the Immoral King set armour as this means you can have Call of the Ancients up permanently and incoming damage is split between you and the three ancients. Then there’s the Band of Might ring that provides up to 80% mitigation after using Charge. The Endless Walk jewellery set (Traveller’s Pledge amulet + Compass Rose ring) also provide a lot of mitigation when moving.

You said that you’ve looked at icy veins guides. I don’t know if he covers that “build” (where you use The Raekor set and Gavel of Judgement etc) but usually there are certain skills and actions that you have to repeat at certain intervals both to keep up defense and to keep up damage. So if you have the right equipment and the right skills etc you also need to do actions and combination of actions in order to perform well.
Meteorblade might chime in with more specific advice.

Ha, ha. I’m too late :slight_smile:

If you click on your name in your post you get a pop-up to View Activity / View Profile. If you choose View Profile, that would take you to your profile page. You could then select the hero in question. The procedure to link that would be this…

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this…

http://www.ThisIsAnExample.com/HowToMakeLinks.htm

However, there’s currently a fault with the armoury site so links to it won’t work. With that in mind, I imported your profile into www.d3planner.com so I could have a look at it…

https://www.d3planner.com/855144625

…and it seems like you’re playing the Raekor version. That’s more powerful than the Immortal King variant, but it’s a lot tougher to play. You’re missing the amulet that goes with the set ring. You don’t have Band of Might (equipped or in the Cube). You’ll get a lot more mitigation if you replace your chest / leg gems with Diamonds (for more All Resist). Also, your amulet has fire damage on it. You should re-roll your bracers All Resist into 20% fire damage too. Once you’ve done that, amend the rune on your Hammer of the Ancients to use Smash, as that’s a fire rune. Combined with the elemental damage on amulet / bracers, that’s a huge damage increase. You also don’t appear to have a weapon power in the Cube. Ideally, you want to extract the Gavel into the Cube, and then use the Istvan’s Paired Blades sword set (Slanderer and Little Rogue) as they increase your damage, attack speed and mitigation. You also don’t appear to have spent any of your paragon points. Press P and allocate the points.

As an example, here’s my Immortal King HOTA Barb…
https://www.d3planner.com/310834855

1 Like

Wow a lot of info. Thanks.

So if I cannot see my profile how did you manage to see it??
(Battle.net)

I do use Smash with the Hammer of Ancients, I was experimenting before and logged out. I have also allocated all Paragons the import may have failed.

Why are you suggesting to remove the All resist from bracers seeing as you advised to use diamonds instead of rubies?

Hover your mouse over your name in the forums and it’ll show your Battlenet ID, i.e. Zilliman#2511, which is how you can import into d3planner.

Because bracers is one of the few pieces of equipment where you can obtain elemental damage, with the other being amulet. For that reason, best in slot affixes for bracers are generally…

1. Main Stat
  2. Vitality
  3. 6% Critical Hit Chance
  4. 20% elemental damage (element to match your main ability’s rune)

Zilliman. Is it too hard to read icy vein’s guide?

So I was doing some rifts with this guy here, he basically runs around in WW from what I could see, it was not easy to catch up.

d3planner 693621791

My build is not smooth with starts and stops, even though Charge is great I think I prefer the smoothness of the continuous WW.

Whirlwind’s easy to start off with but it’s one of the most difficult builds to gear properly for. There are extremely specific gear pieces required, with specific affixes, and it’s incredibly difficult to push with compared to IK/HOTA, R6/HOTA, IK/RCharge. Sure, you’ll have fun with spin-to-win, but you’ll be frustrated compared to your HOTA build. Pushing with Whirlwind only really works with a couple of GR maps. Forget anything with rooms and corridors, the maps have to be open, because you need mob density, lots of it. I’m talking about at least 4-5 screens worth of mobs, with chains to pull stragglers in, so that your Area Damage can really shine (and so that you gain enough mitigation from your Ancient Parthan Defenders). When most people hear “density” the vastly underestimate how much that means. Here’s the EU rank 1 WW clear this season (or at least it was at the time) to demonstrate…

1 Like