Resistances and esoteric

Is it better to get belt/pants/boots with all res or without all res but with physical res if I have esoteric on max level?

Mitigation from main stats are as follows…

1. 1 Strength = 1 Armour
  2. 1 Dexterity = 1 Armour
  3. 10 Intelligence = 1 Resist All

The Strength-based heroes (Barb, Crusader) and Dexterity-based heroes (Demon Hunter, Monk) naturally have high Armour values, as they inherit this from their main stat. That’s why they take Diamonds in their chest / legs, to provide Resist All, a mitigation stat they’re naturally low on. The STR / DEX heroes want All Resist on their gear.

The Intelligence-based heroes (Necromancer, Witch Doctor, Wizard) naturally have high Resist All values, as they inherit this from their main stat. That’s why they sometimes take rubies and/or emeralds in their chest / legs, to provide Armour, a mitigation stat they’re naturally low on. The INT heroes want Armour on their gear.

I know that. But we are talking about a different case: a case when str/dex character uses esoteric legendary gem. This gem gives huge resistance to all non-physical damage (by reducing all non-physical damage). So in this case maybe we should boost physical resistance only/mostly instead of all resistances? If we do that we would bump all resistances evenly and get huge thoughness boost and have amazing reduction to all damage types. If we would bump all resistances and use esoteric we would end up with uneven resistances. We would be almost imprevoous to all non-physical damage but we would take a lot more damage from physical attacks compared to non-physical attacks. Esoteric + physical resistances gives a lot better all resist than stacking only all resist.

Yes, in a way you already know the answer, that physical resistances is valuable in these cases.

Nope.

Let’s use your own Crusader as an example. I’ve assumed the Cube’s armour slot was a Leoric’s Crown (as that doesn’t show up on the Armoury site) rather than just an empty slot and that the rank 14 Bane of the Powerful is what would be swapped out for Esoteric, which I’ll put at Rank 70 to match your other two gem ranks…

With current gear / affixes / gems…
https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/316800209

• Damage 1,400,335
  • Toughness 65,045,077
  • Recovery 4,034,626

With current gear / affixes / Rank 70 Esoteric…
https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/875335671

• Damage 1,400,335
  • Toughness 96,043,291
  • Recovery 5,957,388

With current gear / All Resists rerolled to Physical secondary / Rank 70 Esoteric…
https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/188934326

• Damage 1,400,335
  • Toughness 91,928,250
  • Recovery 5,091,196

All Resist + Esoteric gives better mitigation than Physical + Esoteric.

As far as i know, esoteric is a very decent choice for toughness, but the problem is that most builds are kind of “locked” in their legendary gems as most of the time there are better offensive choices that outperform the esoteric. When you push, 2/3 gems are taken usually by stricken and trapped and the third is, almost all the time, something that also boosts offensive qualities. When you farm i guess you have the luxury of replacing something with esoteric if your character is very squishy but then again when you speedfarm nothing is that tough, so the gem becomes kind of irrelevant in both cases. Not that it is bad, it’s just there are 3-4 gems that are usually better.

It seems that only crusader AOV solo uses esoteric. Softcore at least.