RIP my RTX 3080 Ti

So to geht this right, does this happens only to 3080 TI or to all 3080 Cards?

2 Likes

i have stock 3090 FE and no fan speed :thinking:
no fan speed because card is not hot enough to enable the fans…

but i have crash too and after 2 error massages i was on desktop again and the system dosnt detect the rtx 3090 anymore because nvidia driver crashed completly.

after restart the system, everything was fine.

what cards you have? what kind of manufacturer?

1 Like

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X PLUS 10G OC LHR 10GB that’s my card. Mind you i haven’t startet the beta again since my first DC and after coming accros this Thred and thos on Reddit i don’t think i will ever Play. Especely with no responce from Blizz to this extrem Problem and Danger.

1 Like

I’ve had the same situation happen twice now. Different area though.

It isn’t Diablo, it’s just NVidia cards which burns for nothing with several games (e.g Baldur’s Gate 3).

1 Like

After a crash don’t see my GPU, my system use motherboard gpu. NVIDIA experience don’t see my graphic card.
Reboot to resolve the issue.
Now all the Time error 34203, crash the game …

I got to the church where the flashback scene plays then fans on my GPU went to max, all three monitors went black and I then killed the power. Smelled that burnt electronics smell. Waited a bit then tried to power back on and monitors stayed black. After a bit killed power popped open my case tried to power back on. MOBO has post error lights and shows a solid white, which means error with video card. My Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080TI is dead in the water.

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080TI
Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

2 Likes

Thats most unfortunate to hear… but i’t looks like that only Gigabyte 3080 TI’s are affectet, unless someone had this disaster with a Normal non Ti and not Gigabyte Brand card.
I realy hope that Blizz is able to fix this Problem soon, and i hope that everyone has any Posibilety to Replace there Card.

Same thing happened to me in the church flashbalck cutscene but the GPU is still working.
Two times it happened and fans on GPU went all mad but i force reset the PC quick and it was able to boot again.
3rd time i just skipped the cutscene and it was fine.

Gigabyte 3080 ti eagle oc.
Never happened with another game and happened on d4 at same spot / cutscene so its definitely problem with D4!
Would be interesting to see what blizzard say about all the people whos GPUs got dead…

Well if ur computer burned out looks more a psu problem. Computer part have ther own security ur gpu can’t output more watts than his part allowing so even if a game use 100% of your gpu tdp it shouldn’t burn like that

2 Likes

Yikes…

Asus TUF OC 3080TI. None of that has happened.

4 Likes

3080s run hot, 3090s even more and 3080 ti probably are just between the two.
You cannot rely on Nvidia or gigabyte&co to really prevent cards from overheating. What they do might be enough for normal conditions, but some of you probably have bad air flow or especially bad cards. My 3080 doesn’t go over 78°C in Diablo, but I put custom memory pads on it, which improved temps by 15-20°C… Because the factory pads where absolutely cheap garbage.

Always do this:

• Monitor your temps with hwinfo or similar
  • create alarms for high temps, especially if you can’t see the temps on another monitor while gaming
  • put in a frame rate limit!!! Any card that has more than enough power for max settings in a game will burn way hotter than it needs to if it can produce unlimited fps, especially in menus. Do you really need more than 120fps anywhere? No? Then put in that fps limit… And do it globally in the Nvidia settings, so games that don’t give you settings until after you get past a queue (wtf) kill your cards. It will save money on power and your card will live longer.
5 Likes

Ive been running on a Razer blade advanced 15 with RTX 3080 and havent had any issues. To be fair it always runs hot, but i guess thats what to expect from a gaming laptop.

same for me, during the cutscene, black screen and all the fans in the computer started howling to the max :expressionless: :expressionless: RTX 3080Ti…RiP, 32gb ramm 3600 MHz, i911900k, monitor Ultrawide 3840x1080

2 Likes

What kind of cooling do you guys have I have a 3080 and have played for hours no crashing no problems gpu usually stays around 60c during extended play got up to around 80c once but that’s only because I had it on a really quiet profile , if your gpu is in a hot box (little to no intake/exhaust in your case) it’s not really blizzards failt

1 Like

Not quite how things work, the game itself can’t and won’t break your GPU.

The reason this usually happens is because there are pre-existing issues such as the PSU being on the way out, poor airflow, shitty/missing thermal pads or otherwise poor QC.

Graphically intensive games like Diablo IV will max out your GPU usage and TDP unless you tweak your settings, this will put the card under the highest stress levels possible. So if there are any previously unknown issues with your hardware, this would be the time for them to show up.

These kinda threads happen every time a graphically intensive game is released. Your GPU burning out was bound to happen sooner or later on any demanding game, Diablo IV or not.

6 Likes

I have a 3070TI in an Alienware laptop. My cpu has been consistent 92-100 C while playing D IV. It hasn’t gone above 100 and it hasn’t crashed either. I have the laptop on a 5 fan cooling tray with all the fans at max speed. I probably wouldnt play the game with my high temps, but its all under warranty so… I’ll let you know if it shits out.

I mean if it was 1 or 2 people then I’d agree with most of you people, but it’s clearly not since it’s happening to quite a number of people lol. Anyone whos shitty enough to say “Well, i have no problems so its clearly not the game and just you!” Should really stay the hell away from tech support and stop replying to forums like this.

The issue comes down to either an issue with the game at certain cutscene(s) that are causing this, or a driver error that is trying to increase performance while uncapped and burning out the cards.

3 Likes

Same GPU. Occasionally my display drivers just fail (nothing detected on either screen) and the fan starts going nuts. Only fix is to turn off the computer at the switch.

Computer is only about 6 months old, I really doubt it’s an issue on my end.

My Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING also died whist playing D4 Beta.

Not in the cutscene where several 3080’s apparently have died but mid game. Just POOF… PC dead. Upon removal the GPU is could start up again. (With the broken 2080 TI connected it wouldn’t power on.)

I am sceptial if D4 actually caused my 2080 TI to die (worked fine since 2019), but I am posting this for ‘statistics’. If several others might have died in similar conditions it could indicate D4 might be at fault somehow. Not for me to determine.

The GPU wasn’t hot to the touch nor does it exhibit any signs of actual smoldering or something. No smells. It was running fine until it just didn’t run anymore.

I’ve replaced the ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING with a AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT.
On a side note; With both the cards (the 2080 TI and the RX 6950 XT) I experienced the “Out of memory error”. Reducing the texture quality to ‘Medium’ seems to solve this issue. (For more info, see this thread: D4 has run out of RAM?)