An open letter to the games Devs

Can I just enquire about how your matchmaking works?

I used to play daily, but the game became horrendous, broken game mechanics, terrible matchmaking, just terrible in general. After spending probably at least £1000 over the time I’ve played Hearthstone it was just such a shame.

When the Battlegrounds game mode came out, I gave it a try and really liked it. I reinvested time and money into playing once more, but after a few weeks, it’s gotten to the point I dont know why I even bothered again.

I have opened probably close to 100 packs since I came back, gotten absolute crap, resorting to dusting 90% of my wild cards in order to even make a deck to be able to play with.

The the last 2 months have been bearable, nothing great, not massive progress but also nothing major to moan about, about from the extreme lack of value for money when it comes to card pulls, but what did I expect?

But this matchmaking currently is a joke, I have literally had nothing but terrible matches for 5 days, using the same deck that I used last month.

I’ve lost to Leeroy about 15 times in 2 days, and I’ve been insanely close to smashing my macbook in frustration. its a stress that I dont need in my life.

I have NEVER seen anything but ‘worthy opponent’ come up with the spinning wheel, but I can tell you this for nothing, if they are worthy opponents then why am I drawing nothing but 7/8/9 cost cards from the mulligan and they are drawing 2 x embiggen and the ‘Draw a card and if you’re holding a dragon gain a mana crystal’ and they always seem to draw a dragon the next turn.

Its infuriating and I am angry at myself for even wasting my time in writing this message to which I suspect wont get me anywhere.

I dont know whether there is a distinct difference in the revenue generated by hearthstone for blizzard in the last year or two but if there is, I can tell you why:

basic meta, no variation, one type of deck that if you can’t afford the dust to make, you can’t beat.

Broken mechanics, double embiggen first turn for no cost? then a 6/8 beast with reborn that they bring back every time, after having to use 5 cards to kill it because its 10/12. real fair.

anyway, its annoying me the more I type.

Sincerely,
An angry, unappreciated fan of the game.

3 Likes

Standard play has always been like this. There cant be much variation because only certain card sets are active at the time. People use certain decks in order to advance. My experience is that people usually use fast aggro decks until rank 12-10 and you can actually meet a larger variety of decks (compared to higher ranks).
From ranks 10 and upwards decks are limited to what we call “meta decks”. At that point you need to be able to “read” the meta by choosing to play a deck that beats the deck that you usually meet. Since at that rank you meet a less variety of decks, it shouldn’t be too hard. Its the rock-paper-scissors effect.
Embiggen druid is very popular at ranks 10-5. So i would bet my money that if you created a Quest Ress Priest you could climb that bracket easier than playing with a Galakrond Warrior for example. And since Quest Ress Priest is actually the counter of Face Hunter (which you should also meet alot), i would suggest you make that deck to avoid frustration.

2 Likes

See i’ve been playing quest priest, its usually amazingly effective at combating aggro, but not when 9/10 games all I draw is 8/9/10 cost cards. That’s more my issue, if it’s a fair match up, then why are my draws almost certainly not RNG, they are the WORST possible, whilst they draw their best possible. Frustrating.

Watch how someone will go on about confirmation bias now.

In reality, nobody knows how the matchmaking works but those people you adressed with your open letter.

If you could post here your deck and at which bracket you currently playing i could give you an answer on that.

Resurrect Priest

Class: Priest

Format: Standard

Year of the Dragon

2x (0) Forbidden Words

1x (1) Activate the Obelisk

2x (2) Penance

1x (3) Breath of the Infinite

1x (3) Shadow Word: Death

1x (4) Archmage Vargoth

2x (4) Mass Dispel

2x (4) Psychopomp

2x (5) Convincing Infiltrator

2x (5) Mass Hysteria

2x (5) Sandhoof Waterbearer

1x (5) Zilliax

2x (6) Khartut Defender

1x (8) Catrina Muerte

2x (8) Mosh’Ogg Enforcer

1x (9) Archivist Elysiana

2x (9) Mass Resurrection

2x (9) Plague of Death

1x (9) Zerek’s Cloning Gallery

AAECAZ/HAgjTCqCAA42CA9aZA5ObA4adA92rA/KsAwvWCpeHA9iJA4KUA5ibA5mbA6GhA6+lA9GlA5mpA5+pAwA=

Rank 10 onwards

Bravo…Really Bravo…Last 2 years,especially the last two years,you are absolutely right :clap:
PS: I’ve been playing for 5 years,It is very interesting mechanics,I won, against reno decks ( many times ) but
always 99.99% reno card, always in the hands of the opponent. ( max 7 mana ) or
I am very unlucky :slight_smile:

Why 2 ?
Common · Minion · Rastakhan

First of all i would definately change both Mosh’Ogg Enforcer with 2x Batterhead. It can clear a board in one turn most of the times.

You run Archivist Elysiana… which is a very odd card for Ress Priest. I can understand the reason to put it in your deck but it costs 9 mana which means that you practicaly lose a turn.
Instead you could use Spirit of the Dead. It costs 1 mana, it gradually fills your deck with minions you actually need. And it can be played with Mass Ressurection or Zerek’s cloning Gallery. And if you play Zerek seperately and Spirit of the dead is still in your deck, you can have a nice copy of it as well. Its a much MUCH better choice than Archivist Elysiana.

Personaly i use Holy Nova instead of Breath of Infinite. But thats up to everyone’s preference.
Also i’ve put Divine Hymn in my deck as well. It can do miracles if you play it along side with Archmage Vargoth. If you also have damaged minions on board it can complete your quest in one turn.

Anyway, these changes may seem minor to you, but try them out and you’ll find that they actually work much better.

with Zereks, it gives a divine shield taunt to protect Catrina, but also with the Quest hero power, its a very difficult removal late game.

Exactly, you are thinking about late game protection. But the thing is that in the late game you have alot of tools to play with, you wont need taunt minions. Its much better if you load your graveyard pool with minions like Batterhead.
Also with Zerek, Batterhead has rush, and if Zerek summons Catrina it will give you space at the end of your turn to summon a full HP minion or 2 if both Batterheads are summoned.
And if Spirit of the Dead is summoned with Zerek + 2X Batterheads you will also get 2 copies of Batterhead into your deck that costs 1 mana…

You see, when creating a deck, you need to think about synergy of your cards rather than situational and individual card play.

I have made a few of the changes you mentioned, lets see how I go!

Thank you.

UPDATE

I’ve noticed SOME improvements in areas, but also a major flaw. The Spirit of the dead floods your deck so quickly that you cannot get the cards you need when you need them. For example, against a large board of minions, Plague of death or a great mass resurrection is likely the only thing that can save you, especially with the 10 heath buffed taunt beast that seems to be present in ALL Embiggen decks, but when you constantly draw Khartut defender because there are 20 of them in your deck, then no matter how little they cost, they will only hold the line for a couple of turns, then with 30+ damage on board, you’re stuck.

I put so much thought into it initially before selecting Elysiana, the main benefit being that she doesn’t need to be used until you are about to go into draw damage, then at this point you generally have enough health to afford a turn to play her.

I think i’ve seen enough benefit to Batterhead in a single match to know that that change is a benefit, but I don’t know that without a significant draw card, its safe to use Spirit of the Dead reliably.

Nice to see that some of the changes worked out for you.

As for the flaw you mentioned, it is really important to know when to play your Spirit of the Dead. If you play it (by hand) when your deck is half then yes you will get caught in a situation where your deck will be flooded with minions practicaly crippling your own deck.
Elysiana and Spirit of the dead are played in this deck for the same reason. You wouldnt play Elysiana when you have 15 cards in your deck. Same case with Spirit of the dead, you wouldnt play it when your deck is at 15. Both cards serve the same purpose. Refill your deck with minions. Elysiana is replacing your cards (if you have any) and it costs 9 mana. Spirit of the Dead is shuffling cards into your deck and it costs 1 mana.

The only case you might caught in a similar situation is if Zerek summons a copy of Spirit. But even in that case spirit of the dead has 1/1 which means you can attack with it and stop Spirits effect with not much impact in your deck.

What are you doing? You are looking for excuses to stay in the game, when you listed plenty of good reasons to leave it?

I there ever was a department of unethical marketing in the company, you are providing the perfect template for a post that they should have written.

Youll get that a lot around here.

Also in other hs forums.

People love playing this very game they just love to hate

I wish they didn’t hate it (if there were more logical improvements)

Yeah hate is stupid to begin with

But if you fo sonething you hate its basicly you hating yourself

I mean when i love myself then i dont freely choose to do sonething i hate