Battleground Matchups

I have a curiosity, hoping there is an answer and not “totally random”. How is it decided who you fight after every match? Because i think it’s something that needs to be addressed and, if possible, changed. Once in a while i happen to play against the same 2-3 people, and never meet people in the lobby, other times i always play against the same guy every two matches. Worst of all, and reason why i think there should be a change, is that i end constantly against the top 3 people, that just keep gets free wins and i don’t even have time to build anything going against lucky high roll people that just crush.
So is it random, or is there a factor i’m not aware of that decides such things? I don’t mind usually, just queue for another game, but again it’s something a little bit illogical. Sure, luck and rng is part of the game, reason it’s fun, but who you fight shouldn’t be random if you want to give more of a chance to players. Otherwise you just have 100% bad luck and end constantly against the top players, never someone around your area of hp or win streak.

I did not see the exact information on this subject. But it seems to me that not everything is random. At a minimum, a game almost never gives the same opponent twice in a row. If you lose a few rounds in a row, they usually give you a weak opponent (or dead). But most likely the remaining cases are chosen really by random. I also sometimes had situations when I never crossed paths with 3-4 opponents (often including a friend who played the same game with me)

You can’t face someone you’ve faced in the previous 2 rounds* other than that it is random. It’s hard to make you constantly face new opponents simply because people get knocked out, which would completely mess with any hidden preordained order where you face the other 7 players in order. It definitely could be a bit better but it’s way better than when it was only the player from your last round that you couldn’t face.

*there are some scenarios where certain players can’t possibly face someone they haven’t played in the last 2 rounds, so it’s just random at that point.

Facing everyone is difficult indeed, but sometimes i just end up with the same bunch of people, and i just wonder why. That isn’t a problem, cause for example if there was a matchmaking that would be obvious: i’m strong/weak they put me against those strong/weak in the lobby, so the same guys. But sometimes it just feels strange.
Was wondering because i did a match where i kept ending against the top 3 guys and only got crushed, and of course they had “easier” opponents so they grew faster. And one match i played Deathwing and was first for nearly all match, but got paired against the people in the bottom, making me thing it was the main reason i won, having not so strong opponents and managing to build up easier than others.
I don’t think it breaks the game how things are, just another random thing in a random game, but i think it might be improved. Especially for the friend/teammate: i love the tournament they did for example, but i didn’t like that teammates in the same lobby could end against each other. Sure, you can talk, manage the board how you like, have Rafaam to steal maybe something specific, but not that nice in my personal opinion. And i wouldn’t mind having something like that in my games, where i fight my friend and meet him in the finals, but in this personal case it’s really a minor thing, i still like fighting my buddy even in the middle of the match.

if matchmaking is random, you will eventually get results that don’t look/feel random. the only way to always have results that look/feel totally random is to rig it.

1 Like