Question for Vlad, BigHugger, Ixnay, ..., you know the type

Actually this is a question for everyone interested, but I don’t expect much interest from outside the group of people that I outlined by examples in the title.

I didn’t wanna put “regulars” there because I expect a lot more HongKong-related threads to pop up and I wanted this thread to have at least a chance to be seen by the target group, so I opted for a clickbaity title.

I certainly didn’t intend to exclude anyone from being addressed by this thread.

Anyway, the question is: are you guys interested in me making a discord channel?
(keep in mind, as of today, I know nothing about discord, but I expect it to feature a discussion forum).

I’m asking this in the light of the recent events in the forum. I don’t anticipate this to go on forever, but right now it is next to impossible to discuss anything other than Hongkong/China because that other thread would vanish in an instant.

plus it would give us the opportunity to discuss other, non-HS-related things. (we might even get Mandatar back)

so yea, as soon as there’s enough interest I get started on this and if not, I still love you :wink:

3 Likes

I’d be up for it. To be honest the only reason I lurk more and write less is because the current noise is a tad too much for me. I discuss a lot of science, philosophy and politics in other contexts and there’s no Hearthstone there, go figure… I don’t mind the occasional tangent but playing Hearthstone seems to be the tangent now.

So yeah… happy to be part of it. No idea how you’d manage who to invite or how to moderate it though. That’s a whole new problem.

2 Likes

I never used Discord, don’t know how it works and barely have time for such things, I’ll google it latter, I guess it’d be a good idea, anyhow this forum is General Discussions but I see people speak exclusively about the game while other forums that have “general discussions” have the forum be half off topic half on topic mostly
Maybe there’s a policyagainst that that I did not read though

1 Like

your blog surely played a part in me coming up with that idea :wink:

I’d just invite those people who express their interest in this thread and go from there. the idea is to somewhat create a community that openly discusses various topics (without the constant dickery that goes on in there). I’ve learned a lot in those page-long discussions and I’d like that to continue, both for myself and others.

so ideally people would invite their friends/acquaintances that they think would fit in there. we’ve already got a create core for such an endeavour.

I don’t expect much need for this. but I imagine there to be an option to kick out people who can’t behave politely and/or delete posts if need be.

Personally, I’ve always liked the idea of getting Discord for my Phone. Now you’ve suggested it, I kinda like the idea of this Hearthstone Forum Regular discord. Lemme know the server link if you make it. :wink:

1 Like

have it on the phone, but can’t use it too much at work

as far as we allready have our blizz id’s in a group, and some of us have each other on FB, maybe a FB group would be more apropriate

yet, discord is fine for me too

1 Like

I REALLY don’t wanna reactivate my FB account though…

yeah, i guessed the reason we didnt do it yet is something like that

aye, so fb goes to the trash bin

i’m up for Disco

edit: have any of you tried the blizz chat app on phone?

1 Like

Ooh ooh if there is a Discord can I have a special channel where I can post some variation on “Buy more card packs.” on a semi-regular basis?

In all seriousness though, whilst a Discord is a novel idea, I wouldn’t worry too hard about the current Hong Kong Phooey.

The kind of people that are serious about major political reform in Hong Kong aren’t taking to the Blizzard forums to effect these changes.

This thing will blow over in a week or so. I often wonder what the point of mainstream news coverage is anymore, attention spans are so short.

2 Likes

this isn’t the reason for my proposal, only the final thing that made me realize that I wanna do this. the point is having an environment that is less restricted and has less background noise than the hearthstone forum.

I know most of you don’t use facebook, some don’t have an account, how about twitter though? Can you make a group there? I figured we could pick a network we have nothing against and maybe one some of us are already used to, there’d be whatsapp, twitter, snapchat…I never use social media, anyone here who does? So they’d know what’s the better option

Well i dont use twitter but i eould join discord

Its well done with good possibilities to interact in different ways

I have a lot against twitter with their blue checkmarsk, you proto hipster wannabe, you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

we could make new facebook accounts for our avatars, I’m sure the name Sheercold hasn’t been taken, the only problem is that the way groups are designed in most social media is just terrible for what we’re used to, I don’t think it’s badly done or unsuitable, just that we need to adapt if we switch to that, I saw discord is very simmilar to what facebook offers from what I’ve seen

Sure. Not sure how used it’ll be long term but that’s only going off how long the bnet social tabs stayed in regular use :grimacing:

The bnet group only had subgroups for specific decks though. All non-hearthstone related stuff was thrown in the general discussion, making it impossible to have several discussions going on at the same time.

I don’t use discord, so I don’t have any idea about its uses and issues, but I’m willing to give it a go.

Not sure if I pass as a regular here but I could maybe hop on over for a gander?

2 Likes

As someone who uses discord a lot id be up for it, im veery familiar so i could easily set a server up, give certain people privileges so they can moderate and create a bunch of texts for where its needed, also add custom emotes

I don’t know if this is a Germany thing but I’m pretty sure that at least we can’t make facebook accounts with obviously fake names. I think they get banned. but I really don’t want to have anything to do with facebook. if everyone wanted I’d bend to public opinion though. reluctantly.

the qualification isn’t ‘be a regular’, but ‘don’t be a d!ck’. but yes, you do.

1 Like

from what I know as long as you’re not reported and if you are as long as you don’t fail their tests there should be no problem in it, I do respect

that
though

1 Like