64 bit installation not working

I try to install Heroes of the Storm and it says it needs a 64 bit system, which I have. I had the same issue with Overwatch and someone had some sort of download starter, then you’d scan for the game and it’d finally start the installation. But I haven’t seen anything for that anywhere. I have seen a few others having the same problem on a different forum some years back and no fix mentioned.

I did just install Starcraft 2, it worked, and noticed it’s locked into a 32 bit launch client yet Overwatch lacks the option completely. I’m thinking maybe HotS is trying to do the same and isn’t getting as lucky as Starcraft 2 did.

1 Like

Good morning JohnSpirit,

Do you get any error when you try to start the installation?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Yes I do, a pop up window says “A 64-bit operating system is required to install and play Heroes of the Storm.” You might also be after the “More help: BLZBNTAGT000009D2” link at the bottom. Which tells me I don’t meet the requirements when according to the systemrequirementslab website I meet all fields, minimum and recommended.

Hello again,

Thanks a million for the clarification. Have you tried disabling the compatibility mode?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Yes, I checked that and it was already unchecked(that might sound confusing but yes it’s how it should be lol).

Alright, which DirectX are you running?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

System says I am running DirectX 11

Could you please post a DXDiag and MSInfo here? If the data is too big to be posted on the forum directly, you can use a page like pastebin.com and post the link to it here then.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Well I have them saved and ready but I don’t know how to send files nor does it let you send links as I tried when I mentioned that previous “systemrequirementslab website”
Edit: I’m guessing this is the gist of what you need for the MSInfo: System Information report written at: 04/01/19 07:36:45
System Name: JOHN-PC
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JOHN-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP45-UD3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Xeon® CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz, 2999 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F9, 1/27/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “6.1.7601.24387”
User Name John-PC\John
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.46 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.3 GB
Page File Space 8.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Then this for the dxdiag maybe:

System Information

Time of this report: 4/1/2019, 07:37:49
Machine name: JOHN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.190305-1700)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP45-UD3L
BIOS: Dell Systemar BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 4871MB used, 11507MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Hello,

Can you try and set the Compatibility mode to Windows 7 instead of letting it unchecked?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

I just did, still no luck.

And you have double checked that you are meeting the minimum requirements?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Yes, even you can see some of my specs above that should meet them, right? The exact line it gives me is about not having a 64 bit system which I clearly have. Am I out of luck here?

Hello again,

Well, it looks like that your CPU isn’t supported by the motherboard that you have and only runs because a modified version of the BIOS for the board was used. This might result in a compatibility issue which causes the problem with the game. You could try and check which BIOS (and if it is the correct one) is used and if it is the correct one. But this is unfortunately out of scope of our support.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

I guess this would be a dead end, I have no issues with other, especially bigger, games that I meet spec requirements for. Even though I did for Overwatch, a work around fixed it which I’m grateful for. I was hoping to get my money’s worth out of that game and did. Anyways, thanks for your time!

Heya,

The main issue here is the CPU; it doesn’t fully support all 64-bit instructions required to run Heroes of the Storm.

If you tried to install Win10 on this machine, you may have run into a similar issue.

Your mainboard itself is capable, given the latest Bios was installed. However, you need a newer CPU (such as a Q9550, Q9650 or any other Dual Core with a Conroe) with support for this feature.

Feedback? Fill out this Survey.

That’s not too surprising, my cpu has been a problem recently with such as Apex Legends and For Honor, but some of that was fixed on the devs end. I guess an upgrade is in my future, thanks for the help everyone!

Good morning JohnSpirit,

I am sorry that this wasn’t the result you were hoping to see but unfortunately, there is not much we can do in this case.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

I just found a solution to this problem for my friend.
Ask someone for an installed game (folder with game) or download it from the Internet. Any version. Put it in the folder where Blizzard games are installed. Then enter BattleNet and instead of the “install” button you will see the “play” button. After that, the game will begin to be updated. Next, you will go into it, enter your login and password and play!
For those who have not bought the game: you will not play it until you buy it.
Yes, I am a Russian hacker. I’ll ask Blizzard to give me a reward for facilitating their work (yes, they delete all the topics on the forum dedicated to the installation error on a 64-bit system). It worked for Overwatch.

In case it may help somebody:
If you’ve also done a 771->775 socket/CPU mod on your system (like the OP appears to have); be sure that your BIOS-provided microcode properly supports the CPU: see if CPU-Z (the software) shows support for “SSE4.1” (the lack of that appeared to cause this issue for me). I’m not sure if external linking is allowed here, so I won’t, however I googled something like “771 sse4.1” and one of the near-top results described the process of substituting the microcodes in the BIOS (please read the instructions carefully there, if you’re going to go that route – this may not work for all configurations, can break the system, etc … but you probably know that, running the mod in the first place :slight_smile: ). In my case SSE 4.1 support showed up thereafter and Battle.net allowed me to install the games it previously wouldn’t on that system (claiming unmet requirement for a 64-bit OS, like for the OP). I only play-tested Overwatch though (it ran without issues).

Background:
As far as I can tell, the codename “Harpertown” Xeons (socket 771, server-oriented) (such as the OP’s model, as well as X5460, that I have in a rig I tested this with) are essentially the same chips as the desktop codename “Yorkfield” ones (such as the ones Radathryl mentioned (e.g. Q9650)) and their supported feature-sets appear to be identical. However, as Kiemmaki pointed out, 775-motherboard BIOS support for the Xeons (771) can well be lacking – mine, for example, curiously did have a microcode for my Xeon already listed in the latest BIOS revision from the manufacturer, however one without SSE 4.1 support for some reason (which the CPU does officially support).