Client keeps forcing 7.1 surround

As in the title, the Heroes of the Storm client keeps forcing 7.1 surround despite me only having stereo plugged in. I’ve marked out the possibility of third party/Windows interfering. There was a moment where I could force the client to set to Stereo, but whenever I checked back it would default to 7.1 again. Not a gamebreaker, but it certainly is annoying. Is there any config file I could edit and set to “read only” for the time being?

Hi MajorKoper

Try deleting the Variables.txt file in Documents\Heroes of the Storm, that’s where the game’s settings are saved so it may not be able to update the value properly. Also make sure that cloud backup programs, such as OneDrive, aren’t messing with the folder or files within it. Sometimes they try to back up files that have been updated, while the game’s running, and that can cause all kinds of weird behaviour

Just tried deleting the file, it did little to nothing. I do use TV as my monitor, however it’s sound driver has been manually disabled in Control Panel. When I used my TV as output(for the sake of testing), it’d properly switch to stereo, and stay even after entering a game (ranked, qm, try mode etc.). Of course, when i disabled the driver and plugged the speakers back in, it’d set back to surround. As a last-ditch effort i tried plugging the speakers into different headphone/line input jacks, but to no avail.