Game causes computer to power off then back on again

Hi,

After the most recent patch i have found that whenever i try to play a game of HoTs my computer will suddenly power off then back on again. This seems to occur at random but the most common place is when the count down to join a game has hit 1 or when on the match loading screen when everyone’s connection bar has reached full.

I don’t have this issue with any other game on my computer even ones more resource heavy than HoTs and I’ve ran various checks on my computer and all the components seem to be running fine. I have also followed your guide to disable XBOX DVR and I have updated the drivers for the various components on my PC yet that hasn’t yielded any good results.

My computer is roughly 3 years old so this isn’t a teething issue with the components and my PSU is a 1000w corsair Platinum so it has more than enough horsepower to run my system.

I have also tried Re-installing windows and doing a complete wipe on my computer along with lowering my RAM timings and this hasn’t seemed to do anything.

(Update)

After wiping my computer i went into the settings of the game and tried to change the graphics settings to ultra the game caused my computer to shut off, i proceeded to re-stress test my graphics card but that didn’t seem to bother the card and it ran fine. The game then ran fine until i entered a match and immediately my computer lost and regained power.

Any advice / Help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Karksins

Have you tried microwaving your hard drive?

That didn’t even cross my mind, ill try it now.

Welp that didnt work

Try a different power supply and motherboard as well as CPU

This game is rather taxing on your CPU so that might be your issue right there

Run a stress test on your CPU as this definitely seems more like a hardware issue than anything else

And although your power supply may be a powerful model some components may indeed have failed on it resulting in it being unable to provide enough power when this game kicks your computer into overdrive

It might be why it works fine during normal conditions and loses power under load

The possibilities are many and we have to narrow them down

It’s not that harsh on a processor I’ve played hots for a while on a Pentium.

Which Pentium?

For your information Pentium is actually a very good processor with good single thread performance which is what this game actually demands

This game probably isn’t even optimized for something higher than a quad core

So a quad core CPU with good single thread performance is ideal for it

Pentium 4. I did need to have to use min specs. single core 1.3 ghz or there about.

Ah now that was an amazing CPU back when it first came out

It’s not hard for me to believe that it can still run some modern games

Ok,
So i am unable to change power supply, Motherboard or PSU. But the fact that you are telling me to gut my system and set up another doesn’t fill me with hope.

You are saying that my PSU might fail under load but if i run another game surely that would put my PSU under a load as well and a higher one at that seeing as if i were to play say The witcher 3 at 4k it would cause my GPU to draw more power as it is a more demanding application and even then it wouldn’t just increase my GPU draw it would increase the entire systems draw as a whole from the wall.

But i ran an hour stress test in the form of “Intels extreme tuning utility” “CPUID powermax” and “Heavy load” on my CPU and it ran normally. I then proceeded to run a full system stress test to put a heavy load on my PSU in the form “3D mark” on its highest test and it didn’t cut out. I looked on event viewer to see what error messages it threw up when my computer shut off when i tried to play HoTs and it gave me “Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power” error code “41” but then i look into the details section to see what the bug-check code is and it gives me “0” across the whole board

Another thing is my CPU is a quad core single thread performer “I5-6600K” so as you have just stated it should run perfectly.

Have You tried seeing how it looks on task manager when it crashes?

I did how ever find out a solution to the problem. A setting in the “shutdown settings” of the “Power Options” tab in windows has caused issues for a lot of windows users but turning off “Turn on fast startup” seems to have fixed the problem for now anyway.

Windows 10 and it’s faultiness strikes once again it seems

Be on the lookout for this kind of problem again

Set power options to always run things at maximum and turn off any automatic shutdowns or power saving features

I myself am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and everything seems to work very smoothly

So you might want to go back to that if the issue persists in the future

From what I can tell your PSU and your CPU are working well

But the automatic shutdown may also be caused by the motherboard being unable to regulate power to everything on the board

Since GPU takes power mostly directly from the PSU it’s mostly likely the reason why Witcher 3 is not suffering this problem

Whereas in Heroes of the Storm the motherboard is almost always kicked into overdrive when it launches

I hope this is merely a Windows 10 issue that has been fixed for you

Please consider Windows 7 64 bit if this keeps happening in the future

I’ll be happy to guide you