Unplayable at low levels

Then the poster would have stated “I took a break”. Quitting means to stop, cease or discontinue, which is what the poster did.

I agree, hence quitting. :slight_smile:

LOL. Sounds spot on :slight_smile: Guys spend 30 seconds not soaking a lane, to kill mercs which deal major damage on towers and provide stronger lane push… only to ignore the mercs while the enemy kills them and negates the entire purpose of the mercs in the first place.

You summed up the game quite accurately :slight_smile:seek out the enemy in some random area that had no tactical importance”. What you should have tried to do was to point out to your teammates their mistake… that would have seen about four votes for abusive language coming your way :slight_smile:

To be fair, you can kind of expect this at Gold 5-3 and certainly if you’re gaming over the weekend. What killed me was getting this at Plat 2-3 after the season started again.

PS, in order to win at these low levels, you unfortunately have to dumb down to your allies levels. You can’t try to soak lanes while your allies engage 4v5 at ‘some random location’… you have to continuously JOIN THEM at these random locations and ensure they don’t have 4v5’s…

Do you know how many games I played going mega explod/grav team Gazlow build with slow turrets, waiting patiently AT the objective in Volskaya Foundry with 3 turrets plus merc turrets… only for my allies to engage 4v5 away from the just outside of the objective :slight_smile: ?

Did you get the blame then btw ? Where they went ‘always 4v5’, report Gaz :slight_smile: ?

The poster also mentioned coming back to the game

Which quitting does NOT mean

take a break
(merriam-webster) : to stop doing something for a short period of time. e.g. to rest I’m tired.
(oxford) :a short period of time when you stop what you are doing and rest, eat, etc.

The poster’s intention was not to return to the game at a later stage, as such it cannot be considered taking a break. As indicated, he intended to quit playing the game permanently. I can factually state that I quit playing Starcraft 5 years ago. I have no intention of returning to playing the game. It would be wholly inaccurate to claim that I ‘took a break’ if I decided to start playing Starcraft again tomorrow.

Similarly a person does not ‘take a break’ from smoking, they quit. If they resume smoking a month after quitting, they did not ‘take a break’ from smoking, they resumed smoking after quitting.

You are conflating two different actions and the poster’s intent is all that matters.

It does not matter what the dictionary says

If you “quit” and then come back

It’s not really quitting

lol. and? If you cannot carry that, its not the mm system that is the problem.

You are a moron. 1 player can pull an entire team down, more than 1 player can carry an entire team in this game

Agreed. That is because team composition often depends on

1. Tanks.
  2. Healers.
  3. DPS.

It is not simply a case of playing 80% v 100% (4v5), rather we have no tank or healing at a teamfight, so gg.

It also depends on gaining XP and one player can simply start ignoring their lane and then that is XP you can’t recover.

One great player can obviously improve your chances significantly, but not as much as a troll/afk/or tank taking camp during obj :slight_smile:

REM - nice one on a 70% winrate. However, it isn’t the case for a plat player playing at silver for instance so it’s not a very useful number for anyone.

I don’t have complete set of stats and indeed stats are hard to comeby in this game. However, I will give an example player that I know well. He just recently got to plat after climbing up extremely slowly from Bronze over 3+ years. That’s not 3-4 years of improving. He is the same level player he was 2 years ago when I started playing. His winrate last season was just over 50% around high silver\low gold. I often play in a duo with him on his other account which started this season in silver. Last season he had a 50% winrate. This season his winrate is between 50 and 55% and up to Silver 1 from Silver 2. He regularly gets frustrated and really doesn’t much enjoy playing at the Silver\Gold level as a Plat level player.

I think this season it has much improved at this level in terms of the amount of unwinnable games being less than they were for me last season, not because I have improved much but because it seems the matchmaker isn’t punishing me when MMR became seperated from rank.

The real problem is not that people can’t climb at all. It is people don’t want to play more than 1,000 shocking terrible games to get good games through getting past the mess that is Gold and below. Most people who left simply got sick of it and went and did something they found more rewarding with their time.

The system has improved, although it still isn’t good enough. Getting 199 points win or lose when my winrate is over 55% isn’t good enough. People losing less than 200 points on a loss when their winrate is under 45% isnt good enough. The MMR becomes certain of your rank after a number of games rather than becoming certain of your WINRATE at a given rank. To be honest even adjusting the alogirthm to take into account number of deaths during games would make the system work a ton better.

Yes I am a moron because I win games while smart asses with 30 IQ like you cry about imaginable problems. I have 67.5% lifetime winrate on my diamond 4 account currently (191 games in total). For a kid who is too dumb to do simple maths, it means I win over 2 times more games than I lose.

On my main I am masters, again with 60% winrate or so in high ranks.

Meanwhile you are probably a gold or below hopeless loser. Tell me again who is the “moron”.

“Smart arses”.

Asses = more than one donkey.

I think you’re missing the point. The game can be manipulated via certain heroes like Falstad or Greymane, perhaps even Genji to provide high winrates, but this only holds for certain heroes. I would like to see similar results with say Morales or Lili.

You said it because like 95% of the kids on the internet, you don’t know better.

The only person mastering that particular zinger is you. Playground insult, or do you take it up a notch occasionally with the IQ jibes :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Correct, we’ve established that.

I smurf Lili, so well aware what she can achieve at low ranks. This discussion is not about carrying at low ranks, rather pulling your “67.5% lifetime win-rate on my diamond 4 account” …

Do you think achieving a 70% win-rate across Silver/Gold is impressive? You have to throw your QM’s and match-making to even be matched with Silver players in the first place :joy:. Even my smurf accounts with heroes that I am utterly useless with didn’t see me play any HL matches with silver players.

Here’s some maths for you :slight_smile:

If you maintain a 70% winrate across any tier, after 50 games in total to move onto the next tier (35-15) . From Gold to Diamond that’s 100 games (70-30). In order to move from a 70% winrate to 67% winrate at Diamond 4, you must have dramatically dropped to 10-10 at Diamond 4 in order to get a 3% drop in total win rate.

Clearly you are the anomaly because most GM’s I’ve played with maintained an 80% winrate, even across Plat. Of course they did so with only a hand-full of heroes which must be the explanation as you likely used at least half the heroes available :relaxed:

Mistaken identity here ha. I thought you are the guy “insomnia” who said “You are a moron. 1 player can pull an entire team down, more than 1 player can carry an entire team in this game”.

My point was that carrying in this game is easy, and one player will make the difference, hence people can get high winrates. You seem to say the same thing, that carrying is very possible, so we can agree on that.

If someone is truly plat mmr then they will get over 60% winrate in silver easily. Period. If your mate struggles at silver, it means he is probably below plat in skill level.

That is a circular argument. You think plat players can carry at 60% therefore someone who has climbed to plat with a lower win rate than that can’t be plat? It also suffers from a lack of logical consistency.

The players I have played with have have climbed fast, all have been good not just in their micro and macro play but also in their calmness and level of support they show to other players when they make mistakes. Most above average players get stuck because they simply struggle to play with bad players. They don’t enjoy playing with bad players and they find the experience extremely unpleasant - they often get tilted or toxic or both when playing at a level far below their own ability.

One example would be getting value after kills - bad players do nothing to get value. An above average player might try to get everyone to push or grab an enemy camp and then after team refuses to join them go for it anyway, get caught out and die.

As to whether he is a plat player - he is currently plat 5 on his main account after climbing since Beta when he joined with no experience of MOBA games. So I should have described him as Gold\Plat - although on QM and UR both he and I in previous seasons when checking storm league profiles of players we played against (this is for his alt account also) - and they were Plat or Diamond in the main.

This season they have mostly been silver\gold - I assume QM rank was reset to Storm level - was this confirmed anywhere?

1 Like

You are correct that higher level players lead the team, make calls and find ways to get further ahead. These are the skills that result in carrying, making one call to collapse when the enemy when they are doing the boss can be the difference between a win and a loss.

The typical low ranked player will think the game is unwinnable because they don’t even see the opportunities that would result in a win.

Either way, the difference between gold and plat is very small. In fact, both times I climbed I found low plat to be easier to carry than gold. Like you said, your friend should focus on learning how to make the plays and get better at the game - this will result in much higher winrates. No point playing at the same level and expect to get to what he believes his “true” rank is.

There are a number of other reasons for not getting a high enough win-rate at a lower skill level.

1. Playing a main that doesn’t allow you to carry, or doesn’t add great value at lower levels due to requirement for higher level teamplay, e.g. Mehdiv, Butcher, Lost Vikings. Or just picking a hero that will send your allies on instant-tilt e.g. Murky/Gazlow/Aba.

2. Making calls that assume your randomly selected allies will respond if needed; e.g, if you are 1v1 at a camp and you stay in the fight assuming your ally Brightwing will respond to your numerous ping requests and TP just in time or Aba will buff. Or (as you described value after kills), you win a hero battle, ping on and initiate a boss and assume all your allies will assist… only to find 2 of them pushing against 3 and dying … and then finding their re-spawned team kill 3 of you and take the boss…

3. Not playing in a pre-configured team. This is problem the most significant factor in leveling up.

4. Other smurfs. Gold/Plat is so full of smurfs there really is no reason to assume your team deserves to win because they have you in it. The other team may likely also have a number of smurfs.

There is a VAST difference between Gold 3 and Plat 5 in terms of player co-operation and a VAST difference between overall game understanding between Plat 5 and Plat 1.

I found my winrate in Gold 1 with Gazlow barely around 50%, while I averaged 60% plus with Gazlow Plat 5 and higher. My Gazlow build was team-centered as well, but trying to explain to Gold level players to hit camps/boss/soak xp inbetween objectives was simple too much. With Azmodan in contrast and in need of regular teamfights for talents, I had a far greater winrate in lower tiers where fights were mostly all or nothing hero brawls and very few players understanding how to counter Azmodin propertly. Higher levels, my winrate with Azmodin < Gazlow.

Wait are you saying that Medivh is not good for carrying? Madness

1 Like

I have watched alot of your replies for fun. Is it so that you are playing in NA regions, because if you are it’s really cute that you express yourself about your “undeniable skill” and how easy it is to carry in HOTS compared League of Lesbians.

“Soaking is cheating” - FAN ex HCG Pro and Twitch Streamer.

Math show that until level 5 to 7 you can let them die as long as you double or triple soak (ie Naz).

Get enough advantage and it won’t matter how bad your teammates are, they will win from level advantage.

“Trust the power of soak” - FAN