What happened to the ranked system?

I’m a returning player, I haven’t played since 2018 and I just notice a change that is a huge deal breaker for me. Climbing the ladder is awfully slow. I remember back in the day I got high diamond with barely 50 games at 70% winrate. Currently I’m sitting at 25 games with 75% and I have barely managed to climb 2 divisions (from silver 4 to silver 2). It is painfuly slow to the point where I’m considering quitting altogether, since I’m probably staring at 200~ ish games to get back to where I used to be.

What were the thoughts of the developers and the community when making and accepting this change? Why go from 3 games per division to 5-6?

I’m also a returning player, not sure why it was reset (if it was even intentional), but I was Diamond 3 back in 2017 and now I just finished my placements and I’m Bronze 1.

I climbed the ladder way back then and now I have to do it again, and it sounds like it’s slower than before?

Seems like a game breaker to me, doesn’t make me want to return and play anymore.

Unfortunately the matchmaking has gone from bad to worse over the years.
Climbing up the ladder is not really possible anymore