A question to the players not in vc

Over and over again, I get queued with 4 or 5 guys who’s in voicechat, but not talking or giving any information.

Most of the times, i’m the only one talking, giving info and so.
WHY are people joining voice, but doesn’t want to talk?
I mean, for me one of the best things about OW, is playing with a good team, were everybody is talking, giving callouts and so.
Thats the beauty of the game.

Plz boys and girls - Talk! Have fun, be nice - Don’t hide :frowning:

You join voice chat automatically unless you turn it off.
I want to be there in case someone talks, but I am not always comfortable talking much myself.

2 Likes

I sometimes have it on just to listen to calls.

95% it is turned off before the end of the game because either toxic behaviour, or the calls are just nonsense. (Sadly in gold/plat people tend not to do just clear simple calls)

1 Like

Well, here are some reasons that I know others don’t speak in VC and I don’t speak much myself:

• people have background noise or poor quality headsets, there’s either static buzzing, TV noise, or babies crying in the background (I am guilty of this one, other people gaming in my room can be heard on my mic even louder than my own voice, I need to get a new headset with a less sensitive mic and even then I think background noise will be an issue, BTW I am taking suggestions on good headsets)
  • technical issues (in my case push to talk wasn’t working after much troubleshooting & I could never find a binding I liked), the game is buggy and sometimes VC doesn’t work for everyone
  • forgetting to join VC - after having left VC in a previous game, even if you have autojoin on, you will not be in VC unless you remember to go back in + if you are in a group with someone, people sometimes forget to leave group chat and go team chat, sucks that you have to do this manually every game when queuing with people you know
  • people have nothing to say or contribute and just want to chill and play, they might be tired or not feeling social, or it might be their preference in general to not speak in VC ever, but many of them are listening and typing suggestions in team chat
  • people don’t like toxicity, being called out directly for small mistakes, being blamed for no reason or being forced to get into arguments with others over all sorts of irrelevant stuff, like OMG why do you have a gold portrait and you’re stuck in this rank, you must suck
  • extension to the previous point about toxicity - a lot of the players in this game are female, especially compared to the amount of female players found in other games, we have a lot, and they don’t like to talk in VC as they don’t want toxicity
  • people don’t know how to VC properly, e.g. make brief calls at the right time rather than chat about unrelated stuff during peak times or goof off in general, but they were never given a chance to learn how to make callouts because people just mute them or are hostile towards them
  • some people dominate VC too much and are very pushy with getting their points across so other people that did talk in VC before end up not talking
  • proper callouts or asking people to switch are being ignored by teams so people go, meh, what’s the point, why am I wasting my time, so they give up on it
  • smurfs, leavers, cheaters etc don’t use VC and that’s a big chunk of your player population.

I’m sure there’s more reasons that others can think of.

I have lost games due to not being in VC and I agree it’s very important to be in it but I still don’t speak most of the time cause I dislike drama. The only time I have VC’d consistently was with people I knew, so what I can suggest to you is to find some buddies or 6-stacks and VC with them. Most of the time, VC-ing goes like this:

1. Round starts. Someone says “Hi”. Maybe someone responds with a “Hi back”. Silence all game. Then they finally speak up and flame each other after the game is lost.

2. Round starts. Some dude starts yelling, some other dude is burping, another one is talking about some smurf on the enemy team or someone on our team that they played with last game and flaming them. Half the team leaves VC.

The games where VC is being used properly are like 1% of all games. You can go, yeah, let’s all be nice and social, but people will do what they want to do, they paid for the game yada yada. What I’ve learned is that as players we have to curate our own experiences by grouping up with people who are decent and we can’t expect people to be nice and use VC by default.

1 Like
  1. I’ll suggest Hyperx Cloud 2 as headset, and then buy an external mic from Arozzi - Sfera.

2. Alot of good reasons, however I think it’s in the players best interest to give the vc a shot.
    If the people in there is ret@rd0, just leave VC again, and if people are nice, wanna give calls, then stick around and talk :slight_smile:

Well I just hope people will get better at joining voice and give callouts! :slight_smile: