Another reason to look at (and prune) CC: motion sickness

I know there are many perfectly sensible gameplay reasons for looking at crowd control/boops/stuns in OW2. But This one is a personal hatred of mine: motion sickness.

I’ve just had a game with a Ball, Lucio, and junkrat. Honestly it go so bad I felt really ill afterwards. We were knocked about so much I had no idea where I was half the time.

So, if nothing else, the pruning of CC might make the game more accessible. Granted, the game already has its fair share of accessibility options but this would be a nice addition.

Now, if we could just get the dev team to also look at the headache/migraine-inducing pyrotechnics display that is Overwatch’s ability effects…

If you are suffering in such ways, you might want to discuss that with an optician.

That will more be down needing a different prescription in your glasses (if you have them, or just some glasses if you don’t)… or reduce the amount of time you spend in front of screens.

Another option could be to move a little further away from the screen, that will help your brain process what it is seeing and cause less eye strain.

1 Like

Your advice is perfectly sound, if you’ve never had these issues before you definitely need to get it checked to rule out other health issues.

For me its a sensory processing thing; one or two effects on their own isn’t an issue, but there comes a point where my brain just nopes out of trying to make sense of the visual overload that is overwatch. I think a ‘potato’ mode for visual effects alone would do it (the current lowest options might stop a low end pc from catching fire, sadly it does nothing for the vast amounts of visual clutter.)

Its shocking how many game devs forget that not everyone does well with flashing lights/hyper mobile cameras outside of epilepsy (never gonna be a Tracer main lol). Diablo 3 was another one I had to ditch half way through because the stobe-y lightning effects were blinding.

Overwatch looks great, its just a bit… too much sometimes. It’s like one of those fancy sculptures made entirely of chocolate. It looks great from a distance but experiencing the entire thing at once can leave you feeling a little queasy.

As for the motion sickness. I guess I’ll just count my lucky stars this game doesn’t have head bobbing animations :nauseated_face:

Low settings used to have way less VFX, I play on low because I myself are not a big fan of the sensory overload.

During the last 12 months, I have noticed that way more effects are now visible in low settings, for example, the sun is now blinding you in Gibraltar first point from certain angles, so I’m assuming the effects are supposed to distract you. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have added them to low settings as well. (A few years ago, you could abuse low settings to have better line of sight on certain maps, they also got rid of that)

1 Like

ah I see now, that makes sense. I knew some settings got rid of ground clutter (thus making hiding spots like bushes disappear.)

I didn’t know about Gibraltar’s sun and the likes, I certainly didn’t take into account that people would exploit low settings (although now it’s been said it makes perfect sense.)