Are cameo characters possible?

Cameo appearances have become common place in games with rosters as big as Overwatch. Agreements can be made between IP holders. Reality manipulation and dimension hopping are already possible in Overwatch.

So could the same thing happen in Overwatch? Could we have Urdnot Wrex (Mass Effect) as a tank? Or Razputin (Psychonauts) as an assault? Or even Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) as a support?

What does Ashe say when she arrives at the objective and sees Wrex defending it? “I should go.”

The question is would Activision-Blizzard be willing to pay royalties to use a character from another IP? I mean I’d be fine with actual characters taken from their own IP’s instead of just the hero skins (e.g. Kerrigan, Butcher, Demon Hunter etc), but I wouldn’t want a cameo hero just for the sake of the extra attention you know.

Extra attention can be a good thing. As I said in the “LGBT pride icons!” thread, if the enemy team is focusing on you that means you can draw them away from the objective or even lead them into ambushes. It’s free agro.

As for whether or not they’d be willing to pay the royalties: Maybe. It also depends on who’s willing to let their unused characters be used in this way. Razputin would be an excellent way to drum up hype for Psychonaughts 2 for example.

And let’s not forget that Blizz releases new characters one at a time. It’s not like they’d have to buy them all up at once.

No.

Post must be at least 20 characters.

This would be cool. i would like Samus as a cameo character