Can we get a vanilla Overwatch game?

it was once upon a time, a healer that did not know how to heal so she got moved to the DPS / Damage role the rest is history, who knows maybe she becomes a tank of one or two years

2 Likes

You want to undo all the balance changes that Blizzard has made?

Sure, Mercy is in a terrible spot, and so is Brigitte and Doomfist. There are also plenty of other heroes who are either underpowered or overpowered, but I don’t want to go back to Overwatch 1.0.

I’m going to be completely honest with you, Yes.
OW 1.0 wasn’t perfect and it’s flaws (a lot of them) but it was fun to play and felt like Overwatch should have been.
Going back to Season 3 would be totally awesome tho.

12 Likes

Almost every patched up or modified game has some nostalgics who want to stick to the older versions.

Maintaining 2 different versions of the game might be a lot of work, doing so would require very good reasons.

The game designers don’t agree with you. Otherwise they wouldn’t have worked on patches in the last 2 years.

1 Like

If anything, I feel like the game designers lost the idea of the game themselves and the amount of flaws just gone way higher overtime. Mercy clearly lost her real purpose and identity after the rework and the history of constant nerfs, Brigitte being the most unhealthy addition to the game as her design is overall doesn’t fit the nature of Overwatch, Her idea might be fine for MOBAs I.e Leona from LoL is the closet thing to her but she certainly doesn’t fit for a FPS game.

4 Likes

She isn’t worse fit than many other heros. This isn’t a classic FPS game. It’s team based with different roles. This, along with in-game hero switching allows very colourful hero design.

What do you base these assumptions on? Did you ever know the design principles at any point in the lifetime of the game? How do you decide if something is a flaw and how do you measure the amount of flaws?

And then they want a 3rd and 4th version and the work quadruples.

Cutting apart the playerbase would also not work out well. In the past they made patches and addons mostly what would not make 99% of the gamer base go back to the old one like who want to play starcraft without medics after broodwar and even then if there was a patch that was forced on the community, you either play this or you can go to free servers with smaller player base. Here if you don’t like it you can go play something else.

It would be fun tho experiencing Bastion with it’s personal shield or Mercy with her mass resurrect again.

1 Like

OW is indeed not your typical FPS like CS or Battlefield but rather follows the idea of TF2 (After all, The developers themselves did admit it). But the whole problem of her is mostly too much CC, It doesn’t really fit with the whole movement of the game.
Reinhardt is also based on CC but he is way less mobile due to the lower movement speed. While people got tired of the Dive meta being for so long (I may total understand) but it was the best meta to overall exist in the game.

My assumptions comes from the standpoint of the community and how the game shifted itself towards more casual players (Low Risk, High Reward)

And honestly, I agree with the whole idea of the video.

I’m not going to say that “OW IS DYING” or stuff like this or to open a thread and announce that I’m quitting. But the game indeed lost it’s special charm to me and as I can see for more parts of the community.

5 Likes

I was actually thinking about StarCraft when I wrote “nostalgy”. I remember that most of my friends were reluctant to change to BroodWar. A few months later everyone played BW and no one wanted to go back.

The difference between SC and OW is huge from one perspective: in my experience all SC players like SC while OW seems to have a lot of bitter players who play it even though they don’t like it. The reason is probably the team based nature and the high dependence on team mates - everything is everyone else’s fault.

When someone plays a new game without experience the beginning is always exciting. A lot of novelty and interesting challenges. Another thing that makes the experience even better that new players don’t know the flaws of the game. The composition/size of the community was also different. In case of a new game with a smaller community actually less flaws are known. For these reasons some of those who started playing OW on the older versions might have the impression that it was much better that the current new versions. However, that doesn’t mean that the game itself was actually better.

What doesn’t fit the movement of the game is players who want to play only their favourite “main” hero and expect it to be decent in all situations. Switching is a fundamental part of this game. In my experience the game design is shifting to a direction in which most heros have at least some hard counters regardless of the skill floor. Low skill floor heros aren’t only for beginners, they are for anyone willing to use them as hard counters at the right time. CC? Might be very annoying for players who can’t counter CC heros.

Business. You can’t exclude casual players (the majority) if you want to sell.

When it comes to a community you often hear only a vocal minority. The satisfied ones are often silent. It’d be hard to believe that Blizz are pushing things that no one likes. By doing so they’d have failed long ago instead of being a successful business.

The video basically mentions the following reasons:

1. Different community (more casuals and bad players)
  2. No role queue (the video was probably created before LFG)
  3. Addition of low skill floor heros for casuals

I’d add these:

1. You can’t really avoid casuals in a successful game. If you don’t like them then play the game only at the beginning and at the end of the lifecycle of the game. A game in which you rely on 5 other players might be more vulnerable to bad casuals than some other games.
  2. Now we have LFG. I think it’s quite usable and can yield very good results. Some people want a more casual version of this that puts them into a 2-2-2 solo queue with a selected role without grouping them up with anyone.
  3. In my opinion none of the new heros (low skill floor or not) were added for beginners/casuals/bad-players. They were added as counters. Hero switching and a “balanced” hero-counter graph would complete each other quite well. Reminds me of unit-counters in SC 2.

The fact that someone is streaming doesn’t necessarily mean that he is right or he is the voice of the community. A lot of players engage with other players only inside the game and not through other ways (forum, youtube comments, etc…). For this reason Blizz might have much better idea and stats in some cases.

I’ll kill for vanilla watch.
200 hp tracer, 150 hp zen, old sym that buffed everyone oh and no hero limits, it was fun, they really need to bring back vanilla but just keep mercy as she is now cause mass ress was this games only problem.

2 Likes

Tracer never had 200hp, not even in the beta
I think Genji got a buff on hes HP, 150hp too 200hp but im not sure on that one

1 Like

I would like this too. A playable vanilla copy of the game should already exist as that’s the original product you brought.

1 Like

Nah. The game has gotten a whole lot better than what it was when it started. Dunno why people complain about cc, after playing different mobas and games like WoW, where there is lots of different cc, it just feels natural and is just a thing what you have to work through and use it for your advantage. It gives more space for tactics. If you want purely a aim game, go play CS or cod. But this is just my opinion.

3 Likes

I’d love to play such a game mode, just to be able to play Mercy with her 5-man resurrect. (Yes I am a newbie.)

1 Like

Sym give tracer 50 shield hp(non ulty) zens orb didn’t vanish from his target even when he was on the other side of the map.
2 tracers 2 zens 2 syms was a solid team back in the days. But what I miss the most is picking 4 winstons and 2 lucios and just going banana.

1 Like

you think you want that -> but you really don’t
would say the devs i guess since they said that about wow.

2 Likes

Think they used that term when describing the state of WoW, and it seems the demand for OG Vanilla WoW through other means was the reason why the Blizz devs are releasing it again.

Overwatch quite frankly lacked the content on Day 1 for them to justify having a Vanilla re-release, and in a way it’s still lacking content even into its 3rd year. Ideally I want the devs to take on player feedback in a more constructive way, such as in-game polls for proposed balance changes; not only listening to majority of playerbase, but the active one at that. The closest they had was the weekly random gamemodes (seeing perm. versions of those as presets in custom games would be great), and the rating system for matches, which was later removed.

The last comic was Retributions, and prior to that was the Zarya/Sombra comic for lore. Everything seemed to derail around the announcement of OWL, and remained around that state of lacking content.

3 Likes

i dont want a Call of Duty game i want the game i paid for

1 Like

This thread is so disturbing. Not because of what OP wrote but because of the amount of likes it got. Every game evolves. Keeping Overwatch the same would have killed it a long time ago. I thought everybody who plays games knew that.

2 Likes

21 likes out of millions of players? :smiley: Not that much considering most people on this forum seem to be players who don’t like OW.

There are some players who want OW to be the snapshot of their favourite version (which isn’t 1.0 for everyone).

So naive… :joy:

1 Like