Can we increase the penalty for leavers?

No it cannot. As I said, these things even happen in esport events. No kind of punishment or preparation on player end or even investment from game devs will remove technical issues.

Technical issues will happen to a team mate, it could even be his first. And it will cost you a loss… Unless you let him back in. Best deal you can get out of this really

Oh, so it looks I was doing bad thing. Thanks for telling me this, now I will not report leavers in the future.

I’m not saying that technical issues don’t happen. I’m saying that they happen rarely for most people. The same applies to e-sport events. How often do you see people disconnecting from every match or several times per match on e-sport events?

OK well you want those rare games to end in a loss for you or do you want to let him back in?

If it’s rare enough then I’m fine even with an instant loss without waiting. I go find a good match instead of wasting my time.

lol OK then. I give up. Thought I could get some sense out of you but I was clearly wrong.
You don’t find any good matches BTW you don’t get to choose anything unless perhaps you go in a six stack

I use LFG so I often play in a 6-stack but I’d prefer building a 6-stack from people who don’t have frequent disconnect issues. Currently I don’t have this guarantee.

Understanding my explanation requires only a basic knowledge of probability/statistics. You’ll never convince me that going into a competitive match is a good idea with players who disconnect frequently.

Other teambased games allow for a pause of the game in order to wait for people to come back, and it’s pretty much never an issue. Here’s what I’d do:

1. Someone leaves - game is immediately paused for up to 2 minutes with the hero of the leaver still where they were before.
  2. When they get back within 2 minutes (and actively restart the game in time), they will recieve an adjusted SR change from the match - double the loss, half the gain.
  3. When they don’t get back, the short-manned team gets to choose whether to stay or not (checkbox can appear right on the pause screen - play it out or leave after 2min). People that want to leave get a classical loss, those staying get a chance to try and still win it. Also, they have 2min to discuss amongst each other whether they want to try it. Both teams can use the 2min to talk about strategy, giving a slight benefit to the full team.

It’d solve a lot:
a) People who just get a DC actually have an incentive to come back (not automatic -50 SR).
b) No long game that is doomed if you don’t want to.
c) No automatic loss if you don’t want to.
d) Chance of griefing is minimized - at most you cost the 11 other players 2min of their time while hurting your own SR.
e) Leaver bans would still remain to disincentivize leaving.
f) One DC doesn’t destroy an entire game.

1 Like

yes please.
i’m in high gold (yes in high gold, there are also people like that) and there is a leaver/thrower EVERY SINGLE GAME.
and i’m not talking about the classic “i think he’s throwing cus he’s feeding” or “he left because of lag”. NO. i had 3 games in a row, and someone left 3 mins after the game started (on a payload map) and the game was LITERALLY 20 MINUTES and he didn’t come back. and i recorded that game.
also had an attack bastion that was standing there doing nothing.
blizzard, FIX YOUR GAME.

I knowit’s sort of cliche, but what about people who have to leave because their game bugs out, like mine did, and that I made a post about. There are a lot of legit reasons people have to quit. SO there must be an equalibrium of severity of punishment. For people with reliable computers, strong internet etc: they sometimes overlook the other side of the story. So I think that if more people in this game report, then the penalising system would be fine.

You cannot just ban people for having a life, loads of times I have to go and attend to something else and leave early. What Blizzard should do is bring in replacement players quicker…

Games cannot punish people for having lives.

Then QP seems to be exactly what people with a life need.

That’s an overgeneralisation. A lot of games don’t wait and many of those that wait do so only for a few seconds.

If the game bugs out for you but not for most other players then it’s not the game that bugs out but your machine.

I understand that they probably shouldn’t be playing comp if they know they’re going to leave, but people don’t take QP seriously.

Whenever I don’t have enough time for comp or if I just don’t want to, I play QP and almost every time I get stuck with 5 dps who leave after 1 minute because the enemy team capped point 1.

Those players who think leaving a match (in any game mode) should be OK without punishment don’t take the whole thing seriously so they have no place in competitive. The seriousness of QP matches theirs.

Imagine an athlete saying in the middle of a competition that “sorry guys, I have to leave because I have a life”. It’s unacceptable and can be considered offensive too because it assumes that those who treat the competition seriously have no life.

The same problem (bad team comp) is present in competitive too but QP has other kinds of problems on top of this (like players who think it’s OK to leave at any point). The answer is LFG. In case of QP using LFG in a very casual way is effortless. You just setup a 2-2-2 with locked roles, wait for 5 people to join and you press “Play”. You don’t have to communicate or ask for public profiles and inspect their skills like in case of LFG recruitment for competitive.

Yeah, they definitely shouldn’t be playing comp.

Thanks for the tip!

I know a game when there is a leaver, the A.I activates with the character that was being used by the leaver. Its not the same as having a 6th player, but definetly not a 5vs6.

I think AI doesn’t really have a place in a ranked PvP competitive match because of the manipulation of ranks. Perhaps in a match that doesn’t have an effect on anything (like XP, rank) it would be more acceptable but even in that case: creating an AI that cooperates with humans and can use the hero switch feature (and countering) at a decent level at each rank would be an enormous task. Especially because countering/strategies often needs a composition of several heros, it can’t be decided on a 1v1 basis.

If Blizzard created a good AI then using it in ranked competitive would also be a significant help (just like many other things like no SR loss, etc…) so it would be exploited. Some people would leave on purpose or bully someone in exchange for a good AI. On the other hand a bad AI makes no sense, it isn’t worth the developer time to implement it.

Thanks for keeping it polite, appreciate it! :slight_smile:

But no I didn’t think that would solve anything, but its weird when Blizzard doesn’t want any leavers but they still leave the leave button there.

True. Maybe is not a good idea for overwatch since its full of toxic bullies.