Crash: video_scheduler_internal_error

I use a laptop + an external monitor (connected via HDMI) because the laptop’s screen only has a refresh rate of 60hz, and the external monitor has 144hz. But I get this error(video_scheduler_internal_error) when starting Overwatch, and the system crashes with a blue screen.

This error only occurs in the “second screen only” projection mode. Using “PC screen only” or “Duplicate” mode will start normally. So I had to switch to “Duplicate” mode first, then switch to “Second screen only” mode after starting Overwatch.

This error only occurs when Overwatch is started. It does not occur in other games, so I think it is a bug of Overwatch. And my graphics card driver is the latest version, I also tried to reinstall the graphics card driver, but it didn’t work.

Hey WDNMD!

Without knowing too much about your computer, there’s not a whole lot we can accurately say about your issue here!

However, from the information you’ve given me so far, what’s likely happening is that your laptop isn’t actually able to keep up with the demands you’re putting on it, which is why you’re having bluescreen crashes too! (They indicate a critical system error, either with your Operating System or Hardware)

Think about it this way: Your defaut refresh is 60hz, and you’re asking your graphics card to literally take on double that while also having your normal screen going, and that’s not even accounting for the Pixel density of your second screen which, at a guess, is also going to be greater than your Laptop one.

I’d recommend checking out our support article on Blue Screens here, but ultimately, we can’t offer a fix ourselves.

To TL;DR this: Overwatch isn’t bugged, it’s simply revealing an underlying problem: That you’re asking your laptop to pull more weight than it can handle.

Please reading my feedback, I mentioned:

1. Only Overwatch crashed, other games are very normal
  2. The crash only occurs in the “second screen only” projection mode. I just need to switch to “duplicate” projection mode, start Overwatch, and then switch back to “second screen only” mode to play normally.

Therefore, I don’t think this is a problem of processing power, this is more like a bug for dual-screen. And in “second screen only” mode, the graphics card only needs to render the image of the second screen, and since both screens are 1080P, there are no more pixels to render.

Hello WDNMD,

If you think this is a bug we will appreciate if you report it on the appropriate forum section for the developers to check and make their tests. You can find the Bug Report forum here.

hey I know it has been a long time but I was having the same problem I found that if you turn v-sync off it will let you run it