Devs still asking for us to doxx ourself to play our game?

I asked blizz by submitting a ticket, still no replay after a week. I asked the same question months ago and was told to wait until close to release for info, no info has been shared and blizzard aren’t answering.

So are we still forced to doxx ourself and hand over our personal telephone number to play the game we already own?
I play on console and after my disc turns into a frisbee in a few weeks It would be nice to be able to download and play the game I bought and paid for 6 years ago without having to hand over my personal details to some soulless American conglomerate company. Which of course I will refuse to do anyway.

Stupid thing is, they “say” they want to try and stop smurfs, that is why they want us to doxx ourselves to them, but in reality, simcards and online numbers are free, infinite and easy to obtain that anyone who actually does smurf, well they would be doing that anyway as giving phone numbers in no way stops smurfing.
This is data collection, not smurf protection!

Irony too is with overwatch crappy rank system and it not being reset, I would be higher rank is I actually did smurf as the crappy system never let me climb away from season 1-2 when I just did placements and got 43/50 SR…

Blizzard are a terrible company.
Their games are trash.

I miss Jeff.

Get a spare some card and use that number instead.

Lots of games require a phone number to register an account with. Why is Blizzard a crappy company when they do the same?

Btw I do believe online numbers are blocked from using. But like Prime said, get a spare card if you care that much about your ‘personal’ phone number.

1 Like

Everyone should have more than one simcard. That’s why most new phones allow you to have multiple.

Some now moving to eSims so you’ll in theory be able to have unlimited.

I have never seen any game require me to use a phone number to play. It has been the same for nearly 4 decades, buy game, put in in your hardware, play it. Just as it was with overwatch.
What benefit does it give me the player/customer to doxx myself to some shady company on the other side of the world!

It doesn’t really matter, if I am required to doxx myself I wont play their game and I bet there will be countless people who will do the same.
They are already shutting down the servers for the game I paid for, ripping me off money despite the game not actually being dead, they are killing it and this is after they already marketed the game as being able to play with the sequel.

Blizzard is a shady company, if you give your number to them I wouldn’t be surprised to find it in some list of data collection pots on the darkweb.

Well since I play WoW as well, I gave them my phone number and other information years ago and I’ve never had weird calls/packages/emails or anything.

I really think you’re making way too much out of it. But again if you feel this way that’s totally up to you, I’m just telling you my personal experience with it.

100%

Just think about the amount of information retailers like Amazon and such have on you. Blizzard having a phone number is nothing.