Did you ever wonder why healer and tank role are so unpopular?

TLDR: bring the 2-2-2 lock already. it doesn’t matter if GOATS is dead or not.

Admittedly, tanks are much, much worse than healers in that regard, but even then - why is it people like to lock 3-6 DPS so much?

The answer, as always, is described in the Holy Bible of OW, written by Jeff. You can find it in description of Circles of OW Hell. There are 3 of them.

On first Circle, you are forced to solo-heal your team. You are completely alone, and a sole deciding factor in question of your team survival. Nobody is going to help you. Then, when you think it can’t get more stressful, those… let’s call them “people”, who instalocked 3+ DPS, start to yell at you in voice how they don’t receive enough healing. Then those unfortunate bastards stuck playing tanks join, but you can’t blame them - they are on their own Circle, and you, indeed, can not heal hard enough alone.

At this point, you are done. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose the said game - it will still feel horrible to play, and make you never want to play healer again. Just switch to Doomfist and have fun flying around the map! Or quit the match. **** it. At least you’ll tank those DPS instalockers SR together with yours. Find some minimal comfort in that thought, and, more importantly, ask yourself this question next time you’re considering playing healer and look at 3 DPS instalocks: “Why do I even bother?”

But there are 2 more, deeper and more miserable Circles. Both reserved for tanks, of course - that’s why nobody is playing them, and they are almost always the last role to be picked.

First of those tank Circles is for playing solo tank. Again, you are alone. The moment you die, your entire team falls apart and gets picked like helpless children. Nobody will have your back. Nobody will delay the inevitable if you die. And enemy team knows that, and are out for you blood, and your blood alone.

Again, your team is probably screaming at you how much you suck, and don’t create enough space for their DPS shenanigans. Why are you playing tank for those morons again? You don’t know. You heard Doomfist is more fun though - maybe it’s time to try him.

Third Circle coincides with first - you are playing tank, maybe even 2, but there’s only one healer on your team. I’ll spare you the lyrics, because the post is already long enough - natural reaction in that case is to get annoyed, irritated, scream at your team for objective lack of heals, and feel like never tanking again. Smash that H button, start instalocking DPS like the rest of them, and never think of playing that garbage tank role again.

“Freedom of choice” doesn’t fly anymore. It ALWAYS boils down to DPS instalocks, ruins experience of those who don’t instalock DPS, and make them consider joining the dark side. It needs to go, just like no limits hero selection needed to go back in the day. It always was the problem, and with amount of DPS and CC creep recently introduced, it’s much more of a problem now. Time to fix it. For good.

1 Like

you don’t pick tank or support primarily so other people can have fun, you usually do it for your own victory’s sake.
If there are people on your random team who don’t give a f.ck about winning, you’re screwed anyway - but I’d guess thats a little minority.

lack of options may be part of the problem… they need to add more diverse options for tanking and support…

Also it may also be that this game has such a low age rating which means its full of whiny self centered little brats who dont have the maturity or sense of collective responsibility to pick a role to help the team out…

They would rather pick some easy spammy DPS just to grab the Potg and feel like they are on top of the world and screw everyone else and who cares if it was a victory or not… personal glory! that is the only thing that counts!!! screw everyone else!

then again i tend to blame everything on obnoxious kids…
Young punks get of my lawn!!!

That said i have gone from Mercy main to widow main so maybe i am throwing stones in the glass house here… but yeah some play styles are very satisfying… so again lack of options may be part of it…

the fact that DPS outnumber tanks and support may forever plague the games considering the people that have already settled on their choice of hero…

Forced 222 would be a disaster for the game, it would make the thing you’re complaining about WORSE not better.

If you implement a 222 matchmaker then DPS queue times will go up massively. That means they’ll pick healer or tank… but they won’t actually play those roles properly, they’ll play those heroes as a DPS. Expect to see more Brigitte, more Moira, more Rein, more Hammond. If people want to play DPS it’s actually better that they are able to, because at least then they’re doing their job. The game should add more tanks and healers that can work with multi-dps comps instead of trying to force players to behave a certain way. Hammond works very well with multi dps.

It doesn’t matter if you win or lose the said game - it will still feel horrible to play, and make you never want to play healer again. Just switch to Doomfist and have fun flying around the map! Or quit the match. **** it.

So you’re throwing matches because someone wanted to play Widowmaker that day? You are the problem with Overwatch.

Why are you playing tank for those morons again?

If you deliberately pick a hero that doesn’t synergise with your team then you’re going to suffer, that isn’t their fault, it’s yours. “I picked tank/healer” doesn’t magically make you better than other people.

There’s far more DPS options to play, and the tank/support heroes do take some time to get good at. You can’t just pick up Winston, Zarya and Ana and expect to do great, but you can pick Junkrat as an example, Soldier, etc, and just shoot shoot shoot and try to kill kill kill. Not saying DPS roles are easy, since there are some very high ceiling DPS heroes, but overall it’s much easier to just pick DPS and jump in a game.

We just need more Tanks and Supports, simple as that. The more you give people options, the more they will try them out and eventually main them. Right now the ratio between tanks/supports and DPS is quite far.

1 Like

there is some risk of that but that may also prompt more people to actually put in the time to actually learn to flex and not just one trick…

In the short turn it may be pretty bad but in the long run i think it will be an improvement…

the worst part though is that it removes the flexibility of switching up roles easily…

Hopefully Blizzard will add plenty of new Support and tank characters that people will want to play and learn too.

Where do you people get these ideas from? I just had another person in another thread say 222 is a bad idea because “how do I know my tank team mate is actually good at tank?” :roll_eyes:

it’s like some of you are always looking at the absolute worst possible things that could go wrong, instead of focusing on the big picture and the huge positive changes it will bring.

I mean what you’re suggesting we worry about, just think about it. You’re saying that DPS players who don’t want to wait 4 minutes to queue for 222 DPS roles, will opt for a shorter 2 minute wait, get in to a comp game as a support, and then proceed to play the game as a DPS Mercy instead of healing.

Are you even reading what you’re writing? The types of scum players that would do that are the small toxic minority who don’t care about SR, have multiple accounts, will throw at the first instance of them losing, and much more. Why on earth would you turn your back on 222 which can be so helpful for the majority of us and focus your attention on that small negative group? It makes no sense.

No thanks. As a tank main I’ve been wanting 222 for almost 3 years and I’m not letting these scare-stories sway me at all. 222 will be a great change for this game and those of you worrying about a few trolls here and there, you’re completely missing the point.

2 Likes

Where do you people get these ideas from

This is a rare trait in our community, but I’m actually capable of thinking things through on my own rather than mindlessly following what streamers say.

it’s like some of you are always looking at the absolute worst possible things that could go wrong

This is the obvious direct result of what you’re suggesting, it’s not a mere possibility.

You’re saying that DPS players who don’t want to wait 4 minutes to queue for 222 DPS roles, will opt for a shorter 2 minute wait, get in to a comp game as a support, and then proceed to play the game as a DPS Mercy instead of healing.

Yes. This is something that people already do, and you’re incentivising it further without a single thought to the harm.

The types of scum players that would do that are the small toxic minority

And we should just ignore them because they aren’t the majority? This would still affect MOST of your games, because it only takes 1 player out of 6 doing it.

Why on earth would you turn your back on 222

Because it’s a demonstrably bad idea with NO benefits for the game. This is only the most salient issue, there’s also the fact that it will destroy the core element of the game: hero switching. No more flex players either. And despite people’s constant suggestion that it will “kill goats” it will mandate a team composition for every single match. Does the enemy team have a sniper-heavy comp? Too bad, you can’t pick a third tank because “goats bad”. Just get farmed out of spawn the whole match, you deserve your rank.

As a tank main I’ve been wanting 222 for almost 3 years

I main tank and healer and if they push this through I’m probably not going to play comp or QP anymore. It’s not worth my time to be placed into matches where I have zero control over what happens, that’s not how video games are supposed to work.

I’m not letting these scare-stories sway me at all.

Congrats on being unreasonable, I guess.

I mean think about what you’re saying. You call 222 a “disaster” for this game and the reasoning you use is “there are DPS trolls out there who will pick healer and only play DPS instead of actually healing because they don’t want to wait a couple extra minutes longer so they can actually pick DPS and play”.

Let that sink in for a moment.

You’re dismissing a feature which millions have wanted forever, which we know for a fact works in comp, all because of the above scenario.

That makes no sense at all. And while I’m not denying that the above scenario does happen currently, and will happen with 222, it is a rare occurrence and again, falls in to the TOXIC MINORITY of this community.

Completely negating 222 and calling it a disaster for the above reason makes no sense at all. Sure it will happen, but how often? Every game? Every day? No.

Will it happen sometimes? Sure, whatever, it happens now too. Will it ruin 222 and make it a “disaster”? Most definitely not.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives imo.

It’s only infuriating playing a tank when the DPS can’t kill anything or when the healers don’t heal. Other than that, I enjoy protecting the team

I enjoy playing Mercy because I enjoy supporting the team, but most of all, I enjoy playing her kit. If I didn’t enjoy her kit and I only played her because I needed to, then I wouldn’t play the game.

Overwatch is enjoyable to me because I get to play the hero that I enjoy 99% of the time. It works for me, but if I was in a situation where I was being forced to play heroes that I don’t enjoy, then I wouldn’t play Overwatch.

If you’re a DPS main and you loathe playing Tanks/Supports, but you’re doing so anyway then in my humble opinion, you’re doing it wrong and shouldn’t be playing this game. You should only play what you enjoy. That’s the entire purpose of gaming, to enjoy yourself.

Of course, people will say “Well, I get enjoyment out of winning”, then you need to decide if the joy of winning is worth playing a hero you don’t enjoy. For me, the act of playing Mercy is more important to my overall enjoyment of the game than is winning. I’m not especially competitive, and while I try as hard as I can to win, I’ll do so playing the kit that I enjoy most. I pretty much only switch to Lucio if the situation suits him, and that’s because I enjoy playing Lucios kit too. If I hated Lucios kit, then I wouldn’t want to play him.

There will be many here that don’t agree with that, and say that winning is the most important thing ever, but it’s not, at least not for me. ENJOYMENT is the most important thing ever, and ENJOYMENT doesn’t just come from winning. It comes from a variety of things, chief of which for me is the kit that I’m playing.

2 Likes

If someone instalocks DPS I’m honestly fine with it – it used to bother me much more than it currently does. If you feel comfortable with a certain hero & are having fun playing it go for it.

But as I stated in another thread I can’t understand people not even joining voice channel – Calling out enemies, ults &c can be bit frustrating when no one is listening or can’t even hear you.

1 Like

Well i play very unpopular heros… eg bastion, mei , sym ,torb… yes he is still unpopular…

And if i join VC the instant we fail a push or something goes wrong i get flamed over VC by 12yos and angrys russians… and sorry but i play better without the aggro…

I play the game to have fun… those are the heros i find fun… i dont care if they are unpopular or even viable… thats a balance problem which is blizzards problem…

Thats why i dont join VC too much aggro for very little pay off

That’s my take on 2-2-2 as well: there are certainly drawbacks, but the benefits outweigh those by far. Yes, there will be people picking DPS Moira’s or yolo charge Reins, and what if the two healers are Zen and Brigitte, or what if you wanted to switch roles in the middle of a game?

But this, so much this:

I couldn’t have said it better. I mean, mentioning drawbacks is one thing, it might help to be aware and maybe find fixes for them later… But, and that’s the thing, those drawbacks I mentioned above, WE HAVE THOSE RIGHT NOW AS WELL. At this very moment, there are also DPS Moira’s and Reins who seem to have their right-click bound to charge rather than shield. There are now still people who think Brigitte and Lucio are main healers because “yo I have gold healing noob”.

2-2-2 isn’t a magical cure for everything that goes wrong in OW competitive, but it’s a good band-aid.

EDIT: By the way, very interesting video about 2-2-2:

The entire video is interesting to watch, but I do want to point to the streamer at 11:45, who sums up entirely what The18thFret and me are trying to say :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just always assumed that it’s because most players find that the options for tanking and healing are boring.

While some enjoy playing heroes like Mercy, Moira, Orissa… I absolutely hate it. I feel like there’s little to no improvement to be made.
Very low skill-ceiling and a lot of the times when I win or lose a game I don’t feel like I deserved it. I was just kinda there doing what my hero does.
(No offense)

Whereas if I play a high skill-ceiling hero and I do very well I feel good about it.
Likewise, if I perform very poorly it’s easy for me to know what I did wrong and what I need to get better at and I’m motivated to improve.

In short, whatever hero or role I play I want there to be lots of depth to the gameplay, skills to be honed with lots of potential for both greatness and failure, and I want to FEEL the impact I’m having on the game.
I don’t get that with many of the Tanks and Healers.

I think Blizzard failed at the tanking and healing role in this game as it seems to only appeal to a minority of players who actually enjoy it and those who don’t but value winning over playing something that’s fun to them.

As far as the 2-2-2 lock goes… I mean, sure. It’s probably going to be better for the game.
I don’t mind longer queues if it means better games.
But I hope that you’ll be able to switch roles between your teammates or at the very least between pre-mades.

I’ve had plenty of success with others setups than 2-2-2 though and it’d be sad to be so very limited to what you can play.

:clap::clap::clap: well said.

Also I couldn’t agree more with this statement the streamer made…

“222 DOESN’T HAVE TO BE PERFECT, IT JUST HAS TO BE BETTER”.

Exactly!!!

As opposed to right now? We get dps mains in overflow and people have to take the roles of support or tank unwillingly. Wouldn’t it just be better to have people know what role they’re gonna play before even pressing the queue button?