Disappointing (New Event Feedback)

OK so let me just say that I don’t want this to be a post only dumping on the game. There are many aspects of the game I still enjoy, but this is getting a bit much now.

The new mission is a flop for me. We start with an OK cinematic, which basically got released on twitter before hand. Whatever, guess we still have the game play right? Recycled all the old enemies from the last event, and the map is SO SHORT. When playing a very high mobility team comp you need to be able to fill the void, this doesn’t do that.

The game mode feels like a brisk walk as apposed to the 2 full missions we had for the last two events. It feels empty and lifeless. Enemies spawn in a cloud of smoke right in front of you, which I personally find to be very immersion breaking. Everything but the ending made me unfulfilled. All 3 of my party said at the end “Wait, thats it?” It feels like a walk through a new map with some enemy spawns thrown in, nothing more.

What makes the feel worse is the void of content we have had since this same event last year. Apart from cosmetics and 2 - 3 new hero’s, the game has been heavily lacking in content. The events and gamemodes have been recycled over and over again and it is butchering players love for the game. I want to clarify I am grateful we got something new, but Blizzard set a bar with their past events. A bar that as of this event has now been dropped.

I feel like this is going to be the last straw for a lot of people. It’s a shame that the Overwatch team has managed to sink so low.

6 Likes

There certainly valid points in your post, but “nothing new apart from 3 new heroes, many cosmetics and 3 new maps (+ Petra DM)” in the last year just seems like an empty complaint. I think that I play more than the median player does and there are times when I fail to fully keep up. For example I couldn’t tell you where all the mega health packs on Paris are, showing that - realistically - most of us haven’t learned the newest map to its fullest extent and we will soon get the next one. A friend of mine hasn’t been able to play in the last half year or so, when faced with what he’s missed, he’s already overwhelmed and unsure whether or not he’d want to come back.

2 Likes

both posts are valid, but overwatch is one of the only games i play, and i play it very regularly. I also feel like there isn’t enough content - but not in the form of heroes or maps.

There needs to be major game layout changes (and balancing) plus more arcade game modes (not just for events)
also a fix of the report system, plus filters, skins people want etc
also for blizzard to listen to the community a bit more
also some animated shorts (and other similar features)

Overwatch has so much potential, but blizzard just need to put more effort into this dying game

I think almost all the community will agree with you on your critique over the new event, I myself is disappointed, especially because I was waiting for this event so eagerly, I enjoyed the difficulty of last similar events, and was really rallied up to get all the new achievements. Wasn’t really expecting OverwatchBlizz to make things like that.

personally i think it would make more sense if they segregated out the plot driven stuff into a separate game and did it properly…

like a pure single player overwatch2 with regular overwatch still being the main online game…

that way they could copy a lot of the stuff for reuse while doing thing in the single player version that did not have to effect the main game…

that way maybe they could have bigger more complex levels…
Because yeah this is not all that much… but that is true for all the events really…

a pure single player game would be better i think…
i still want them to copy a lot of the code so every hero plays more or less the same way… balancing probably wont be an issue after all so no worry about keeping it perfectly synced)

Thing is, company’s that have half the budget of Overwatch Blizzard have produced more hero’s, maps and content. I play nearly everyday, and as I stated I think this is such a good game. It has that Blizzard polish that leaves near all characters feeling fun, or if buggy feeling good to control with solid animations and gameplay mechanics.

I don’t think that memorising every tiny details on a map constitutes as “content” I am finding that they really are losing more and more content and polish as the years are going on. My main point being they were nailing it, with new content, new heros, updating actively, communicating with the community. This is evidently starting to fail.

If its a funding issue, then they need to adjust the loot system. Maybe add a pass system. I cant claim to know everything but they are really starting to lose very large chunks of their player base.

Not saying that memorizing a map is the content, I’m saying that if an avid player still has some issues with certain maps or certain heroes, it means that the average player will have even bigger ones. Adding more than 3 heroes and maps per year would simply be too much for most people to handle. We can already see those with people complaining about Paris, they mostly just show that they don’t know the map really well and call it a reskin or bad design. It’s too much content and people think that this means it’s too little.

And as for the heroes: apart from Ashe, who is just a boring sniper-reskin, every single new hero since launch was unique, well polished and just a unit - character, abilities, feel, animations etc - they were handcrafted. Yes, Paladins has a lot of stuff, and I tried that as well, but that game feels like someone just stichted some stuff together without much thought what fits.