Dividing heroes into more categories

Heard this idea in a stream yesterday, and I thought it was wonderful. In short, you would just divide the already existing roles into 2 each, like this:

Main tank: Orisa, Reinhardt, Sigma, Winston, Wrecking Ball

Off tank: D.Va, Roadhog, Zarya

Hitscan DPS: Ashe, Bastion, McCree, Reaper, Soldier: 76, Sombra, Tracer, Widowmaker

Projectile DPS: Doomfist, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, Mei, Pharah, Symmetra, Torbjörn

Main support: Baptiste, Lúcio, Mercy

Off/flex support: Ana, Brigitte, Moira, Zenyatta

I wouldn’t immediately divide the DPS role due to DPS players already having long queues, and I don’t think dividing supports would actually do anything huge, but the main point here is tanks.

Right now, double barrier is meta, and fights are A LOT longer. I think dividing the tanks into Main and Off roles would massively affect how enjoyable the fights are.

Your thoughts?

I’ve also heard this suggestion before on the forums. The thing is, even if we split up the tanks in to mains and offs, the same ratio remains between DPS players and tanks/supports. So while I’m a Zarya main and I would queue for off tank role and get in fast, it wouldn’t help me if I’m queuing for DPS because the same number of DPS players are still in the pool.

Ultimately I feel like this comes down to the imbalance between the roles. There’s roughly 3 times more DPS heroes and there’s just no easy way around that.

This is why i always said that role Q would work better as an option and not forced. Let those of us who prefer role Q (ie; me) wait 5 minutes for DPS, I honestly don’t mind because I had 3 years of flex comp experience and it sucked to find every other game with no main tank or no two healers, so for people like me 5 mins wait for stable games is alright.

And those who don’t enjoy role q, or just want the freedom to flex on the fly and get in to games fast (with the risk of the shortcoming I mentioned above) can just play comp without role q.

And then introduce 1+1+1+1+1+1 queue

1 Like

easly fixed. putting some popular dps like mei, torb or junkrat in other categories would make their main chose another category beside dps.

i said the exact same thing dude

I can’t envision them putting DPS heroes like Mei and Torb in to tank or support since that would entail a character rework for them which I doubt they will do just for this longer queue time reason alone. What other solutions are there?

i just made a topic about this, read it and tell me what you think about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t like this idea you might as well ask blizzard what character to play if you keep narrowing down the choices in game. Keep it at Tanks-Dps-Supports. I know the queue time for DPS is insane but this isn’t the solution.

did you read my topic? i clearly explained that this would broaden the choice, not make them stricter

dunno if i can link it (correct me if i can’t please :slight_smile: ) but it’s this one We need to do something about role lock

I was replying to original post. But More to your point you still narrow down your choice if you pick one of your options, you lack the freedom to pick any other DPS that’s not in that category, it sounds more like basic training for finding your hero. I like changing it up in game to counter the opposition restricting that makes it less fun

well, to be fair, the idea requires more heroes (removing the defense category and cramming everything in DPS didn’t help) and more balancing but, if worked on by the actual developers, should put the game in a comfy middle ground for both sides of the argument.
as i stated in the post the tank/support hybrid class only includes brig because there are literally no more tanks and supports to put there.
As for the freedom to pick any dps, i noticed that’s not a thing. wether people only pick what i listed as “true dps” (soldier, tracer, reaper and the snipers) or pick something like torbjorn and symmetra, basically i’ve never seen someone who went from hanzo to junkrat and vice versa.
Dividing them into subcategories accessible by selecting support or tank would, in turn, have those who choose “true dps” have a shorter queue and given that you can pick the role you choose and BOTH the hybrids cointained within (if you pick dps you can use ALL heroes contained in the tank/dps hybrid and support/dps hybrid, meaning someone who plays hanzo can pick ana and then switch to widow on the fly), DPS players wouldn’t even notice this change, while supports and tanks would feel better because they could switch to something else if the situation requires it.
Maybe i didn’t explain the idea right? should i go and edit the post? :confused:

1 Like