Endorsement Levels and Friends

Hey there everyone!

I’ve been playing Overwatch for quite some time and enjoying a majority of the games I’ve been in. I try to keep stress out of my life as much as possible and my philosophy on toxicity is simple; everyone has bad days and misery loves company. I don’t know what these individuals are going through but I give them the benefit of the doubt and remind everyone that we are all here to escape real life and have fun.

Due to the aforementioned, I’ve gained and maintained an endorsement level of 5 for a significant amount of my time playing but, more recently, it has repeatedly gone down to 4.

This may be a bit nitpicky, but I’ve recently met a group of people that I genuinely enjoy playing with. Friendships have formed from my time in participating in Overwatch and I deeply enjoy it. However, my endorsement level occasionally suffers due to this.

I find that since I have a group that I enjoy playing with that my endorsement level has continually dropped, forcing me to separate from my friends to play solo and get endorsements that way in order to keep my Endorsement level 5.

It makes me feel like I have to play a system of rewards, a system to say that “I’m being a nice person” rather than knowing I’m a nice person. The friends I have gained from playing this game has also noticed how I randomly disappear when this happens.

Is there a way to fix this? Allowing friends to endorse (I understand how Blizzard thinks that this can be abused)? Making rewards not based on endorsements? I’m not certain on how to handle this feeling, to be honest.

Does anyone else feel that endorsements aren’t having the effect that Blizzard wishes, that it feels more like a system to gain a small amount of XP and Loot Boxes every two weeks, or does it feel more like we have to separate from our friends and groups to acknowledge that we are not part of the toxicity…

Sorry if that got a bit weird at the end, it’s just how I’m feeling about the game right now, I hope you all still have fun with the game and enjoy all the fun that comes with it!

4 Likes

There is a way. Just forget about endorsement levels. It’s mean nothing at all.

5 Likes

Hi,

I think you should lean more towards playing with your friends in group than trying to maintain level 5.

I do have endorsement level 5 for a long time now, maybe dropped once to level 4, but I’m maintaining that level due to solo Q-ing often.

Only difference it makes is some extra loot boxes every few weeks and if you use LFG, otherwise its pretty pointless.

Once you reach silver border portrait you’ll get a lot of duplicates from boxes and your gold count will go up, so the question is what’s more important to you (hunting level 5 or playing with friends).

High endorsement level is not a guarantee that player is not toxic, met a lot toxic players with level 4 some even had level 5 endorsement, but as you said

so who knows if they are often toxic or it was just a day off.

You can reach and maintain level 5 if you want to grind solo Q often, to reach some kind of buffer on endorsements to maintain it while not getting new ones.

Also difference is that when it went live everyone was endorsing, now its not that case, I can go few games without a received endorsement, but I do endorse others.

In link you can read about endorsements, its not official nor is forum MVP their employee (txt in green).

True. There is this really, really toxic, destructive and ill-informed person that’s often on the forums and he also appears to have endorsement level 3…

The way to fix endorsements would be to evaluate the average endorsements you’d get - from team mates and opponents - and judge people by how they compare to the average.
This would obviously include the amount of endorsements you could potentially get - being in a team, happening to play with people you got endorsed by, etc. It would also factor in that when you play 3v3 elim, you are almost guranteed to get 2 endorsements, often 3 or 4 (which some people have actually used to farm endorsement level 3). At the same time, Mystery Heroes (which didn’t have endorsements in the past) discourages endorsing because you can’t possibly remember who that Ana was that did so well. But then again, Blizzard has completely destroyed Mystery Heroes, so they don’t care about the mode either way.

Bottom line:
Figure out from all the data, how likely it is for people to endorse opponents, how likely it is to endorse team mates - in every mode. So say the average is 1.5 team mate endorsements per game and 0.6 opponent endorsements. That means that in an open game (no previous endorsements, no friends) that every team mate will give you an average of 0.3 endorsements, every opponent will give you an average of 0.1 endorsements for a total average of receiving 0.3 * 5 + 0.1 * 6 = 2.1 endorsements per game (in reality it’s probably less). Your endorsement level will depend on whether you’re above or below the average.
Likewise in 3v3 elim mode, you will get 0.9 Es per team mate and 0.2 Es per opponent, so 2.4 average.

Had a level 5 Reinhardt hard throwing in QP, so yeah I’m gonna hard agree with that.

I didn’t know people cared that much about endorsements. It feels good to get a few after a game where you played well but I couldn’t care less about the actual number next to my rank.

I don’t think friends should be allowed to endorse you . I mean c’mon they are your friends, they already know you are a nice person (at least to them). What I think Blizz should do is stop the decay when playing with friends in a 6 stack.
Anyway people nowdays don’t care that much about the endorsment lvl`s anymore , it’s mostly meaningless.