Endorsements punish non-toxic players

I’ve been at endorsement level 5 since approximately last July, when I had been playing the game for about a month or so. Back then, I felt that even though it didn’t have any real or meaningful reward, the psychological effect was positive: it was making people think a bit more before being toxic or unhelpful, reminding them in a way.

In the meantime, I’ve played a lot more and had time to consider it again. Tonight, I dropped to endorsement level 4 for a few hours, for the first time since back then. I got back to 5 but it just solidified how I’ve felt about the endorsement system for a while now.

It felt incredibly punishing to have level 5 taken away. I did leave some games because people where being horrible to me. I play support/tank mostly, so even though most of the time people are ok, there’s times and days where people are very often hostile and look to blame someone else, which is of course the healer (“If I died, it must be because I wasn’t getting healed!”). Over time I’ve decided to just play with match and team chat muted when in quickplay because I’ve grown tired of it.

The fact is, most players and especially the toxic and unhelpful ones, don’t care about endorsements at all. They don’t care to give them or get them. Nobody cares about the number next to someone’s hero avatar. Over time, everyone’s realised it really doesn’t represent anything. I’ve seen wonderful people who are at level 2 and 3 (which is the average) and toxic and unhelpful people at level 4 and even 5. You’d expect people in groups would endorse more since they can’t endorse each other more than once but they endorse less. Nobody cares anymore.

It doesn’t give us better matchmaking because it’d hurt queues and would just group people who don’t play much (or play with groups) with the toxic players, punishing everyone except the toxic players. It doesn’t reward us with cosmetics or credits (getting 4 lootboxes every few weeks at level 5 is practically negligible) because then people would just farm it apparently and that’s not what the system is intended for.

So what does it do? The only people who care about endorsements are those who are going to be non-toxic and helpful anyway. The effect it has on us is to make us feel punished for not being way above average in behaviour all the time, even when we’re being treated like trash. The rest of the time we just can’t play dps because: there’s always 4-5 dps on the team, especially in quickplay, and because we feel obligated to fill in or face the threat of being punished by losing endorsement level.

I don’t feel rewarded by this system, I feel punished and trapped by it. I feel it just puts even more responsibility on my shoulders than I deserve. Everyone else around me seems to just be having fun, playing anything they want, saying anything they want, doing anything they want but me, the person who does care about this awful system and being helpful, I have to constantly worry about how to fill in, how to be helpful, how to keep things fair and positive etc.

It’s a failure. It can’t be fixed to reward more for reasons I mentioned before (makes it a farm or matchmaking punishment) and if it rewards nothing, nobody cares except the people who’s behaviour it doesn’t change in the intended way. It doesn’t give toxic players something to gain if they’re not toxic, it only gives non-toxic players something to lose. It’s punishment.

2 Likes

The system also doesn’t care about endorsements, since its not designed in a way to keep endorsements consistent. For example, if you only 6-stack with your FRIENDS, you cannot endorse each other (since you cannot endorse friends) and all of your endorsement levels come down. It also counts canceled matches against matches you didn’t get endorsements from.

Endorsements are just silly fluff that doesn’t truly affect anything. If it did, they would have to redesign the system.

You want fast easy endorsements? Go play QP and pick support, bonus points when its during an event cause everyone will try to endorse(free exp).

Btw high ranking players like GMs, the ones who really matter, don’t give a single thought about endorsements. Make of that what you will.

Making xp an incentive for endorsement instead of players actions was the wrong choice from blizzard, I was quite surprised that someone even thought it’s a good idea to hand out xp for endorsing someone, instantly lost all value.

Imo endorsements aren’t suppose to be given every single match to max number of players that you can give them to, but on occasions when someone made an impression on you, either through gameplay or communication. Not another xp farm method, baffling that someone thought that was a good idea and someone else actually agreed.

1 Like

Endorsements were always absolute crap. It was never a system that they thought through properly. There are no meaningful rewards. The ONLY thing people ever got from the stupid endorsement system was a “Wow, a level 5!” for about 1 month after it launched, and then a load of crappy loot boxes that everyone else is drowning in because most of the skins are terrible (Hi Lunar New Year vomit!)

There’s no special player icon, no special gun skin, no special hero skins, no special emote, no special anything. The ONLY THING THEY DID was give people a TINY GREY CIRCLE with a different number in.

Endorsements were poorly designed, poorly implemented and left to die–much like OW outside of OWL.

Jeff: “Sorry, you’re being too toxic for us to create content!”
Also Jeff: “PSYCHE! Check out all this OWL SH*T!”