How about 7v7 Overwatch?

The devs are currently experimenting with 3-2-1 if I heard correctly. I think it’s a terrible idea because all the weight will come down on the tank player. And I think the forums are full of those arguments.

However, what about 2-3-2? So basically 7 vs 7. Back in the day the OW dev’s decided on 6v6 because it felt balanced impact wise. However those where the days when you could go 2 or more of the same hero.

However times changed and hero’s have certain roles nowadays, especially DPS hero’s. Some DPS hero’s like Bastion, Sombra and Mei are/used to be really niece hero’s you only pick in certain conditions.

I think 7v7 won’t just fix the whole DPS queue time problem, but it also pushes niece hero’s into the picture. If you have the 7th DPS slot for a niece hero it means nieces can exist better.

I understand 7v7 has a lot of drawbacks as well. Like individual skill won’t matter that much as before. But I think this idea at least could be tested out and see if it’s viable.

What do you think?

Sorry English is not my native language.

2 Likes

That’s too many people. If anything it would be 5v5 like most games, but that doesn’t work either. The game would be crowded and fights would take longer.

The simple fact is that locking the roles makes the game worse. It was originally designed around flexibility. Forcing players into one role for an entire match completely prevents any adaptation of strategy, it raises queue times trying to make “perfect” teams, and it fails when neither of your dps can play hitscan or you get two off-tanks.

I mean, what are they even going to do with off-tanks? That’s three heroes that we’ll never see again; four if you count Hammond. Just Reinhardt, Orisa, Sigma and Winston to choose from. Not having a barrier is a death sentence most of the time, in fact you need two after the tank nerf.

Just remove role lock entirely, it doesn’t work.

The whole situation sucks, because blizzrd force these things on us instead of making it an option. If they had made role q a tick box option, both above QP and comp, we would have none of these issues, wouldn’t need QPC, et.

Those who wanted the added benefit of a 222 team structure could queue longer for role q and those of us that want to just play vanilla, the way it was would do so too.

Typical blizzard force their vision of how game should be played on us and this is the result. As for OWL, they could do that however they please, 99% of us really don’t even care. Make it role q, vanilla, both, it’s literally irrelevant to the larger playerbase.

I also don’t think 1-3-2 or 7 vs 7 is the solution. They really should just revert and admit they make mistakes too. It would get them a lot more respect from the community and show that they are listening and can admit when something doesn’t go to plan.

Oh, and games are still being cancelled in comp, instead of them simply finding a fill. 12 min DPS queue for nothing, daily. And it’s been almost 4 years.

Sadly I feel like nothing much will change until OW2 comes out and then sadly that will also continue role q in some form or another.

1 Like

They’ve specifically stated 7v7 won’t happen

Optional queue would be dumb and never work. It didn’t work for lfg which was essentially optional and would not have stopped goats.

You want to play vanilla? Play the arcade mode where you can all pick the same character.

you want non-role lockedqp? Qpc is right there.

typical players who just want other players to listen to them.

Role e is overall positive with the larger playerbase as confirmed by blizzard and essentially every poll done.

if they reverted, support and tank players would play less.

role q has nothing to do with cancelled games, non-point.

The main problem there are “map limitations”. Since even in chokepoints, more than 2-3 heroes are already “an issue”, imagine with seven.

I think they should move “Caps” on hero numbers, like for example leaving the DPS cap at 3 and let the players decide if they want to play 222 or 132 for example. That would leave the game with OPTIONS, which is great.

I am guessing that slot would be only for a player that has the same rank and 200 SR up or down in Tank and DPS. It would introduce some issues with matchmaking too. They might just end up making up 2 queues for competitive, one where you select your role on first come first serve or just with limited slots, like in the OW2 demo and thats it. People would queue with their “average” SR and some roles would be locked if a certain role SR is too much or too low (like before queueing).

actually a good idea, even if I’d set the cap to 4.

Game was never designed for 4 dps, or even 3, which they’ve stated doesn’t work.

They said that ages ago, I believe during the closed beta. Things have changed.

Jeff kaplan said it the other day, things have not changed

I hope you know I don’t actually read your responses any more. Just letting you know.

Feel free to keep replying to my posts though.

Well you clearly have been reading his responses.

It’s sad that you get called out and mute somebody because you don’t have an actual response.

Jeff said that the engine is highly optimized for 12 players. Adapting it to 14 would take a lot of development, which (I think) Actiblizz isn’t willing to spend. Apart from that, it would also mean that OWL teams have to pay more players, which the investors would probably not like (IMO, Jeff didn’t say that)

Personally, I think 2-3-2 would be much more fun and closer to what makes OW different than CoD than 1-3-2, but it won’t happen. 1-3-2 also probably will not happen (at least any time soon)

Blizzard: 7 v 7 is impossible :slight_smile:

Also Blizzard: Ashe’s Ultimate is B.O.B. It’s like having a whole extra player on your team! He can contest the point and everything! :upside_down_face:

Having an AI they’ve purposefully coded in to do limited things is not the same as having to deal with an extra two real people.

Your point is therefore rendered null.

They also didn’t say impossible, they said expensive and something they’re not looking to do

That’s lovely, clearly you do or else you wouldn’t be responding now.

feel free to continue having 0 argument

How about dps players get over themselves already and play more tank and support?

Alternatively play qpc

2 Likes

I would but I can’t. Since rq you can’t freely swap into tank anymore.
Locking myself into that for a whole match with no way out is too harsh.

Then play qpc or suffer the queue times that people like you cause :slight_smile:

2 Likes

even better, I don’t play OW at all.