How to win in competitive, broken matchmaking

Ok so I started playing after long break, about a year, again in competitive.

Started at 2100, climbed to 2400 previous season.
This season I was around 2400 climbed to 2600 and went to confirm my theory once more.

So how to easily climb?
Don’t play more than 2 wins daily.

The moment i try to play more is the moment lose streak comes in. No matter what I do, no matter how calm I am.

Same thing happened a year ago. Im not tilted nor Im playing worse than before. Now I dont care about mmr anymore but figured out someone might wanna use this tip.

Oh and forgot one thing. It looks like matchmaking is placing you with the same lost/won per day people. Meaning if you get lucky and win 2 first games, you will be placed with people that didn’t lost either. This is where you might encounter smurfs. And the moment you start loosing, you will be placed with people who lost the same amount of matches and chances are, they will be tilted already.

We never want to take responsibility for our losses. It’s the algorithm, or the Widow, or the Sombra. If we don’t walk away from each loss with something to fix in our own gameplay, we’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

Not sure if you read the post fully but i didn’t really lose with this method. Its simply safer.

So you only conduced this experiment once?

1 Like

One way to win is also by improving your actual skill. It’s a bit hard to know what to improve since the game basically gives zero feedback but aim practice can take you pretty far, no matter what role you play.

Multiple times, each time i played more than 2 games i went down by -300, then i climbed back again using this method.

And I remember it was exactly the same year ago.

I also check using different roles

How many times? And if you are stuck sitting at the same rank maybe this is where you belong. Its not like you are supposed to climb indefinitely.

Oh im not stuck anywhere. I know i play better than most at ~2500. Highest was around 3000 but that was like in first couple of seasons so maybe 2 years ago?

Anyways try it yourself. Rules are simple, maximum 6 games, if all are loses, give up. Stop the moment you win 2nd game.

I’ve played long enough to know the amount of games played means absolutely nothing, it is all about mentality. If you are frustrated you will lose more, its that simple. There is no system which measures your wins and tries to even them out with losses.

Try it, you will see. Matchmaking definitely isn’t as simple system as you think it is.

Oh and one more rule, don’t play after 01:00.

Also, always cancel if the matchmaker searches for too long. And make sure to wait a bit after each win so the potential throwers the game prepares for you join up another game. And be aware of black cats.

Whatever dude, you don’t need to believe anything and I’m not going to force you. Happened almost every time for me.

Its called common sense. You are proposing that the matchmaker not only works normally but also has certain clauses for certain players who fulfill certain conditions and thus puts them into certain situations that are not normal. Its way waaaaaay too much work for no visible returns. Blizzard investing this much to make you lose? I wish I was that important.

No it’s really simple and you did not understood what I wrote.
Aside from matching you with people at similar MMR it also tries to match you against people with similar win/loose streak.

So it is matching you against people who have the same win streaks as you and you cant beat them. Wooowie, if only the system matched you against players weaker than you it’d be so much easier to climb.

Of my 15 placements, 8 had players throwing. All 8 situations were on my team, all 8 resulted in losses. Of the remaining 7 matches would you like to know how many were losses? Zero.

Now maybe you think that it’s still somehow my fault, the two players arguing before the match even started were my fault, the sombra using EMP 1v6 and hiding for the rest of the match was my fault… I really don’t think so, sorry. I don’t claim to be a flawless player, but you can’t really expect me to take responsibility for the actions of others. You can’t really expect me to “pull myself up by my bootstraps”.

Blaming the victim isn’t a good idea.

If the system is not to blame for this poor result then it is nothing but freak luck and it will fix itself the more games are played. It is not a problem and even if it was it cannot be fixed in any way.

Aren’t randomly match-made games notorious for having algorithms and designs to pull players closer to the 50% win rate margin intentionally, so that players play more games rather than streaking straight to their skill bracket? I thought we knew about this years ago.

Thats exactly it… people seem to think the match maker matches you so that both teams have a 50-50% chance of winning… this is not the case

The real way the match maker works is it intentionally creates wonky and lopsided matches in order to bring every players win-loss ratio to as close as 50% as possible so that only genuinly highly skilled players can carry their way out of it

Ergo the more you win… the harder and harder your matches will get untill there is nothing you can do but lose and you will get the same level of difficulty again and again losing more and more untill your win loss ratio is back to 50%

Im even convinced that the game fundamentally changes to ensure a loss… e.g loosening the hitboxes making you slightly easier to hit… or increasing the amount of damage you take to make you easier to kill… or purposfully not refistering your hits so enemys can get away… not drastically but just enough to make it so much more difficult for you to win

Of course none of this can be proved because its adjusted on the fly so as to remain undetected and blizzard would never admit it because lets be honest they dont tell us anything

I have gone through entire seasons with something along the lines of 46-47% win rate. We are talking about hundreds of games yet the system never tried to push me to 50%.