I started tracking sr loss and gains, and i'm confused

i have recently been rather confused, i have sustained a 57 percent win rate this season and i have not gone up in sr. I was rather confused and I started tracking how much sr i gain or lose per win or loss and the results shocked me a bit.
on average i am winning around 23 sr per win but I am losing roughly 27 for each loss
The amount I win and lose per game doesn’t seem to corelate to stats in game, one game i would play well get your gold medals and stuff that doesn’t matter and get a loss and i would receive my -27, but another i could play badly and scrape a win somehow and be rewarded with 25 sr (which is high for me for a win)
I have found one exception to this rule thought and believe it or not it is torb. No lie i get 27 for a win and -23 for a loss when i play torb.
Can someone enlighten me on how sr gains or losses are calculated because unless if i one trick torb (triggering countless teamates and no doubt driving down my win/ loss ratio), I cannot climb when I am winning. And personally, the only thing that makes me keep playing this game is the competitive grind and knowing that it is pretty much pointless right now (plus 15 minute dps queue times) is just making me play other things which I do not want to do as my favorite game is OW.

1 Like

The more games you play the harder it is to move from your rank. This parameter seems to be a static parameter I’m afraid. Only solution is to buy the game again.

i have sustained a 57 percent win rate

Well I have a zero percent win rate on tank this season, so I’m sure you’ll survive.

The amount I win and lose per game doesn’t seem to corelate to stats in game

The game counts something called “performance”. It’s not based on stats per se, it’s more complicated. Basically it’s comparing you with other players on the same hero and seeing if you “do more” with them in the same amount of time.

your gold medals and stuff that doesn’t matter

Medals only mean you were the best on your team at that thing, but you aren’t being compared to them.

I have found one exception to this rule thought and believe it or not it is torb. No lie i get 27 for a win and -23 for a loss when i play torb.

Certain heroes will be easier to perform better on, because each hero is different. Not sure why it would be Torbjorn, but I haven’t tested every hero. My season 17 stats had an average of +24.75/-23.00, but I don’t know what I do differently.

I cannot climb when I am winning.

The simple answer is “perform better”. What does that mean? No idea, but take note of what you did in games where you got slightly more SR (or less on a loss). Try to reduce down time when you aren’t doing anything. Swap heroes if you’re not getting a lot done.

the only thing that makes me keep playing this game is the competitive grind

May Jeff have mercy on your soul.

This makes sense and all but what if you’re a shotcaller or a rein main or something along them lines where performance cannot be measured by stats? would the game just punish you and reward the ‘press shift at every opportunity’ reins?

If your shot-calling is good you’ll win more games, and more wins means your SR will go up faster whether you perform well or not.

You have to take into account two things about SR:

1. The raw amount is based on you.
  2. Whether it’s positive or negative is based on your whole team.

If you perform badly but win 60% of matches your SR is probably going to go up. If you perform well but only win 45% then your matches it’s ALSO probably going to go up. Either one works in theory.

The simple fact is that we don’t know exactly what contributes to the calculation, but we can guess that some combination of in-game statistics (not just the 5 medal stats) is being used. Think about it like the On Fire meter, the better you’re doing the higher it goes. Obviously winning is what really matters, and players should always prioritise wins over performance if they want to climb: (ie. picking a good counter hero rather than just the hero they’re best at in a given role). For instance being a great Widowmaker might not be useful against a highly mobile enemy, whereas picking Mei will shut them down hard.

One thing I didn’t mention is that gain and loss is also affected by how much stronger/weaker the enemy team was compared to you. Beating a much stronger team gets you more SR, and beating a weaker team gives you less. But you can’t control who you’re up against.