I'm not done with this game, but i'm very close to it

I get it, I’m not the first to make a post like this so it’s going to get ignored, I just need to vent.

Blizz why did you have to go and make the game competetive? Remember in 2016 when everyone loved the game for how casual it was. There were obvious balance issues and nobody knew what the f*ck was going on. Don’t get me wrong I appreciate comp for two things. 1) It separated the players who wanted to keep it casual from the players who wanted to tryhard. 2) It started the real balance changes.

Shouldn’t need to be said that I exclusively play qp (and since the addition of role queue, qp classic)

About a year later point 1 was irrelevant. Now everyone was trying their balls off in quickplay to the extent of not having fun themselves and actively bringing the experience down for the people who just want a good time. I, personally always have and always will, play to have fun rather than to win. Because what’s the point of playing a game if you don’t have fun.

Coming from tf2 and maining the demoknight since he was given the eyelander I wanted to see if there was anything similar when I first played overwatch. And I found Reinhardt. Over the years I’ve become pretty decent at Reinhardt. Not in the way that you see everyone else doing where they hold a shield up all the time and absorb damage into the big blue rectangle, no, I’ve become good at 1v6ing with reinhardt and using the barrier to block important shots. And that to me is fun. I adore the melee system in this game, especially compared to tf2 (that system sucks, you can only hit one person no matter how large your melee weapon is so what it does is scan for a target and hits the first one it connects with, which can even be your own teammate, so the game counts a melee hit on your teammate but because they’re a teammate it does no damage and is a useless swing. Doesn’t stop me charging in like a maniac though.) It makes me disappointed that there isn’t a full melee dps yet (doomfist doesn’t count given his primary)
Reinhardt has always struck me as a hero who you should not get close to under any circumstances. I loved the fact that no hero could kill reinhardt faster than he could kill them. It felt like a reward for getting to the enemy. Does this make me a bad teammate? That’s for you to decide but keep in mind that I win most of my reinhardt games despite what i’ve said and am going to say. But as of now, Rein doesn’t feel good to play, because he’s lost the thing that made him special to power creep. He’s pretty much stayed the same while everyone he used to counter gets stronger and stronger each patch. I can still pull off my playstyle and come out with a win but it’s so much more stressful.

I also ask my team at the start of the game and periodically throughout if they’re ok with the way I want to play, and if they say no, I switch. I’m not a complete dick, I don’t want to ruin the game for people. Unless they’re pricks about it. If they are I ignore them.

CC. There’s simply too much crowd control in this game. The big offenders for me being sombra and mei. Sombra being because of hack. It lasts too long and takes such a small amount of time to activate that it feels completely unfair to any hero who can’t just stick a barrier down and block it.

I fcking hate mei. Why is she allowed to have her ult as her primary fire? I wouldn’t mind but it’s the only primary fire beam that can penetrate players and hit people behind you. So it literally is just her ult bound to a different key. She’s currently the only enemy pick that will make me switch heroes or just leave entirely. It just so happens that since sombra was added most qp teams have had both a sombra and a mei. What fcking joy.

But because the pros don’t have a problem with these, blizz doesn’t feel the need to change any of it. Because blizz have done a complete 180 and changed the game from a casual game to a competetive esport. Which doesn’t work in my opinion. Look how stale the meta is. Every team is the same, and with the addition of role queue nobody is allowed the freedom to mix up their teams. This is the main reason I play classic. Tanks are my favourite class but I play my own, “fun” way not the way that people expect. I wouldn’t call myself “good” at any of them, so queueing for tank and arriving on a team that is expecting me to play the way everyone else does isn’t going to work. So I switch roles mid game if my tanking isn’t tanky enough, and usually people fill in the gaps without issue.

The balancing doesn’t work the same way in this game as it does for most other games. What do you think about the state reaper was in last year? Oh no, he now actually stands a chance of being picked because he has lifesteal. Let’s ignore the fact that symmetra can do 552 damage per second whilst slowing her targets down by 60% because she doesn’t get picked in pro games and therefore clearly isn’t a problem. Meanwhile people in their qp or solo queues are getting destroyed by her because she’s unbeatable against disorganised teams and reaper doesn’t get picked there because he can’t do sh*t against it. This sort of thing happens all the time and it’s getting frustrating. And so point 2 I made all those paragraphs ago became irrelevant too.

As a side note, the advice always given as a way of countering symmetra sucked. “Just melee the turrets they die in one hit” What morons were you playing against that just put the turrets in melee range? I still think the turrets are a wee bit too powerful but she’s not much of a threat to me personally.

This post has gotten off topic so many times that i’m done trying to make it coherent. Think of it what you will. In essence, I don’t like blizzard’s pandering to the pro scene while completely shutting out the casual/low rank side and I think that they’re trying to fill the game with too much stuff that actively makes the game unenjoyable. Namely CC which completely removes your ability to play the hero you picked.

As of now I’m done trying to make people happy. If I get banned for playing rein as a dps in a f*cking casual game mode, I couldn’t care less. And until you give me a pure melee dps hero that can do the things I’m currently doing with rein I’m going to keep doing what I do best; blasting bagpipes through my headphones, charging in like Mad Jack himself and coming out with a team kill.

Casual overwatch, will ye no come back again?

2 Likes

There’s simply too much crowd control in this game.

I hear this a lot. CC is the counter to high mobility heroes. Without it Genji and Tracer would be broken.

It lasts too long and takes such a small amount of time to activate that it feels completely unfair

Hack is one of the worst abilities in the game right now. Freeze is ok, but that’s kinda the point of Mei.

because the pros don’t have a problem with these

The “pros” are usually the ones pushing silly changes without understanding the effects.

Look how stale the meta is.

That’s what a meta is, it’s not supposed to change all the time. The desire to change the meta every few months is one of the reasons that balance is so bad. The pro players think that GOATS is unstoppable, so the entire game gets tilted against it, even though no one else is playing it. Now it’s double barrier, which only exists because we can’t run 3 DPS anymore.

What do you think about the state reaper was in last year? Oh no, he now actually stands a chance of being picked because he has lifesteal.

He was always picked in gold and below because he’s super powerful against unorganised players. His pick rate drops off because at higher ranks there are proficient snipers to shut him down.

Let’s ignore the fact that symmetra can do 552 damage per second
At short range, and she has 200 HP, and she has to charge it. Not exactly much of a threat, she’s been a practical throw pick since the first rework.

people in their qp or solo queues are getting destroyed by her because she’s unbeatable against disorganised teams

Actually what she’s good against is shields, which is why people (me included) pick her against double barrier. If you want to counter her then pick against her.

What morons were you playing against that just put the turrets in melee range?

The average gold player.

I still think the turrets are a wee bit too powerful but she’s not much of a threat to me personally.

She’s supposed to be a threat, she’s a DPS. No one would say “I think Widowmaker’s headshot is too powerful, pls nerf” with a straight face.

I don’t like blizzard’s pandering to the pro scene while completely shutting out the casual/low rank side

It’s never gonna change.

If I get banned for playing rein as a dps in a f*cking casual game mode, I couldn’t care less

Enjoy your ban, then!

until you give me a pure melee dps hero that can do the things I’m currently doing with rein I’m going to keep doing what I do best

That would die instantly in most cases… having such little range in an FPS is not a smart move. Maybe you could try out other heroes and see if you like them, there’s 31 to choose from! Even TF2 doesn’t have a dedicated demoknight class.

1 Like

I bet Symmetra wont be this oppressive if role lock didn’t exist. If there are 3 or more DPS swinging around her she dies, period.

1 Like

I hear this a lot. CC is the counter to high mobility heroes. Without it Genji and Tracer would be broken.

God forbid the heroes generally regarded as the hardest to play become oppressive in the hands of someone good at them. If it was only things like flashbang, charge, halt, bash, uppercut, ect, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It stuns long enough to kill those heroes and they generally have either long cooldowns, are hard to land or barely do damage. In most cases it’s all 3. The reasons I have a problem with mei and sombra are that they last a really long time and some heroes simply can’t do anything about it. If left unchecked, especially in mei’s case, can be infinite cc on an entire team.

The “pros” are usually the ones pushing silly changes without understanding the effects.

That’s what a meta is, it’s not supposed to change all the time. The desire to change the meta every few months is one of the reasons that balance is so bad. The pro players think that GOATS is unstoppable, so the entire game gets tilted against it, even though no one else is playing it. Now it’s double barrier, which only exists because we can’t run 3 DPS anymore.

No problems with anything you’ve said here. Although metas should shift within patches imo.

Let’s ignore the fact that symmetra can do 552 damage per second
At short range, and she has 200 HP, and she has to charge it. Not exactly much of a threat, she’s been a practical throw pick since the first rework.

Liked your little edit here. Catering to her short range doesn’t take much effort and it’s easy to co-ordinate with complete randos to keep her constantly charged and protected. I really don’t have much of a problem with symmetra, I just used her as an example of how I don’t think they focus on the things that are actually important, a point which you agree on.

That would die instantly in most cases…

An idea I’ve had for a while is a hero that gains health and damage with each elim. It wouldn’t be much only about 15hp and 5 damage up to a limit of 10 stacks with a base damage of 50 and a swing speed of 1 swing every 0.6 seconds. A 100hp personal shield similar to brig but a lot more fragile, doesn’t have a stun, and takes longer to start recharging and a speed boost that can be cancelled into a 75 damage attack with a slightly longer range that doesn’t stack with the damage bonuses. and a backswing of 0.2. and the ult being an attack speed increase. This hero would be able to take a few hits while having the mobility to get to the enemy and as a reward for the player getting close/punishment for the enemy getting close would be able to melt squishies and go toe to toe with tanks.
Another idea I came up with that could replace the shield is a smoke bomb that provides infra sight of enemies inside it to your team but completely blocks vision of any enemies inside it. The idea being that you smoke bomb/ sprint-melee combo then ult if you have it. Not saying it’s a great concept just one I personally would like and would find fun. I’d also like it if genji had his primary replaced with a lower damage version of his ult, because that is fun as hell to use but it doesn’t last very long. Not sure what his ult would be other than just a dps boost though.

having such little range in an FPS is not a smart move.

Doomfist, reaper, brig, rein, symmetra, tracer, d.va and genji. Pretty oppressive heroes according to everyone I’ve seen recently.

Maybe you could try out other heroes and see if you like them, there’s 31 to choose from!

Doomfist, reaper, winston, genji and brig are my other go-tos. I like them a lot but to me nothing compares to steamrolling teams with rein and the majority of them suffer the same problems I have with playing rein currently.

Even TF2 doesn’t have a dedicated demoknight class.

You’re right. It’s a sub class or alternative playstyle, something you can’t do with most heroes in overwatch. At least the option is there in tf2.

I’m not saying I’m 100% right and i’m not saying you’re 100% wrong with anything you said. I was pretty tired and frustrated in the original post and i’m not the best at making points to begin with. I appreciate the reply.

generally regarded as the hardest to play

By Genji mains and no one else.

It stuns long enough to kill those heroes

You should probably avoid getting hit by them, then.

some heroes simply can’t do anything about it.

Which is the point of swapping heroes.

a hero that gains health and damage with each elim.

Doomfist has something similar, it’s incredibly annoying.

A 100hp personal shield similar to brig but a lot more fragile

Brig’s shield is already next-to worthless at 200HP, 100 is like a piece of wet tissue between you and the enemy. I think you’re over-eager to reengineer demoknight.

I’d also like it if genji had his primary replaced with a lower damage version of his ult, because that is fun as hell to use

Sure but the damage is the important part, it lets you kill enemies quickly and recharge your dash. If he’s just standing their flailing a sword around he’s gonna get destroyed by longer range heroes.

Doomfist, reaper, brig, rein, symmetra, tracer, d.va and genji. Pretty oppressive heroes according to everyone I’ve seen recently.

I’ve never heard anyone call D.va “oppressive”. As far as I can tell it’s a simple matter of countering the enemy: this is made a lot harder by role lock but it’s still not impossible, and you’re in QPC so it’s no issue. Sometimes playing your main isn’t optimal, which is why it’s important to be at least ok with most heroes.

My guess would be OWL

1 Like