New heroes on battlepass

It has been revealed that Kiriko (the new upcoming support) will be locked behind the battlepass, however you can unlock them for free, presumably further along the battlepass. Personally I think this isn’t great for competitive integrity. However I’d like to know what are other people’s opinions on this?

5 Likes

I don’t like it, as you said, for competitive integrity reasons. Compositions and switching play a big role in winning a match. Potentially screwing over 4 other players because a teammate can’t even pick a character is something I can’t vouch for. We have role locks too, so even if I have the new character but I’m not playing that role makes the situation all the more helpless.

3 Likes

Greetings @Levi , in my personally oppinion,that’s fine,for a long time I wanted battlepass, and I welcome that decidion from Activision Blizzard.I would like to see cosmetics that u can purchase with raal money like in other games,I have enought ages to talk about this things do not get me wrong on this,I learn ‘‘Thank you’’ is not always enought,if you like an champion you will have more opportunity about cosmetics which I see as cool decidion,on the end we are all different,I would like to see that differents trought game as well. (I am not rich guy or something,but if u like something u have to put some odds on it,if we pay attention,today 2022 nothing is free anymore.) You or someone else can judge me for this words,but that is what is it.I have to remaind you I am Casual player,and this will fit to all Casual’s players.Beside this is much better when u put some effort and odds for something and on the end u got it,feeling is amazing.I might like some cosmetic,and i do not have money right now,but I will have next week,next month and it’s more better when I know that specific cosmetic won’t have evryone but I will because is about my favorite hero.About competative integrity,how in other games that work with 150+ heros/champions,in same of these games when u start u have 0 heroes/champions? It’s redicilus,I love Activision Blizzard but on the end I love myself more remembar that.Why am saying this,bcs many of you haven’t seen horrable things and didnt experianced it yet. I also apolagize if my post offending someone it wasn’t my intention for it.

I personally don’t know about this.

It’s fine for competitive integrity. Mostly because there isn’t any anyways (it’s no worse than one tricks)

Everyone has the same opportunity to get it.

They should however have them banned from ranked for a week or 2 like they used to. That would solve it.

This is the sheer definition of P2W in a game like OW where hero swapping is an ESSENTIAL part of the moment to moment gameplay.
Basically climbing in comp will be easier with money now.

1 Like

Not really. The hero will be in the free battlepass. So no paying anything.

What about a new player that joins the game in season 2? They will miss the hero, how’s that for competitive integrity?

1 Like

I think the devs said that you can still earn the hero in consequent seasons. the problem imo is that depending on how many battlepass levels it’s locked behind and how powerful the hero is, it could give paying players an advantage and just people who had played a bit more that season in general

I keep hearing this. The level needs to be revealed asap (mostly just to shut people up).

As for the other part. The only reason you can do something like this for hero releases is if their kits have major overlap with existing heroes.

Which is highly likely going forward as there isn’t really anything obvious missing. The new support appears to be a melee based, speed boosting hero (based solely off the leaked release animated short). So will have big overlap with Lucio.

Mauga is assumed to be the next tank. Imagine he will have a lot of overlap with Zarya.

So I don’t see this being an issue.

A quick way to easy this would be to bring back the hero being banned from ranked for a couple of weeks after launch. Give people a chance to get them and learn them first.

Mate. F2p players will/might unlock new heroes at the end of a 3 month battle pass while paying players get them from day one. Add to that the fact that new heroes can be unbalanced and op and you have the perfect p2w setup. And once the three months are up a new hero drops on the next battle pass. Rinse and repeat.

In many games having heroes behind paywalls is less of an issue, but in a game like ow where core gameplay resides around hero swaps/countering and meta setups it will have huge implications.

1 Like

The thing is, except for a few exceptions. Most new heroes are op in the beginning. This will make people buy because FOMO.
Being able to switch to any hero in ow is essential for the games health. The new heroes will be meta, they can try to mask it but this makes the game unfair to unpaying players. Im happy to buy comstetics as long as people dont get an advantage because they spend money. I cant support this.

This breaks Overwatch’s philosophy of a game where switching heroes and countering the enemy is vital.

Simply in Quick Play, new heroes being locked behind a battle pass (whether that being a free or premium track) will not be beneficial to the playing experience of Overwatch. It will break competitive integrity, even in Quick Play.

I’m sorry, Blizzard, but this is the wrong decision.

1 Like

Season, and thus passes, are 9 weeks. So the leveling won’t take long at all.

Don’t worry about it.

It isn’t behind a paywall, it’s in the free pass.

You aren’t wrong. It’s not the route I’d of liked either.

But in reality, it really doesn’t change anything. You’d be playing anyways. So you’ll get the hero a few hours later instead of immediately.

For a person to whom competitive is inherently too anxiety and stress inducing to play (i only started to play qp after the first ow2 beta), I don’t like having heroes “locked” behind any form of mandatory comp play.

1 Like

Good job it isn’t then. It will just be play games, level up the free pass and boom. Hero is available.

Exactly like the current system with events. Play some games, get a skin (there is a reason they changed it to that system, to test how it impacted things).

I bet the grind will be massive and thus you will need to pay. I KNEW OW2 would not be free! Were being hoodwinked and scammed. I hate you for doing this to OW1 the game i paid for and loved.

All i ever did was buy and play and support the game. And in return i got my game stolen and taken away. And then they want me to pay for heroes that are always OP for a while and always in demand. Yes saying i not own the best hero yet will go down well in comp chat.

Exactly why I don’t like this model

2 Likes

If u can climb within one week I agree with you,but I know u cant climb to Platinum/Diamond/Top 500 for that time,the reason is,game is new,new maps,new heroes,after a week by that you will have enought time to farm and buy that hero.Do not get me wrong on this,you don’t know how real P2W game looks like.I like Overwatch but I like myself more on the end.P2W games,most of them,dosn’t even have forum either community,small help for better undrstending :slight_smile: .