Offensive Usernames Allowed to exist?

Hi , i just got matched with a guy in my team named “Autismo1769” in the EU server , i find this really offensive to the mentaly chalenged of our society and i cannot understand how usernames like that get past your system .
Ofcourse it’s obvious that he is is a troll (lvl 30something 10euro throwaway account) but the name alone should be a bannable offense and you, blizzard, should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing it.

3 Likes

If a name offends you, there is a separate category to report, “bad battletag”. Just use that feature and they’ll look into it.

1 Like

how is it offensive? Maybe the dude is autistic?

3 Likes

I just love how sensitive people have become.

It’s a joke. The point of (dark) humor is to poke fun at how messed up or dark something is. Don’t get all wound up about some pixels on a screen. It’s a username, it literally means nothing in the long run.

1 Like

How about we don’t decide for other people what they should find offensive or not? There is a report feature with a specific category for OP’s problem. Let the game developers decide how they handle it.

Pointing OP towards the report feature should be enough, I think discussing this any further will just turn ugly.

1 Like

so, we shall not decide for other people whats offensive to them and what not, because its blizzard’s job? lol

No, it’s their job to decide what’s offensive for their game. Not individual people.

Starting a discussion about what is offensive and what not, leads to nowhere but useless argueing over stuff that’s subjective anyway.

1 Like

but we can laugh about silly names being offensive to someone, can’t we?

1 Like

I don’t think someone should lose their 20$ (or whatever the cost of the game is) because they made a joke about autism.

What I found saddening is the OP’s shocked reaction to a joke that 90% of people would give no afterthought. You saw a stupid name once, and you’re likely not going to see it again.

i cant help but think that anyone using autism to be offensive may be autistic themselves… considering ADHD is basically just one point on the autism spectrum…

and they basically diagnose everyone with that one… nerd… probably ADHD… bad social skills… probably ADHD… useless at school… ADHD…

autism for everyone! big pharma rejoice!

I don’t either. When they receive enough reports, they are going to have their name changed to a generic one (I think it’s “Player”) and they are requested by e-mail to find a new name. As far as I know, no one has been permabanned without warning just because of a bad name. I also believe someone has to have enough reports in order for Blizzard to take action. So there’s no really not much harm in reporting them.

EDIT: And on a side note, “offended” is a weighted word. People can be “offended” in several ways. To be fair, when I encounter a name like that, I probably would report him too. I am not offended to a point I start crying in a corner, or gasp for breath, I merely roll my eyes if anything. But I think any name about any condition or disease does not really belong in an online game. You are bound to offend or even hurt some people with personal experience in the matter and it’s just not worth it.

What if he has autism and that is his way to cope with it, you just bullied and demanded a ban on an autistic person. Shame on you, he is prob born in 1769 too.

2 Likes

Hey there :smiley: Autismo1769 is a smurf account of mine and I named him Autismo1769 because its a insider in our Group. 17 I like that nummber. 69 because… its 69 everyone knows what that means :smiley: Btw i like how there is a whole discussion about my smurf acc. xD Sry for bad english not my main language :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Offensive usernames are not allowed, these people don`t lose the account but blizz makes them pick another name as in force name change.
For example : Hitler is not an allowed username in WoW , do you find this to be offensive? Maybe you do , maybe you don’t . But if there is something you find offensive , as a customer you have the right to report it.