Overwatch connectivity problem

Hi guys.
So need a bit of help,
I’m not brilliant at dealing with networks etc so need a bit of a step by step what to do with an issue I’ve got.

Since the latest patch whenever I play overwatch on PC my internet connection drops out after about 20 mins. Not had any issues like this before, but it’s making things unplayable.

I’ve done a quick google and there was an old thread with this problem on the forums before but just lots of people saying ‘fix it bliz’
Am not sure if it’s blizzards issue or one on my end so wanting some advice on what to do.

I’ve got a dsl connection and a tp link wireless router.
I play over a wireless connection because of space in the house, but like I said, never had an issue before.
I’ve tried power cycling the router. Also dug out an old WiFi extender and used an Ethernet cable from that to PC.
When the game drops the connection, the router drops connection to the internet, no no internet on phones/tablets etc. Resets after a few mins by its self.
It’s not happening at any other time that I can tell. My wife sat and played Civ 6 for a good few hours the other night without any problems.
I’ve got overwatch on Xbox as well so might try playing on that and see what happens. Don’t think you can display the lag on Xbox though which is frustrating.

Like I said, bit lost when it comes to networks so not sure what to try next.

Anyone got any advice?

recently i started getting lag or the game freezing while i was playing, i had update everything and it was fine but then it got worst again.
i think blizzard is doing some form of an update which is causing the game to lag for some if not most players.

Hi,

I had also problems with connection in the last week or two. For the last two days I didn’t disconnect once, so I guess for now its good.

Most of the things you can do can be found in link below, try troubleshooting as described to see if something helps.

I did run many WinMTR tests during my problems with connection, that can help because you’ll see if you’re dropping any data packages.

Try to focus on things in this link, I think it will help you, inside post you’ll find link’s to WinMTR and Looking Glass to check your network and the rest of the help tips.

Good luck

1 Like

Yeah, saw that link.
Need to give it a go when I get a chance. Been working long days so not been able to.
Did hop on my Xbox and played a bit tonight (found where you can display lag on Xbox to which is good)
Managed to get through 2 mystery hero’s and an archives mission no probs on Xbox, so it would seem this is something to do with my PC accessing things.
Will go through the troubleshooter and see if I can make it work.

Only other thing I can think I’ve changed, like I said is that I installed Razer synapse for the mouse. I can’t imagine that would affect why overwatch drops an internet connection but I guess I could uninstall it if I get no joy elsewhere.

Don’t want to have to rely on Xbox again. It’s properly frustrating that there’s no good way to communicate if people don’t have voice chat on!

I didn’t noticed in your original post that you mentioned Razer software, if you do have it then it’s probably what’s causing your connectivity problems, check this link, its related to Razer.
In the link it does mention black screen crashes, but also low fps due to installed software, I would try that first, if problem still exists then steps with WinMTR etc.

Uninstalled synapse and looks like alls working. Managed to play through storm rising twice. However this now means I can’t play around with key binds etc. Any idea how I’ll know if this problem gets fixed other than keep checking the forum?

Maybe I’m mistaken but I think you can set your mouse settings and then remove software, that’s if your mouse can store that settings in his memory.

I’m not sure what you mean by key binding, if it’s macro’s that’s not allowed in OW as I know, otherwise I would look at Razer forum (if they have one?) and see if any updates are given from their side because it seems that problem comes from their side.

I can’t help you more on that one since I use Steelseries mouse and never had problems with software.

If you want to check Overwatch forums regarding Razer I would recommend that you search in US forum, a lot more people are posting there and you can actually get response from someone, EU forum is ghost town mostly.

Ha, no, not macros. The mouse has a sensitivity up and down button that I’ve rebound to use the coms menu and melee. Yeah, the mouse keeps the settings, but if I want to change them, or change the lights settings I need to reinstall then poss uninstall again! I’ll keep my eyes on the us forum and see what they say.

I see what you mean, maybe you can install mouse software on other disk partition if you have one (D: or other letter if you have optical drive) and try that way, but idk if it will cause connectivity problem again.