Overwatch FPS or not?

Dear Blizzard,

I would like to start this topic by saying this is my personal opinion. I’ve played every competitive season and I have experienced all the “meta’s”, solo queuing, duo queueing, 5-6 stacking, etc. The game is experiencing several problems, which are all being discussed in other topics. Now, my biggest concern is; how can Overwatch still be categorised as FPS (FIRST PERSON SHOOTER)?

The game is in current development with new maps and new heroes. The main thoughts are to provide the player base with new content, changing the meta with other heroes, trying to counter everything. However, many “new” heroes have been released with CC (CROWD CONTROL) and stun abilities. These abilities seriously hurt the FPS element of a shooter game. If you are constantly being stunlocked, thrown up from the ground with your aim going to crap and just rolling in and out of fights, that just doesn’t work in an FPS environment.

I have always loved the gameplay of Overwatch with several objectives and team play to counter and overthrow your opponent. Though, these hero developments are just not fun anymore. I agree that toxic communities, insta locking heroes, smurfs and all those problems hurt the game and the way it is experienced, however, I feel that all the environmental impact abilities hurt the game so much, that it takes away the basic element of the game, which should be FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. I have uninstalled Overwatch twice the last 2 competitive seasons and I never even considered doing this anytime before.

Looking forward to replies from our community and from Blizz.

short answer

Yes it is, If you have an aimbot or reflexes like jonak

Long answer

no… its a MOBA in the first person perspective with a thin veil of FPS draped over it to make it appeal to all those COD and Battlefield players who have franchise fatigue… and because of its design its basically a DMG spamfest, Ult Spamfest, or W+MB1 to victory depending on maps and or comps…

hope this helped

Its not a moba, don’t listen to the people who claim it is. Mobas are a very specific genre. If you want a moba/fps hybrid look at Battleborn. Overwatch is NOT a moba, there are no lanes or creeps, no items, no leveling, nothing that is moba-like other than objectives(which exist in call of duty) and different classes(once again exist in call of duty, or if you want a better comparison - team fortress).

The people who claim it is a moba want to change the focus, to show that shooting is not as important. It is all one big smoke and mirrors, don’t listen to them, overwatch is a team based FPS. Even if all aim is taken away it’ll be a team based brawler like I guess for honor but without any of the skill involved?

1 Like