Overwatch keeps crashing my PC

Goodday,

My PC crashes only when I play Overwatch. Sometimes its the first game I play and other times I can play 10 games without any problems. My screen freezes first but the audio continues for a couple seconds and then boom computer restarts. I don’t see any error message or blue screen but my PC crashes into reboot.

When it restarts sometimes I just get a black screen and nothing happens. Other times I just have to restart a couple times and then Windows loads.

I have tried the following to fix it (but it hasn’t worked):

• installed newest Nvidia drivers;
  • installed older Nvidia drivers;
  • repaired Overwatch;
  • reinstalled the game;
  • repaired Windows.

I hope someone can help me out.

Greetings,
MssV187

Hey i’m not tech support but i got a few things you could try:

first you wanna ensure that the problem only occurs with overwatch, if you have any other 3d applications that behave the same you can be sure its not related to OW.

if every other game you have works fine, check your other drivers, not just the GPU drivers… if you do not know how to do this manually there are various programs that do it automatically like IObit driver booster. ( which has a free version )

Also you could try using DDU to reinstall your GPU, this ensures nothing of previous driver installations is left behind. ( free program, google it )

If you have any over clocks, try disabling them and try again, especially GPU oc has been known to cause problems with OW… a friend of mine crashed nearly every game but when he disabled his oc it worked fine.

If none of that works, you could use HWmonitor to see what exactly happends to your hardware while you play, perhaps something is overheating?

If something is overheating, clean out all the dust from your pc, dust that gets heated can form something that is refered to as artifacts, and those artifacts are basically dust that gets crusty and is even able to block your fans from spinning, thus overheating your hardware.
Important sidenote, when you clean out your pc, ensure you hold your fans so that they do not spin in opposite direction as this can severely damage your fans.

If all this fails and you are sure its related to your pc hardware and not a software issue you could try resetting your BIOS to default, perhaps even do a bios update if you have never done this.

Also its good to try and remember when it worked without issues last and what you have changed in the meantime. perhaps you will suddenly realize you changed something in your system/hardware and simply reversing this change will fix your issues.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I have the same issue, it is only overwatch everything else runs smoothly.
When i becnhmark my computer it is in the 95th percentile and shouldnt struggle, i am steady on 150 FPS.

Running with an i7, 1080, 500gb SSD, 32 GB DDR4 G-skill ram.

I have just given up and just deal with the fact that now and then it crashes.