OW Comp Matchmaking... scam?

I understand the big Overwatch League has a lot of money going through it, with the sponsorships and TV commercials. I mean, hey, money runs the world, what makes Overwatch any different? But what happened to fair games, luck of the draw, and pure chance?

For 8 weeks, I have been playing with a fellow Overwatch player. He is just a few hundred SR behind me, in gold. Every time he gets around 2450 sr, we are suddenly set up with insanely unfair match making, leaving us in no way possible to win these games. It’s happened EVERY time for the past 2 months. It’s unfair, and borderline grounds to find a new game to play. Does anyone else have similar issues?

I understand that you can’t let everyone get 4000+ sr, there’s not enough money to throw around. And, I understand that certain entities like to keep the lower tiers in the lower tiers (much like the government of communist countries). To do it through a rigged match making system is astoundingly upsetting. ASTOUNDINGly I say. I’m, frankly, appalled by the match making system in Competitive Overwatch. It’s ridiculous.

Players working their tails off to climb tier in video games shouldn’t be punished by a biased match making system. It’s straight up, and outright, unfair.

8 Likes

so let me get this straight-you think the devs are trying to keep your friend in gold. please tell me im interpretating your statement wrong. your friend cant ge plat if he doesnt deserve plat. when he gets on the level of plat players, he will go in plat. when he gets on diamond lvl ,he will be in diamond etc. do not blame the system for your friends inability to climb out of gold.

1 Like

They literally said.

I’ve seen some things thrown around on rigged matchmaking, but this takes the crown.

3 Likes

oh yes they did. spot on. good observation. follow the money

What are you on about?

1 Like

The Communists obviously

1 Like

DONT LISTEN TO THEM. You have every right to feel how you do. I climbed out by as crazy as it sounds finding 5 other people that like the game as much as me randomly on HEADSET. Then we somehow coordinated and I ONLY play with them. 1437 - 1873 in one day. You’re right it is rigged and I found the cheat code. Also the win to loss ratio makes it damn near impossible. It’s a slow grind. The “GRANDMASTERS” will stay there not compromising their ability meanwhile we all are stuck. That’s all videogames. They have to have a ceiling somewhere. Once something else comes out I’m off this game too. Keep working you’ll climb it’s just slow (:

Hahaha. Dude. I’ve just gone from 1970 to 2515 in 4 days.

Yeah, losses happen.

Sounds a bit like you get a mental block when you get nearer to plat. Just stop worrying about it. If you enjoy playing with this friend, that is all that matters.

2 Likes

It’s slow because you’re not rapidly improving.

2 Likes

In previous seasons I had higher SRs compared to Support and DPS. I lost 5/5 Tank matches.

Whenever I get to a point, I keep getting insanely hard matches with good enemy team and bad teammates. Throwers, people who don’t communicate, instant-pickers… It gets more difficult in every season to go higher. I cannot win!

Sorry but your theory doesn’t jive with my firsthand experience. First off, there are many “plat level players” sprinkled throughout gold. Second, many steamers have said diamond is the hardest rank to get out of. And lastly, you have no idea how many people are actually climbing. Lastly, you assume that the matchmaker isn’t busted. It took them season after season after season to fix bugs in several heroes, what makes you think that matchmaking is flawless, especially when so many people take issue with the way it operates. They’re supposed to ignore their own experiences and take your word over their first hand knowledge of how the matches are going?

I believe that to be completely untrue. You alone do not determine your rank as overwatch is a team game. Fair enough, I believe what they are saying about the rigged matchmaking is absurd, however I do not believe that majority of players are in the rank they deserve.

1 Like

A lot of people will not be at the rank they deserve, if SR was purely based on your performance.

But there is no conspiracy, only you can change what you do in game.

If your team is bad, or throwing, or the enemy have cheater/smurfs, your game will be unwinnable. But you can’t really do anything about. You can only do your job and move on.

1 Like

Kinda contradicts the whole ranking system though, doesn’t it?

People skill and getting to coordinate the team to increase the performance is also a skill.
“Yo DPS switch off kill the Pharah it’s your job!”
switches to hitscan
“Don’t you know how to play this game?”
“Dude just kill Pharah”
“You suck…”
^ usually the people that have a decent mechanical skill and a bit of basic team comp, that can’t climb.

1 Like

Not really. Just got to ignore your rank 99% of the time. Find a way to enjoy your games and move on from there. You’ll win more if your having fun anyway.

If that’s playing with a friend and having a laugh. Finding a really well coordinated 6 stack or one tricking a hero you enjoy… go nuts, just enjoy the game.

I have the same thing I’m a support player and last season I finally got a sr of +2500. And after a ton of grinding I eventually got to +2800. But after I lost 2 matches in a row I only got this weird and ridiculous teams that I had to play with. and since that moment I never came above a sr of 2550 because of the weird matchmaking. but the weird thing is my friend is a dps main and in season 18 (when role Queue came) he got Barely diamond in dps after a lot of grinding. And when he is playing alone he gets normal teams for high plat / diamond. Like why is this happening?