Penalty for disconnection

hi, i have been playing a bit of quick play matches with my friend in NA server and ive had some unintentional disconnection from the server and had to restart overwatch more than a couple times today despite my internet being fine. after some time i get the -75% exp penalty for leaving too many quick plays and eventually got the warning message saying i will receive penalty. i don’t understand why im supposed to be penalized for being forcefully disconnected from the server? is there any solution to this because it is getting quite frustrating.

Thank you

1 Like

Hello elroscow,

I’m sorry to hear you lost season rating due to a disconnection. Unfortunately, customer support has no way of restoring or altering season rating, nor remove game suspensions; you can read more about it here.

What we can do is help you troubleshoot your connection, please follow the steps mentioned in our Troubleshooting Connection and Latency Issues article, including the advanced troubleshooting if needed.

How’s my driving? Let me know! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Hagut

hi, thank you for the response

but it’s not about me losing sr or getting suspended from games (which thankfully haven’t happened yet). it’s more about getting disconnected though the internet is working fine, i had good connection to the server then just being cut off without any signs, which frustrates me, as well as being penalised for it making matters worse. i could not care less about my sr, i just want a fun gameplay experience. i will try the connection troubleshoot, but if it does not work still after that, could i make a suggestion to have a system where it distinguishes intentional leaving and unintentional disconnection to apply right penalty (or no penalty) for better user experience?

1 Like

The thread I linked you above answers that specific scenario, and I quote:

There is no reliable way that we can discern if you disconnected because of a connection issue, or you forced a disconnect. Because of that, we need to treat anyone who leaves a match in the same way.

Please check the link for the full message.

I’m sorry we’re unable to help you with this, and I hope your connection issues do go away. Please follow the steps of the support article I linked above.

How’s my driving? Let me know! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Hagut

Just you wait for another league eliminations. I lost so much of my SR because of many disconnects on January( and no it is not my internet). And I do care about my SR, Blizzard. No I just have been disconnected, while my YT works and rest of my internet So dear support - You can’t maybe tell who disconnects on purpose, whios not, fdair enough… but surely you can make more stable connection with your servers. You know your servers crash, I play WoW for years and years and I’ve seen same situation on raids and M+ ( which is aswell frustrating). So give us maybe a “leap of faith” and let us have 2 or even hell, one free disconnect/ PER MOTH, OR SEASON. No SR taken, no damn game suspension for 10 minutes. How hard is that? hmm? Just giving something, but not as much it would be used by toxic players. And we will be happy…

We are not aware of any issues with our servers. Whenever there are general issues, we always inform our players (usually via Twitter, @BlizzardCSEU_EN).

Keep in mind that, due to the way internet connections work, it can be that you have issues only with specific services or programs. This usually happens when something is going wrong along the way your connection takes to our servers; you can read a bit more about it here.

On the other hand, please keep in mind this is the technical support forum. We’re here to help as much as possible, but we’re not involved with the development of the game, nor can we change things. If you think the way penalties are applied should change, please don’t hesitate to post about it on the Competitive Discussion forum. That way you can talk about it with others, and our community team can pass the general sentiment on to our development team.

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!

I was in competitive mode and my game crashed after restarting the game I rejoined the game and we did win it but I lost 50 sr and get 2 minutes penalty.
Just wtf???
Sorry if my English is bad.

A leaver penalty is still applied if you’ve been away for more than 2 minutes, or if you’ve left the same match several times before. This is to encourage players to troubleshoot the issues they’re encountering rather than continuing to play. :slight_smile:

Pachimari

Maybe blizzard should do a better job of identifying when a person is just leaving a game and when it is technical issues! I just got smacked with a 9 game penalty because of the ps4 network issues!!! Maybe your company should stop doing a horrible job and then tell us to keep playing.

1 Like

Maybe you have a dodgy router or wifi signal. Wired connections are infinitely more reliable than wireless.
Some routers behave strangely which can result in some TCP/UDP connections working, and others not. Most routers use really cheap crappy SoCs with small amounts of memory, extremely ancient linux kernels and really outdated buggy software generally. A lot of big brand name appliance router manufacturers like Netgear, DLink, “Appliance Router X” etc will use a giant plastic case for their “high-end” expensive routers to make it look more impressive “bigger is better”? but still use all the same crappy hardware and software inside as mentioned above.

If you really care about not losing connection you should try use a wired connection and run a decent router like DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Your own linux router or whatever. Another possibility if you use ADSL for example is put your router in bridge mode and make the PPPoE connection from your computer instead, offloading the connection handling from the router’s SoC to your computer, you should get slightly better ping doing this also.

You should also try get an internet connection with low contention ratio, and capped. Uncapped internet is always inferior for latency. Avoid the temptation to get your internet from an ISP that over-sells, advertising massive bandwidth or uncapped connections. When it comes to gaming, bandwidth means absolutely nothing, latency and reliability mean everything.

It’s easy to blame Blizzard, but I don’t have any connection problems on my “crappy” ADSL line with (4mbit down and 0.5Mbit up) in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in South Africa, connecting to Blizzard’s European server.

I am having the same issue but I’m not playing competitive, just quick play, custom games and total mayhem.

I’ve checked my internet and it’s fine, I’ve checked and repaired the game that’s not helped and the longer I’m in the game the more it disconnects from the server.

This has only started happening since the new patch. It is not happening to any of my friends.