Rendering Device has been lost, application closing!

So I have been playing overwatch for a long time now and this issue is a first, I have recently stopped playing overwatch for a month or so and then decided to start playing again. At the start of a game ie introducing the players and average SR, my game will crash and display rendering device has been lost, application closing. Another way my game will crash is at the end of a game, after the play of the game just before it takes me back to the main menu it crashes and displays the same error. The final reason is when i alt tab, the same thing happens. My game has never crashed in the middle of the match.
I have tried the following:

• I don’t have my computer overclocked

• This does not happen in other games

• Uninstalled and reinstalled overwatch

• Made superfetch automatic

• Reinstalled my graphics card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti)

• Made a FIx.Reg folder that I found on YouTube which includes the following:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]
“TdrDelay”=hex(b):08,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

• Yes I do have my game settings on low because that seems to be a highly recommended action

• Please note that my game sometimes crashes and sometimes does not, depending on its mood apparently
    *Please remember that my game only crashes at the start,end or when I alt tab and it does not always crash at these times

Have tou tried updating your drivers ?

Yep, everything is up to date.

I think the problem happens when it goes/leaves fullscreen, maybe try to play in windowed mode for a while ?
Other than that, maybe your gpu begins to die, happened to me a month ago… Rip my beloved 770

Hiya,

Thank you for listing the steps you have gone through already. Please post your System Files so we can have a closer look into this. Please go through the steps listed here, and create both the MSInfo and DxDiag files. Post them on a page like Pastebin.com or share directly with us through OneDrive. Post the links here afterwards, so we can have a look.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

How recently has it been happening for you? Mine has been doing this for 2 weeks straight

1 Like

And also, mine crashes whenever I move the mouse too fast, so no more genji

And also again, none of any of the tips that are meant to help it actually do. So, make like Bob and do something

Do you have discord overlays activated and use discord? It can happen with these overlays.
Was the only time i had this crash, and this solved it.

Just to add my solution to the problem,
If it doesn’t help my best luck to find it.

Hey dude,

I also was experiencing this issue until seems this morning. I switched graphics to low profile settings, rendering scale to 100%, capped FPS to 95 and game running in borderless windowed mode - I am playing on acer nitro 5 (the amd one). No issues since, so I suppose if you try out some settings out in Overwatch it should be fine.

Hope this helps!

BR,
Sleezeman

that is nice but i need for my playstyle 200+ fps and with 95 fps i cant do more than play reinhardt… or mercy…

Guys, if you are still experiencing this issue and you already tried the steps suggested here, as well as lowering your game rendering scale to 100%, please try also disabling fullscreen optimization for Overwatch. To do that:

1. Navigate to overwatch.exe
  2. Right click and select Properties and Compatibility
  3. Check "Disable fullscreen optimization"

If it doesn’t work and the game keeps on crashing with the same error, then we’ll need the files Nenyasqi asked for.

Thank you!

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

Thanks, but it didn’t work, and what doesn’t help is that I’m getting leavers penalties for something that’s not my fault. So, please solve the problem because it’s really annoying.

1 Like

Hi,

I don’t want to be harsh, but saying you can’t play this game without being 200 fps is simply stupid. Even on low setting your texture setting is still set to ‘high’, everything over 60 fps is fine for such game like overwatch, even for high level rank players (I doubt you are pro level overwatch player, competing in tournaments). So if you still want to experience this error do not do the changes. Also since I did the changes and I do not get this error anymore it was so satisfying playing 10 games straight and also on my laptop I have IPS screen and even though I switched to low I really can’t tell the difference!

BR,
Sleezeman

Hi,

And what is the point of your reply? I provided a solution which worked for me, if you want to read regarding fps and human eye go Google it, there is a very long article about it (and yes I have read it before posting).

TL:DR you did not help at all, which was the point here.

BR,
Sleezeman