Rendering Device has been lost (only after match ends)

So since about half a year now Overwatch regularly crashes and gives me a “Rendering Device has been lost” error. “Luckily” it only happens after a match has ended. But yesterday I was playing in a group, my game crashed and the group immediately got put in the next match where I then was afk, the match got cancelled and I lost SR. So since I quit like playing in groups I’m looking for a solution.

I usually get a black screen when this happens, Overwatch doesn’t react anymore and when I press the windows key I can see the error message. And then I have no choice but to force quit Overwatch.

I have already tried the following:

• Reinstalled Windows 10, Battle. net, Overwatch & the graphics driver
  • Update all drivers
  • Closed background programs
  • Made sure my system is not overheating (max. temp 85 Celsius when playing)
  • tried different Overwatch graphic settings

SAME! 90% after a match ends when clicking leave match or waiting until the timer reaches zero and BOOM! And lately 10% during a competitive match which makes me lose SR. This is the only game where this happens.

I also tried

• Reinstalling Windows 10, battle.net, Overwatch, Graphic drivers
  • Update all drivers
  • Close background programs
  • Different combination of graphic settings
  • No overheating! I have a laptop fan AND a fan to keep humans cool in the summer less than 20cm away from my laptop on max settings. My fingers move in slow motion when typing for how cold it is on my laptop, it definitely is not overheating…

Issue is still happening for me, I’ve deleted suspect folders and re-installed overwatch, checked temperatures as well and all is normal throughout play. Overwatch is the only game this is happening for and oddly enough it only happens on the main menu for me.

If I am in a game I’m good to go but as soon as a game finishes it’s a roll of the dice whether or not the main menu of all things kills my game.

Edit: also would like to mention that even after startup it’s a race to get into a game because if I linger too long on the menu it’s a ticking time bomb. There is something going on in the menu that is killing the entire process

Hello everyone,

This error is a bit complicated, and can often be related to hardware (specially, from the cases I’ve seen, power supply issues). This makes it extremely difficult to identify the cause in the forum, and troubleshoot it. If nothing works, I’d maybe recommend taking your computer to a local technician so they can review everything and make sure it’s working as it should.

That said, we have a sticky with several possible causes and solutions for this specific error. Please, take a look and make sure you follow all the steps:

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!