Rendering device has been lost

Since i got a 2080 the rendering device lost error also came back for me :confused:
Problematic part is that is a highly random error you can plays for hours without problems and just when your really enjoying it hangs

i had simular errors on my 980ti, but it never occured on my 1070ti
and i am not an AMD user, i use intel procecor and nvidia cards

same for my Zotac gaming 2080ti ā€¦ with 1200w aliom new pc ā€¦ still *** me up point on competitiveā€¦

Do you (or anyone) use discord by any chance?
If so, disable the overlays from discord.

I know its mentioned at some other threads, i just wanted to share my solution.

(i run i7-7700k oc to 4.9ghz, paired with a gtx 1070ti strix (so oc from asus)

I also use shadow play (with overlays)
And i have razer synapse installed (but never updated, i close it always after the pc started)
(never had problems with avast)

These are all stuff blizzard wants to Uninstall, i understand it from a debug pov. This is just my experience, i want to share.

HI. Everything work fine until new windows update are coming.
MSInfo + dxdiag
https:// gist. github. com /ice2heart/5f2340866f785f09fa22eb72dea417de
Itā€™s reproduced each game.
Week ago it was OK.

This worked for me. Iā€™ve been playing for 2 hours without a crash. Thank you!

Upgraded my 1080 to a 2080 and started getting render device lost as well, now iā€™ve been banned from competetive for over a week as punishment. get your stuff together blizzā€¦

6 Likes

If you got here you should demand a refund of Overwatch as quick as possible.
Nothing that support suggests will fix the game once you start getting ā€œrender device lostā€, Itā€™s due to hardware incompatibility from Overwatch side and the ghostchase support sends you on is to throw you off and make you believe itā€™s your hardware that is faulty, when it actually is the game.

Iā€™ve gotten several replies from Blizzard support in regards to this problem after I upgraded my computer with new graphics card, they donā€™t care that we pay 60 eur for a game that doesnā€™t work and they laugh us in the face when we get banned from competitive play due to problems we have NO CONTROLL OVER.

You do NOT need to uninstall your mouse or game pad drivers (Razer), if you have to, demand a full refund. The product is defective

1 Like

Iā€™ve had multiple issues with them yes, and they usually suggest to uninstall the Razer drivers for your mouse as a solution. I clean installed the pc and provided them with logs on multiple occasions without any solution from them

And yeah. good luck on the refund, Support is ofcourse not even admitting the problem but trying to blame your perhipal drivers so there is nothing faulty with the product :wink:

Also donjuno, you have 2 years from purchase of date no matter what blizzard says, unless they want to violate eu trade law ofc

DonJuono

Please do not write if you do not know what you are talking about.

Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumerā€™s best interest.

If goods you bought anywhere [in the EU](https:// europa . eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm#abbr-ID0E1) turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund .

As a general rule, you will only be able to ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods.

Overwatch, The goods is broken, and they cannot repair (patch it)

You can do a simple google to find this out or simply go to
https:// europa . eu /youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

1 Like

DonJuono

If you bought Overwatch with creditcard and Blizzard refuses to refund you can send in a cashback request to your credit card issuer and refer to the information given above. In most contries, by law. they must refund you. itā€™s then Blizzards problem to deal with their payment issuer they use ( usually DIBS or some other big brand payment processor )

Iā€™m informing others about their legal rights to get a refund of a faulty product even though Blizz might claim other.

That itā€™s used does not matter. Blizzard policy simply doesnā€™t stand over law :slight_smile:

and itā€™s not fraud but within your legal right if the vendor cannot fix the product and refuses to refund you

Of course OV should be removed from the users account in such a case, iā€™m not arguing against that.

Iā€™ve owned it since release, my 2 years are over. just recently started playing the game

Also, if you got here and have gotten banned because of Render device lost. Support wonā€™t fix it:

Your ticket has received the following response:

Hey there, Roffe.

Game Master Stilggost here. While we would be happy to assist in troubleshooting any issues youā€™ve been experiencing with Overwatch, our support staff is not able to view competitive suspensions, and so we cannot answer this type of question.

Hello everyone,

Please, keep in mind this is the technical support forum. This is no place to have discussions about refunds or laws. If you feel youā€™re entitled a refund, youā€™ll have to directly contact Customer Support and discuss your options with them.

On the other hand, please keep in mind it makes it incredibly harder for us to provide support or follow up cases when youā€™re posting on several threads about the same issue. Furthermore, it violates the forumā€™s Code of Conduct.

That said, letā€™s go into looking for solutions for people with this error.

I always recommend starting here, as I said on my first message in this thread:

It contains most of the solutions for this kind of error. Please, take a look and follow all the instructions that apply.

Iā€™d also recommend checking the solution NightBlade suggested:

Iā€™ve also seen cases where overlays where causing this error. If you have any program that has overlays (Discord is probably the most common), make sure you deactivate them. Iā€™d also try closing background applications to make sure thereā€™s no other program interfering with the game:
battle.net/support/article/23848

If the issue persists, please create your DxDiag and MSInfo files:
battle.net/support/article/12988

You can paste the content of each file on a web like Pastebin and provide us with the links. If it doesnā€™t let you publish your message because of the links, try to paste them using the preformatted text option (</> button).

Got feedback about the support Iā€™m providing? Leave your comments here!

I also am having this problem too, I have a RTX 2080 and I get this error all the time and itā€™s very annoying. Iā€™ve stopped playing comp after my hour ban I received because of it.

1 Like

At least somebody who thinks he gets the crashes again.
Glad to hear youā€™re smart enough.
Hopefully nvidia / blizzard fix this.

No issues at all with the gtx 10series.

Any updates? Iā€™ve tried all of these suggestions and even RMAā€™d my RTX 2080 Ti FE as a last resort but I still get the ā€œYour rendering device has been lost! Application closing!ā€ crash 1-3 times per play session.

Most recently itā€™s resulted in 2 suspensions from Competitive CTF because it makes it look like I left the game.

Iā€™ve tried the Nvidia Control Panel ā€œManage 3D settingsā€ option, the Debug Mode option, Iā€™ve replaced my motherboard once, my RAM twice, and even put the RTX 2080 Ti in another computer and I still get the crashes no matter which rig has this GPU in it.

1 Like

sounds odd, i know but you need to disable turbo mode on your CPU (yes Cpu). You can do that in throttlestop or simply by going to the windows enegery options and put max CPU state to 99% (it will prevent he CPU to go into Turbo Boost Mode).

Give it a try. I tried everything, in all forums, all videos i foundā€¦nothing help until I did this. Many hundrets of hours without a crash since then.

3 Likes

Thanks, kEraMiK Iā€™ll give that a try.

I also have a support ticket with Nvidia thatā€™s been going since mid-November and they just escalated it to their level-2 team. Iā€™ll be sure to reply to all these threads across the different sites if they find an actual fix.

Thanks for everyoneā€™s efforts and input thus far :wink:

1 Like

Nvidia RTX2070 here.

ā€œrendering device has been lostā€ error randomly after playing 5-20min.
Sometimes no issues for hours. GPU heat stays at sensible levels (55-65 c) so it should not be the issue.

Not very fun.

2 Likes

All,

PSA.

• Kook