Rendering device has been lost

I have a 2060, it happens to me after around 30 mins. So I was basically forced to quit.

1 Like

Hey Blizzard, WTF? this bug is still going on june 22 2019. GTX 1080 and it worked fine from release until about a month ago. But screw me right, you already got my money. This is what happens when Activision takes over.

had the game about a month and ive had this happen about 10-20 times now. I just got banned from comp for 10 mins, after it happening in the starting zone at the start of a match! finally decided to google it and here i am. glad itā€™s not just a problem with my PC. please fix

itā€™s so random. no pattern to it at all. can play for 6 hours without it happeningā€¦

Hello
I have 2 monitors and some time ago after being in total dispair, I turned 1 of them and voilĆ”! No more crashes and no more watching pod casts or OW league while playing (1st world problems right?).
My humble rig:
2060 Rog Strix
i5 8400 running at 3.9GHZ
16 gb of Ram
All cores unparked.
No overlock in any device except Iā€™m using XMP profile but my ram is not overclocked at all.

With my old 960 never had an issue bit I didnā€™t play with 2 monitors. So, the root of the crashes still remains unknown to me. I will try the ā€œoldā€ fix with 2 monitors on. Thanks to all!!

I have TDR issue when playing Overwatch. Kernel driver crashed and recovered + Overwatch said ā€˜ā€˜rendering device lostā€™ā€™.
Win 7 64 bit
I7 4770
16 gb ram
Gtx 1060 6gb

i think itā€™s nvidia 430.86 drivers fault.

Hey there,

same stuff over here --> Rendering device lost
Never had it before on the GTX 1060 on FullHD screen
recently upgrated to a GTX 2070 with a WQHD screen, both MSI

What iā€™ve tried:
-Playing on LOW settings --> NOPE
-Playing on FullHD screen instead of the WQHD screen (high and low graphics settings)ā€“> NOPE
-Force Enabeling SuperFetch --> NOPE
-Tested the PSU on powerdrops --> NOPE
-PSU is 750W so should be no problem
-For a friend of mine putting game in fullscreen instead of borderless windowed seemed to do the trick but not for me :frowning:

Really starting to think that hopping on the new GTX 20x0 train was not such a good idea :frowning:

nvidia disappointing me lately :frowning:

Then dont play comp when you know there is an isseuā€¦ That you lost so many points is your own fault, because you keep playing comp, and you forced 7 times 5 people to a loss!!

ā€œIf nothing helps, my recommendation would be taking your PC to a local technician so they can make sure everything is working as it should.ā€

Not great advice. I play other PC games and have never, EVER, see the same error message. It isnā€™t a hardware issue. Itā€™s an Overwatch issue.

Yes, have an RTX card and I get this error non stop no matter what I do to try and ā€œfixā€ it. NO other game has this issue. Stop hiring crap programmers and get your crap together blizz

Game in Windowed mode with RTX cards gets error, go find out why and fix. Can run in fullscreen without issue.

Not from the EU, but may have a solution for your problem if youā€™re an nvidia RTX user:

-Right click on desktop and go to Nvidia Control panel
-under 3D settings click configure surround, PhysX
-on the right hand side you will see PhysX settings. Make sure itā€™s on automatic.
-Reboot PC
-Give it another go

I noticed this started happening after I decided to play borderlands 2 again and had to change my PhysX settings to properly run a game. Iā€™m running a 2080Ti and had issues running borderlands 2ā€¦

Regardless when I changed those settings up, it caused issues with overwatch I then switched them back and the issue was fixed. I hope this helps

Iā€™m trying this fix by auto changing the TDR values to 8, and the video recommends to try that and if that doesnā€™t work, change it to 10. I will try and post results. Video: How to Fix "Rendering device has been lost" in Overwatch - 2021 Solution! - YouTube

Hello I am having this issue too. I have an RTX 2060 almost 4 months.
Until yesterday once an today twice I didnā€™t had any issue at all.
I play on graphic settings somewhere between Ultra and Epic.
For now I lowered them to 100% Ultra just in case.
Like others mentioned this happened only on OW.

Hi all. I can definitely relate. Iā€™ve been experiencing this problem for MONTHS!!
Iā€™ve combed the Net trying to find a solution.
I have an Asus ROG Strix with a nVidia 1060 GTX.
I had the gameā€™s video setting set to Ultra. My system runs it just fineā€¦ until I started getting the ā€œRendering device has been lost!ā€ message-boxes and my game freezes up.

SOLUTION:
This worked for me. I set the video settings from ā€œUltraā€ to ā€œHighā€.
No, the graphics arenā€™t as detailed, but I havenā€™t run into this issue since dropping the graphics settings a notch lower.
Hope this helps. I was banned last season because the game kept crashing. Not a single problem, this season.

Really? Should the player, the consumer, be penalized (for something they canā€™t do anything about), by Blizzard, by having to deal with annoying random crashes AND even being penalized for it in competitive game modes? No. The only one to blame here is Blizzard (and/or maybe Nvidia).

Man, this is getting so bad lately. I only had the issue like once or twice in a month but since the last update Iā€™m getting it daily. I donā€™t even wanna play anymore because to my luck, itā€™s always happening in the beginning of a ranked game so Iā€™m getting kicked, Iā€™m not able to get back in and Iā€™m losing SR so Iā€™m also not climbing anymore. Oh and of course the long bans.
Iā€™m tired of this issue and Iā€™ve tried like every fix I could find. Please fix your game, Blizzard.

1 Like

I just got this issue today and I know what was my problem.

If you have an Nvidia card, check your Nvidia settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Overwatch -> Optimise for Compute Performance -> Off.

This worked for me so far, so see if this fix can also apply to you, otherwise search more about what this option does as I feel it can be related. Hope this helps.

I have a 2080 card running on Medium settings capped on 90 and i still get it, also not my idea of using my card this way, I mean comprimise ā€¦ maybeā€¦ but this is just silly.

Same here combed trough the internets, forums, disabled overlays (Xbox. Plays(uninstalled), Discord and changed nvidea 3d settings.

After the crash my desktop doesnt even respond propper anymore i cant use shortcuts for Taskmanager or open programs. so i need to reset my pc and log in quickly for rejoining

Problem still persists and you get punished hard in ranked for these crashes,

I just built a new pc as well. With a RTX 2070. Every game is working but Overwatch has this crash as well. ā€˜ā€˜rendering device has been lostā€™ā€™
Sometimes it works
Sometimes it doesnā€™t
On my old laptop the game worked fine. But now i have this pc im getting these crashes.

there is no fix for that, devs just need to fix the game cuz there is nothing wrong with your PC or GPUā€¦ i had this issue alot with my GTX 1060 and later n with my RTX 2070ā€¦ i managed to eliminate rendering device error once a week thanks to running OW on display based FPS (i have 144hz monitor so 155-160 fps on display based lock) and dont run OW in windowed or borderlessā€¦ iam using only fullscreen atm and its working fine and iam getting that error once or twice a week and iam playing every day for 4 hours or moreā€¦ Also set everything on low and render scale 80%-100%ā€¦ I think we are receiving rendering device error becaue OW wants only CPU and GPU is running at 30% tops so it looks like GPU enter sleep mode or something and it causes rendering device error, anyway they could just eliminate this problem easily but i guess it have something to do with screenlocks and anticheat system they have (just my guess tho idk if its true) so if you have this problem just try what i recommended and dont forget to turn off ā€œfullscreen optimizationā€ in Overwatch.exe