Report - Endorsement and avoid system

How about replacing endorsements and avoid players with a simpler more effective recommendation system. After each match each player can be given a thumbs up for being a good teammate constructive/cooperative/friendly. Players are matched by the number of recommendations they get without showing to the public (like endorsement level - The only thing what people need to know is you get what you deserve). That way toxics play with toxics and polite/cooperative players finally get fun matches.

Adding something from further down since headline was edited:

BTW: How about adding 2 report buttons with the new replay system?

You push a button and the last 10 secs or a screenshot get uploaded when abusive chat or whatever happened took place. Saves you a lot of trouble of categorizing and reading. You could even store it on client pcs till the matter is solved.

What do you guys think? I would love that. Click - upload proof. Dada!

5 Likes

that sounds like a great idea, cuz you wont have to play with toxic people

You’re describing the endorsement system. People give thumbs up (major issue here: the fixed number 3 - should be in such a way that you could basically save up endorsements over a day (only use 2 - next time you have 4 available), so you can give the entire team endorsements if it’s appropriate), more thumbs up means higher endorsement level, which in turn means a higher likelihood of being matched with high endorsement level team mates.

I don’t see an issue with endorsement levels being public, it’s generally good to see. As a 4 I mostly get matched with 4s and 3s, but with many people being on the low end and maybe some random factor, there will be 1s and 2s every now and then - and it’s good to know that right away, so you know what to expect. It’s transparency which is increasingly hard to come by with all the hidden profiles.

1 Like

If you see a 1, don’t you already assume they’re toxic?

I’d sure hate to be on the other end of that salt.

Yet another thing CSGO has that this game should’ve had at launch

Being a 1 almost takes an effort - or being a new player that hadn’t had the chance yet to get endorsements, but you can recognize those from their level.

TL:DR : As humans we tend to assume stuff, whether we like it or not. Don’t let a tiny multicolored number affect how you would act around players.

Don’t assume anything solely based on a barely functional system. Not only do people tend to forget endorsements, but most of the time you only get them when you win or played support.

Also, if someone gets ANY sort of disciplinary action on their account, even something as small as a 7 day mute, their rating gets fully reset.
I can tell you the story of how I literally didn’t speak a word in TC or MC after getting a warning, but still got muted for 7 days, but some blizzard employee will probably just throw this response into the “false report” arguement.

1 Like

@ Myrion: No, it is not like the endorsement system. You can have a 4 and still be a toxic buttbrain. A skilled butthole is still a butthole. The new system is purely about a player’s behaviour and not skill. The SR system already covers that.
And havin a 2 doesn’t neccessarily mean that player is misbehaving in any way. Maybe he/she has bad mechanical skill but is very cooperative and just needs some tips from a teammate (switch to another hero or positioning).
I think grouping assholes with assholes and nice players with nice players would change a lot.

1 Like

Ummm… the endorsement system is already built around promoting good behaviour and punishing bad behaviour. Sure, you could argue that it is missused in some cases, but almost all of the time, people will endorse the positive players. Also, how would your system work any differently in that regard? Wouldn’t people still upvote whomever they like and whoever they think deserves it? Nothing would change.

Top 3 reasons OW players endorse

1. someone played support. even if they sucked, just because they picked support they deserve it for some reason.
  2. LFG QP group of randoms
  3. Free XP, just endorse random people 4hed
  1. Endorse “Sportmanship” to the good widow on the enemy team, even if he/she was a toxic prick to their teammates.

So yes, I see your reasoning why the current endorsement system is indeed flawed, but it still kinda works. I actually see a lot more people pick healer or tank for instance, since playing that role will grant you more chance of getting an endorsement. It is flawed because many people endorse the wrong players, and good players are often rewarded more than positive players, but it’s better than having nothing.

And I don’t see how this proposed recommendation system is going to act differently than the endorsement system we now have. It is just going to be the same - people will still confuse sportmanship and positive attitude with good play.

It would work like this (including a dev speech):

Hello overwatchies my name is not jeff and i am not from the overwatch team!

We made some major changes to the endorsement system to deal with toxicity.

• Endorsements will be replaced by simple thumbs up recommendations for being nice and cooperative players. Don’t worry about skill - our SR system has that covered for you. It is just about whether you enjoyed playing with that player regardless of win or loss. Good losers still have fun with a nice team.

• XP will no longer awarded to the players recommending, but to players recommended.

• Recommendation level will not be visible - we don’t want you to see, but to feel it.
    Being a decent player will be rewarded. That much we can tell you :wink:

• For those who like it rough. Don’t worry, you don’t need to change anything. Just keep going. You get what you ask for. We love all of you :kissing_heart:

Don’t worry about false reports. With our new replay system, we can track everything. Even how players behaved in voice.

BTW: How about adding 2 report buttons with the new replay system?

You push a button and the last 10 secs or a screenshot get uploaded when abusive chat or whatever happened took place. Saves you a lot of trouble of categorizing and reading. You could even store it on client pcs till the matter is solved.

What do you guys think? I would love that. Click - upload proof. Dada!

1 Like

That is actually quite smart. It would make things simpler and more rewarding.

I appreciate the effort into thinking this through, but it still does not change the issue we have with endorsements now - if you can call it an issue. People will just keep recommending healers and tanks, or people that are good, rather than just nice and positive. The Mercy being the pinnacle of toxicity will still get more recommendations than the Widowmaker being nice and positive, you just can’t trust the community to recommend people for the right reasons. People in this game tend to call other people toxic just because they have a bad match.

I still don’t see the difference with the current endorsement system, apart from having two separate systems which is just redundant.

This is ow… Not csgo

Thank you captain obvious. I was drawing a comparison to a game a good portion of overwatch players also play.

Good idea in theory but I have been banned and warned for “Abusive chat” for all the wrong reasons my friends and I are often put in games with people throwing or being rude, and when we ask them to stop throwing the game or when they try to flame us and talk crap when we are the ones actually trying to win the game we obviously tell them where to go

So these morons are reporting us in retaliation knowing we are going to report them for the legitimate reason.

Its a flawed system altogether and the state of the game is extreemly toxic

That’s why I added the report upload - instant proof. Taking actions based on a report threshold is not really precise.

The new system would cover false reports and recommendations and is very “kind”: Even dumdums who don’t get details/how it works are taken care of.

I think this is a good Idea, and I think it could be improved further by dealing with the following problem: Mercy mains or healers in general usually get more endorsements than Widows or Sombras. That’s just psychological and not a problem in itself, but the current system doesn’t take it into account, and makes it appear like healers are the better team mates in general. I’m sure there are numbers to back that up, but it’s just what I noticed, and I play tanks and heal.

This is how to remove the Bias:
First, it would be some kind of score or percentile, and it would now be the average of all hero specific endorsement scores weighted by play time, so that your most played hero has the biggest effect on your endorsement score/level/whatever.

A hero specific endorsement score should show how many endorsements the player got playing that hero, compared to the average endorsements for that hero. So it would be a value that shows where you are compared to all other players of that hero.

Now an average mercy and an average widow have the same score.

Not bad, although I would generalize that to roles rather than heroes, to not complicate things too hard. So you have 3 endorsement levels rather than 1, each for every role. I think it would fit pretty well in a separate SR system for roles we might get when role queue kicks in.